Digital Radio

It is now, I have suspicion it wasn’t at launch (though I defer to the Perthians on here!).
Appears it is no longer on the Brisbane 9A mux either.

1 Like

is it coles in Tas that doesn’t have flybuys but a diffrent much more generous loyalty scheme?

edit: i stand corrected… it’s woolies with the separate scheme for tassie

Brisbane has Coles, Coles CBD and Coles Tas.

1 Like

Yeah we only got Coles Radio once NovaNation shut down.

1 Like

I’ve just checked and it was Christmas Eve/December 24, 2013 that NovaNation was replaced by Coles Radio here in Sydney. Can’t remember whether the launch timing was similar in the other four metro markets.

Either way, I think NovaNation might’ve survived for a little while as an online-only station after the launch of Coles Radio.

1 Like

Till August 2016,

1 Like

No one is allocated a bitrate. Stations are allocated a certain amount of capacity units. Even ACMA got that one wrong, by saying community radio stations get a pool of “256 kbps” on their website.

Capacity units are a constant value - they’re not affected by bitrate or error protection etc etc…

Each commercial station is allocated 1/9th of the multiplex (there are 864 capacity units per mux), and the citywide RA1 stations get allocated a pool of 192 capacity units, which the stations then decide amongst themselves (with the help of the CBAA DRP) on how the bandwidth gets distributed among stations in the pool.

2 Likes

Speaking of NovaNation I’m working on an AV system for a large Community venue which has a Denon HEOS Superlink 4 channel streamer the control app of which under the TuneIn tab still lists NovaNation as a local Sydney station. @tx42’s Pulse FM is also listed under Sydney stations.

Come to think of it aren’t My Canberra Digital and My Perth Digital long gone as well?

1 Like

No, they’re still on the air.

1 Like

All ‘digital’ stations get listed as local in every Australian city… The “Pulse FM Australia” listing was originally “JNET Radio Australia”, the station I ran before Pulse. When I shut JNET down, I decided to keep its place in the national list on Tunein, so I changed it to Pulse FM Australia.

4 Likes

So you ran that, I remeber that when I was running Pulse Radio Sydney at the same time. Small world.

1 Like

Looks like JB HI FI style price tags, need I say more.

On a different matter, has the Radio TAB carriage finished in Darwin now the multiplex has moved from test to actual licence? @4TAB-1008kHz

Exactly and the extra spectrum available in Brisbane for such purposes.

Space. 2/9 of Cat 1 multiplex for community. The main three east coast capitals therefore have 4/18 for community. The 2/9 of each multiplex is for the community stations to decide allocation, not simply 64kbps each.

In simple terms, the analogue RA1 licence gives you the allocation (if licensee chooses) to digital spectrum, either as shareholder or access seeker.

The digital allocation is dependent on the analogue licence - hence no new digital only licensees with their own DAB+ only spectrum.

When the legislation was drafted, I remember the discussion here or elsewhere of it being open and flexible so such situations like Edge or Joy would be possible.

Correct @SydneyCityTV, Nova Nation and its website lasted online for some time after its run on DAB+ ended.

3 Likes

As seen on the SMH online, don’t know if it’s an advertorial or genuine article on Coles Radio and to a lesser extent digital radio. Interesting none the less…

How Coles came to dominate digital-only radio

Link

I still miss NovaNation but!

3 Likes

Jay and the team at Commercial Road are never shy of speaking up for Coles Radio. Good on them. Brett Nozz Nossiter at ARN now also one of the many fathers of its success.

Is it an advertorial you ask? A new blurry line in journalism where ‘independent always’ journalists would never be asked to write such a story, but you know the KPIs in some categories will reflect a sparkling boost if you can get printed stories that are favourable of clients. Fairfax/Nine would never admit to it, but it happens in many newsrooms of many companies.

A loss for the genre to be no longer represented on DAB+ in most markets and reduction of choice for the DAB+ audience.

It was no Wild FM at its peak however, didn’t grab my attention, perhaps I was beginning to age beyond the music or perhaps the selection wasn’t compelling?

1 Like

i’m still dubious on these figures honestly. i think there are people who say they listen to coles radio because they shop there, and some who say they listen on digital because the radio they listen on has a digital display, not knowing any difference.

5 Likes

Its messy now. Maybe they should combine the ratings
No matter its dab or internet or AM/FM or even if you in the supermarket listening to the radio just list it out.

2 Likes

Just a update to the music log being broadened out for triple m classic rock i like how they have broadened out the music log for it. Good mix programmed to it its a good thing but imo they should rename it to Triple M classic it would make better sense in my opinion but so far liking the broadened out music log.

1 Like

Not sure if it’s just me, but I’m only getting an open carrier on all the Sydney wide community stations on 9B. The commercial stations on this mux are unaffected.

3 Likes

Telstra fibre break, supposedly just outside the Artarmon TX site, happened about 6:30am this morning, don’t know how & don’t know when it’ll be fixed?
We had our TPG office fibre break just outside the TX site the other day too, again don’t know how?

6 Likes

Thanks- good to know it’s not my receiver (I did do a factory reset- still nothing of course).

1 Like