Digital Radio

A good auto electrician interested in audio should do the trick, they’ll have done their homework long before your call and be interested enough to follow all this online, have downloaded the appropriate software if it exists.

This is what the automotive industry is about these days, keeping ahead by learning what you can online and accessing the data you need for your mechanic or auto electrician business.

So with Kinderling switching hands from SCA’s spectrum to ARN’s spectrum in a few days, has there been any official announcements as to what’s being dropped from ARN’s spectrum to make room for Kinderling, and/or what SCA are going to do with their extra space?

2 Likes

It seems that Kinderling Kids is moving from 9A to 9B on 1 July in Sydney.

There is currently scrolling text advising “Kinderling is moving - hit rescan on 1 July”.

And there is a test station on 9B titled KRTEST, running at 32 kbps.

2 Likes

Yeah, it was announced at the end of May that Kinderling was changing it’s alliances from SCA to ARN - hence why a retune will be needed on Sunday.

Here in Sydney, I would not be surprised if SCA fill the gap that Kinderling is leaving behind by moving Triple M Country to the 9A or “DAB+ Sydney 1” multiplex in-line with the network’s other stations.

On the ARN side of things, of course all their DAB+ only offerings are now 32kbps as a result of “KRTEST” being added to the lineup - gonna be quite interesting to see how (or even if) Elf Radio fits in come the festive season!

2 Likes

Which is running Kinderling itself, letting you directly compare both stations.

Here’s a sample of both (FLAC files inside) - MEGA

3 Likes

Got the KRTEST station in Perth now as well, at 32kbps.

The 80’s and The Edge are also still here, at 32kbps, but 96fm has been cut to shreds down to 32kbps now as well. To think a couple of years ago it was at 128kbps :frowning:

Probably this that @killy06 found: Hit Network - #2189 by killy06

3 Likes

Following on from my last post, here’s the current list of commercial and community stations on Perth DAB (9B)

1080 6ix    48
6EBA        32
6PR	        48 (was 64)
96FM	    32 (was 48)
Buddha      48 
Capital     48
Coles       32
Curtin      48
Easy Hits   48
HIT 929     56 (was 48)
Inspire     64
Kinderling	48
KRTEST      32
KIX Country	32
MIX 94.5	56 (was 64)
MacquarieSp 48
MMM Classic	48
MyPerthDigi 48
Noongar     64
Nova 937	48
NTS         32 (was 64)
Oldskool	48 (was 40)
RTR FM      48
Smooth FM	48
Sonshine	64
The 80s     32
The Edge	32 (was 48)
VA Radio	32
X Digital	32

SCA appear to have balanced out their primary stations, both at 56kbps, and all their digitals at 48kbps.

4 Likes

I feel lucky 2CH is at 128 K. Its a shame 6IX is only at 48.

2 Likes

“Good grief Charlie Brown!”
Such miserable bit rates you have in Perth for the commercial/community DAB+ stations .
Just looked at the ACMA DAB list & realised that you only have the two mux blocks 9B & 9C,
the later obviously for SBS/ABC.
Surely they could/should open up 9A band in Perth…
Pity fidelity rates a poor second to economics… don’t they realise listeners have ears?

6 Likes

AFAIK the number of blocks allocated depended on the number of commercial radio stations in each market. Luckily Brisbane made it over the line to be allocated 3. Not so for Adelaide and Perth that have fewer commercial stations.

5 Likes

Yeah agree there should be rule all stations must be 64k or above. I know one can argue no need for talk. Although not everyone on this forum are fans of 2gb and Macquarie sports but both stations should great with the audio. Triple M AFL and NRL also sound great. So talk does not have to 32 k mono :slight_smile: Can we open up 9D in Sydney set a minimum and allocate more Ks and then be done with it?

I’m surprised the Perth/Adelaide stations haven’t experimented with lower error correction levels - either to squeeze more services or slightly increase bit rates.

1 Like

9D is meant to be either for suburban community radio or regional radio e.g. Newcastle-Gosford-Wollongong

2 Likes

As predicted, Urban Hits has replaced SCA’s Kinderling.

They are currently running a rescan your radio loop, with the station to start on Monday.

3 Likes

Transitional Kinderling to Urban Hits slideshow DAB+ image file (for interest/history):

2 Likes

Hoping this means that Oldskool hits can return to 80’s and 90’s like it was under ‘More digital’ and all those silly mashups/medleys will fall off the playlist.

2 Likes

Or Relaunch as Classic Hits playing 60’s to Early 90’s Music.

2 Likes

Or Relaunch as 24/7 fart sounds. :rofl: Call it Red Hot Rips. :rofl:

1 Like

Speaking of DAB+ slideshows, does anyone know how long Joy via “Zed” here in Sydney has had one?
JoyviaZedSydneyDAB%20SlideshowJuly2018%231
JoyviaZedSydneyDAB%20SlideshowJuly2018%232JoyviaZedSydneyDAB%20SlideshowJuly2018%233

Aside from the station name, the program data (images & text) is probably also being transmitted in Melbourne?

2 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a JOY slideshow before, I just checked via Melbourne DAB and all I have is just the logo in the Slideshow, no program data.

Very slow to load too.

2 Likes