Digital Radio

Its a shame about 6ix. 2ca always promotes dab. I heard 105.7 fm covers a lot of Perth? Hows the audio?

1 Like

Thanks for that, I have learned quite a lot over the past 24 hours from everyone here thank you.

I am really quite surprised how far Winmalee gets out, and if it was the cause of the problem the such large area affected too.

My mother who lives at Oatley and listens to ABC classic fm on dab+ due to multipath interference on fm had perfect dab+ reception from Artarmon, also led me to thinking Winmalee was the rogue transmitter.

Re digital listening, Coles Radio wins the Dab ratings because people shop at Coles and can recall the station. Edge wins in Sydney because most people listen on fm so it gets included under digital listening.

I do agree the dab+ listening figures are way over cooked, considering it was us on media spy who identified a major transmission fault, made BA aware of it and got it resolved.

3 Likes

According to this article, guess what THE most useless piece of in car technology is for baby boomers?

https://www.motoring.com.au/top-10-car-technologies-that-baby-boomers-dont-rate-120160/

3 Likes

Based on my experience, indicators?

2 Likes

Considering the article is in general critical of new technologies in cars and portraying a grumpy baby boomer, I’m surprised he then pipes up at the end to say he doesn’t mind podcasts and music streaming.

1 Like

Heart in the UK is launching Heart 70s on DAB across the UK - with an actual live breakfast host.

Why can’t any of the Australian operators do something like this?

2 Likes

Because digital radio is bigger in the UK than it is here, and we have about 1/3rd of their population?

Digital radio is bigger there because it’s actually promoted and has operators that see it as an asset. Population isn’t really a factor IMO. We have 5 pretty big cities which have plenty of population and revenue to support DAB only stations if they knew how to do it. Don’t forget commercial operators in this country have the advantage in that they don’t have to deal with a competitor like the BBC, which is much more mainstream (eg Radio 1 and 2 - both on FM/DAB and both appealing to masses).

3 Likes

It’s only there to reduce royalty costs, I’m surprised they can’t run it at a lower bit rate. What is the lowest bit rate can you run audio on the DAB+ setup we have?

It’s a shame. SCA do no marketing of them. MMM Country is a station in a box programmed by David Burton and team at 4GR for their very successful FM HPON 91.5. Gerry and Frank are clients along with the regional hub national bulletins.

As for ABC radio on TV, there’s no excuse for not following SBS into specific commercial market feeds. Those TV commercial markets prett well cover the ABC local radio coverage areas.

I’m still waiting for ABC TV’s 7pm news audio to be available on radio, it’s a total waste not to make it available.

As for Barry Dyson’s motoring website article, a pox on him, digital radio matters to me and I’m sure many others appreciate the removal of the am/fm divide.

4 Likes

I’ll dive deep into the issue of ABC Local Radio on DVB-T shortly, but what I’d really like to know is whether or not listenership of these transmissions is going to be counted in the radio ratings by GFk and Xtra Insights in the future.

I’m sure if it was technically possible with how their DVB-T multiplexes are set up, the ABC would try and ensure that everyone gets their most relevant version of ABC Local Radio via Digital TV.

But it’s to my understanding that the only real localisation for ABC-TV these days (aside from timezone differences and the like) is in state/territory feeds for the main channel (which you could only really tell during the relatively rare occasions that radio station promos were airing), previously there was a “capital city” and “regional” feed of the main channel but I believe that’s no longer.

Would it be better if ABC were to have the relevant local radio station on DVB-T in each market? Absolutely. But considering the circumstances, I think having the relevant state/territory capital city version of ABC Local Radio broadcast on DVB-T across the whole state/territory (eg, ABC Radio Sydney across NSW, ABC Radio Melbourne across Victoria, etc.) is a reasonable enough compromise. At least you’re going to get the shows that are already broadcast state/territory-wide on ABC Local Radio via the TV transmissions.

1 Like

I thought that was still the case for SBS at least

1 Like

Last I checked, SBS Sydney and SBS NSW (regional) ran different commercials.

5 Likes

Good question. They’d have to adapt & include then in the radio ratings surely?

If I understand correctly, for ABC Local Radio Network, during the Ashes Test Match, where the cricket coverage is aired on the ABC AM & FM network, the usual Nightlife program (and maybe/probably evening & Overnight program?) will be aired on the DVB-T & DAB+ transmitters.

3 Likes

Correct. Same Local Radio feed that is on VAST, Foxtel, ABC Listen app, DAB+ and now DVB-T.

1 Like

Hobart FM, a community radio station in Hobart popped up on the 9A mux this morning. Currently running at 64kbps 3A. Putting out silence at the moment.

7 Likes

From what I can see, the ‘Program 01’ test channel on 9A in Hobart disappeared at 8:15 PM on Thursday night. I’d assume Hobart FM came on at the same time. I’ll post an update (with audio) once we see some programming on the Hobart FM channel!

2 Likes

Hobart FM is now play audio

1 Like

What happened to the 7HO Classic Hits stream is it still going I enjoyed immensely

It’s still on the air, but I pulled down my stream.

Audio on the Hobart FM DAB+ service came on the air at 1:40 AM this morning!

4 Likes