Digital Radio - Content

Would someone be able to please post the current Brisbane and/or Gold Coast DAB allocations on here? Would be interesting to see the difference between Bris, GC, Syd and Mel.

You’ve grouped the stations based on whose bandwidth it is. Is it possible to determine this by looking at the metadata in the DAB bitstream, or do you just know and you’ve grouped it yourself?

It’s not difficult to know which stations belong to who, so grouping them together didn’t create much effort.

You can also see it on some car DAB radios as they are also grouped together by station bandwidth (i.e. Niche radio - SKY Sports Radio, Radio Maria - Nova, Disrupt and Vision - SEN).

1 Like

I suppose this is what I was really asking about. What does this look like on these radios?

1 Like

They are listed in order of bandwidth and mux, for example 9A followed by 9B and 9C. The SCA stations are grouped together depending on the mux they are on, ditto ARN and NOVA etc.

3AW now has time pips on DAB+. I don’t know why this has changed, as they are a few seconds delayed compared to the AM broadcast.

They still don’t have time pips via their internet stream, whereas 2GB does. Not sure if 2GB has time pips over DAB+.

2 Likes

I have to ask why would 3AW put time pips on DAB+?

Time pips have to be inserted at the transmitter site these days to be accurate, even on AM/FM, the digital studio to transmitter links will introduce a delay that makes them not accurate if they’re inserted at the Studio.

I can say the DAB+ time pips won’t be at the transmitter site, the only thing the broadcasters have at the DAB+ transmission sites is a Fibre NTU & router, the rest is all part of the multiplexing network commonly shared/used which in itself will introduce a time delay.

As for having them on their internet stream, that is just stupid, farcical & a waste of time, internet streams are generally 20 - 40 seconds at best practise, delayed from actually leaving the studio, so they’ll be nowhere near accurate.

3 Likes

Probably just for nostalgic value and aesthetics, even if not accurate timewise.

3 Likes

Hot Tomato’s time pips were from the rack and accurate.

I agree different links will add delay and this wouldn’t be possible.

1 Like

The AM audience would be less likely to understand how outdated the pips are in 2024 as like most people in the world, they just plug things in and press the “on” button.

“I am one of those people who are quite happy to wear cotton but have no idea how it works!” – Mr. E. Blackadder in Blackadder the Third.

1 Like

If they were really worried about lag, they could always send the pips out a few seconds early to factor in the delay.

1 Like

They’re not that important anyway, no one uses them to set their watches or anything, and the top of the hour is always mentioned anyway.

1 Like

SBS Radio 3 no longer has BBC World Service 24 hours a day.

Now they have local ethnic programs from 11:00 am to 5:0 Pm Monday to Friday.

8 Likes

I believe this has been happening for a few months. Was announced back in September last year.

It’s a wonder why the BBC WS haven’t installed a transmitter in Sydney. They’ve done so in Auckland (810 AM) Singapore (88.9) and Berlin (94.8) among other global cities in the West. Of course the BBC has a big presence in the developing world, particularly in Africa.

4 Likes

Probably much harder in our country with the lower levels of competition we have?

They would probably need to buy a commercial licence, not sure if they would qualify for a HPON?

They did run a VHF NAS service for ages on the 151 MHz band.

Increasingly, news that reports the facts without embellishment or sensationalism is a narrowcast format…

1 Like

Weird blank channel showing up on Brisbane DAB 2 playing music but no name or anything associated with service! Wonder what it is

3 Likes

It’s a copy of Nova Nation and popped up at the beginning of the week on Brisbane 2 along with Nova Nation. Nova Nation is already on Brisbane 1.

3 Likes

Yeah seen that pop up and wondered the same thing until i worked out it was Nova Nation when i heard an ID

It appears Nova Nation is going to be on both 9A and 9B

1 Like