Digital Radio

No changes yet here in Sydney on AM or Digital Radio with 2CH still playing Classic Hits on 1170AM and in stereo on DAB at 128kbps while Rete Italia is still on 1539AM.

4 Likes

SEN Track moves to 1593AM in Melbourne on Friday, July 3.

6 Likes

The bit that most interested me in that article…

It’s probably safe to presume that Rete Italia will use a slice of the 128kbps currently used by 2CH, but what about the rest? Surely SEN will want to have SEN Track and at least some form of a main SEN station on Sydney DAB+?

3 Likes

Assuming 3-A error protection is used, my prediction would be:
Niche Radio - 40kbps
SEN 1170 - 48kbps
SEN Track - 40kbps

This would put Niche and SEN Track in line with their Melbourne allocations, with the remaining 48kbps set aside for the main SEN station.

From memory, SEN3 is targeted towards NSW listeners (though streaming, naturally) - outside of simulcasting 1116 it airs Sportsday NSW and Super Rugby coverage pre-COVID. NSW regulation of gambling advertising around sports coverage is more strict than Victoria, so I believe some programs are interrupted on that stream for this purpose.

SEN2 seemed to simulcast 1377 for the most part, although it would be better utilised as a simulcast of SEN SA I’d suggest.

3 Likes

Why not just call it Rete Italia rather than ‘Niche Radio’? Would be far easier for listeners.

5 Likes

I’ve posted far too much in this thread today, however I think this post from @sm1611 last month might explain this:

I had assumed Niche Radio was dead and buried, but evidently it is not the case. According to Rete Italia, Niche is also broadcasting on 1620 AM in Melbourne but I don’t have a radio to hand that’ll go past 1611 AM so I can’t confirm.

4 Likes

Oh, so Rete Italia is just a time share on the wider frequency?

Makes more sense that way.

1 Like

Its confirmed. 3mp is back for good. Friday Night at 6pm according to a on air message on DAB+

4 Likes

On AM 1377 or just dab?

1 Like

IDK about 1377am since my DAB radio does not do AM

1 Like

Rete Italia (rather than Niche Radio Network program) was broadcasting in Melbourne on 1620kHz for a short while until earlier in the year. (2019/2020)
I haven’t heard them on this channel for many weeks.

Just discovered something else interesting about Rete Italia. They also have a new 100W HPON on 89.3 FM from Wollongong, NSW that they are leasing according to this page.
https://ilglobo.com/about-rete-italia-radio-network/tune-rete-italia/
Has anybody heard them on this frequency in Wollongong area?

5 Likes

Has there been any changes to DAB in Melbourne? It’s receivable in Wonthaggi today and usually drops out around Bass.

3 Likes

Possibly due to the phat high pressure system at the moment.

4 Likes

Yes I did, I was in Wollongong on the weekend.
Audio sounded dreadful but received ok in North Wollongong.

4 Likes

The second part of that can be easily overcome

3 Likes

Super Radio Network has Sydney DAB audio issues again.

ZOO has very low audio levels on right channel only (nothing at all on left).

2SM, Fun and Gorilla all OK though.

4 Likes

Random question based on some recent discussions on the 2SM digital stations. I was told once by ACMA in response to a query that any new FM licences that may be allocated in the future don’t necessarily get DAB spectrum with their licence. Does anybody know if that’s true? I guess the likelihood of new commercial licences is pretty slim

2 Likes

Agree that the likelihood of new FM licences in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane is very slim unless existing stations are forced to move, or off FM altogether.

It’s only slightly more likely in Adelaide and Perth where it could still be done, and there 9B hasn’t been allocated yet for DAB (unlike SYD, MEL and BNE).

2 Likes

Well they sold off the “excess” capacity, so other than Brisbane they’d need to launch new multiplexes to carry new stations, as there’s no mechanism to undo those capacity auctions as it was sold permanently.

Without going too far down the rabbit hole, that’s again a strength of DAB from the existing broadcaster perspective, the ability to fairly effectively lock out new competition and use the lack of capacity to entrench their market position.

That said, Perth and Brisbane, the places most likely to get new licences, do have the capacity to add either stations or no reason to not launch a second multiplex. Canberra is out of luck though, but a fifth licence there would be very unlikely anyway.

I would suggest however that a new FM station licensed to a market could take the multiplex operator to the ACCC and claim they are abusing the monopoly by denying them spectrum access they are theoretically entitled to.

6 Likes

It’s actually 9A that hasn’t been allocated in Adelaide & Perth, not 9B.

2 Likes