Daylight Saving

Social media is filled with complaints this morning. All 3 major telcos, Telstra, Optus, and Vodafone have set their network time to AEDT in QLD causing many to have their phones automatically adjust to DST.

6 Likes

Mines not, in fact during the night I noticed my phone now displays two times, local Queensland time and local Melbourne time. On holiday in Queensland , with Optus.

2 Likes

Meanwhile on the DAB front, all three of our Sangean DCR-89 radios are stuck on AEST, and setting the clock manually is reset almost immediately. Will try for a factory reset

Edit: Have done a factory reset - still defaulting to AEST. I suspect someone hasn’t updated the time on the Melbourne multiplexes yet. Synced to the ABC FM services (Classic/triple j) instead and that works

2 Likes

Another example of why QLD really needs some sort of trial or education programme.

A bit of discussion on DST at work today and one person honestly believed that daylight saving was the same thing as “Earth Hour” when everyone turns off their lights for an hour. No wonder people say they don’t want it when they just seem to have absolutely no idea what it is

2 Likes

Meanwhile… I ended up putting in an extra 15 minutes at work today. The sun was shining and it was a warm 21 degrees outside and it seemed more like just after lunch than 5:15pm. So disappointed, I was out of there very quickly once I realised!

2 Likes

Have just spent two days in Melbourne and it’s odd but I’ve really noticed the time difference with sunrise here. I thought I was going crazy but checked my cameras at home and they were in much stronger light than here. Had a look and there’s a full 12 minutes difference between sunrise here and sunrise back home, yet only two minutes difference at the end of the day.

Tonight and tomorrow morning are going to be a huge shock though… Heading to the Gold Coast and it’s going to be liike the middle of summer in the morning with 5am sunrise and then like mid winter with sunset prior to 6pm. I’m sure if I mention that anywhere though there’ll be a huge range of opinions!

3 Likes

Though I would think that Tasmania should start to have more daylight hours than Victoria before long (I’m surprised that it hasn’t already now that we are past the spring equinox).

Sorry, other way round. I’ve noticed it with Tassie having the longer days. Seemed much darker in Melbourne and the way early sunset tonight will be noticed, a combo of no daylight saving and usual equinox swings.

1 Like

Perfect summation of the situation here in Queensland.
It’s not quite as bad in NQ, but it’s not much better. It’s well and truly daylight by 5:15am already, and it’s pretty much dark by 6:30pm.
Despite the fact that polling and government research continually shows the majority of the population support it, the government and opposite have this weird idea that they’d lose the election if they implement it, which is really the only reason nothing is getting done about it here.

2 Likes

After a couple of days here I must say I’m really confused by it! But the confusion is self generated by the government. It was starting to get light from 4:30 this morning and the kids have both been up at 5:30 because it’s like day but they have also gone to bed before 7 which has been weird because it’s full night.
The whole TV and radio thing is weird too, very reminiscient of all the changes required when Tassie used to go a month early.
Nine and NBN and Seven and Prime7 seem to run hybrid NSW./Qld schedules which is weird. Can’t retune the TV and it still has the SC10 stations which no longer work so can’t check out what the WIN coverage is like.
On the radio I’ve been listening to the ABC and they seem to get their own AM and early AM bulletins which is good but they also have to give the time calls in both time zones and when discussing events they mention some in NSW time and others in QLD time.

I can understand there would be a detriment to those in northern Qld with DLS, what about the west? I think I could support a line somewhere splitting the state to implement it because for the poopulation area here in SE Qld I can see it is ridiculous. Where would the line be drawn? Or would they just include the GC, SC and Brisbane areas?

2 Likes

People always seem to say that and I don’t understand why. I live in North QLD, and I cannot possibly see anything but benefits from DST.
The only argument I ever hear about DST being a detriment is that it will “be too hot”.
But it’s already hot all day and all night in Summer anyway, changing the time on the clock by 1 hour makes no difference to that.
In the summer, the temperature variation between day and night is usually only about 5 degrees, if you assume it takes 12 hours for the temperature to rise and fall, that’s a one hourly difference of 0.4°C. The “heat” argument is hardly worth people getting worked up about!

3 Likes

It seem that in Brasil, DST bumper is SUPER-REQUIRED, and there are 4 types of DST bumper:

1. “Next Sunday, daylight saving time will began…”
  2. “daylight saving time is started, please set your clock…”
  3. “Next Sunday, daylight saving time will end…”
  4. “daylight saving time is ended, please set your clock…”

Example:

In the Northeast (Nordeste) region, Globo even have an “educational programme” about DST every year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l28JCKPEUiE

That region also receives a seperate DST bumper.

On Band (or Bandeirantes TV), to avoid confusion, these words are shown (Applied for these states:…)

If you are curious about time zone in Brazil, here is the time zone:

That’s why when you see their TV listings, you can see the network is splitted to many feeds.

AUSTRALIA TV, take notes please, #myfriends.

1 Like

Same as Australia, 3 zones in winter, 5 in summer… south adopts summer time, north and west don’t.

2 Likes

Yep, but check again… and it’s very weird:

Globo Nordeste is based in Recife, why they transmit DST bumper (although slightly localised) to the Globo’s affiliates that take national/network programming from Nordeste feed if that region has no DST, #myfriend?

(Globo TV only have 5 O&O stations - Rio de Jainero (RIo), Sao Paulo (Sao Paulo), Brasilla (Brasilla), Belo Horizonte (Minas) and Recife (Nordeste), whlist Bandeirantes and Record have 14-15 O&O stations.

These networks also operate a seperate feed on satellite - but while Record and Bandeirantes could opt-out some of the Sao Paulo’s feed’s listings, Globo Nacional (as it is called) only opt-out programming during local news like this:

Globo Local: Bom Dia Praca (local early morning news before Bom Dia Brasil), Praca TV 1 (local noon news), Praca TV 2 (evening local news)

Globo Nacional: Jornal GloboNews at 6AM during Bom Dia Praca (GloboNews is a cable news channel), children’s programming during Praca TV 1, Brasil TV (ala-WIN’s All Australian News) during Praca TV 2)

Sorry if i’m talking off topic, #myfriends

1 Like

@KnowItAll I found why Globo Nordeste still transmit DST bumper, #myfriend:

Globo’s master control facilities are either in Sao Paulo or Rio de Jainero - and both regions have DST whlist Northeast region hasn’t.

But the massage on the bumper is different:

Globo Rio/Sao Paulo/Brasilla: “please adjust you clock”
Globo Nordeste: “please be aware of changes in schedule/time of programmes”

I would have assumed that regardless of where the headquarters of a network might be they would have various regional feeds for local ads and news etc. if that’s the case the DST bumper could be inserted into regions where relevant?

2 Likes

The regional news service was known as Praca TV (if you are talking about Globo).

Globo’s regional news services always have:

Local early morning news (Bom Dia Praca)

Noon local news (Praca 1)

Evening local news (Praca 2)

The name of regional news services are (in order: name of region - name of station - name of program):

Rio de Jainero - Globo Rio - RJTV

Sao Paulo - Globo Sao Paulo - SPTV

Brasilla (Brasil’s capital) - Globo Brasilla - DFTV

Belo Horizonte - Globo Minas - MGTV

Recife - Globo Nordeste - NETV

Of couse, U are right - All Brasil’s TV networks have various regional feeds for local ads and news.

But on satellite (Star One C2), local ads and news are always opted out. Previously, these slots was filled with black stuff or time on the black background. Later, seperate national ads began appering on the local ads slot. On Globo, from 2003, evening local news was filled by Brasil TV (an ala-WIN’s All Australian News program), then from 2004, noon local news was filled by… children’s shows.

In the early morning, Bom Dia Praca would be filled by, from 2012, Jornal GloboNews at 6AM from GloboNews, the Globo’s cable news channel.

2 Likes

@KnowItAll

Also if you want to know how feed was splitted, check Bandeirantes TV listings here, #myfriend:

1 Like

I was caught out this morning by our lack of DST in QLD.

The neighbours dog was barking early this morning, which woke me up. I have some pretty good blockout curtains but I could see plenty of light coming in around them, so figured the 6:45am alarm must have been about to go off so decided I may as well get out of bed.
Once I did, I discovered it was 5:30am…

7 Likes

We already have a thread for that.

1 Like