Daylight Saving

Bring on DST, love it that he days are getting longer as Australia heads towards summer solstice :

1 Like

I’m in a motel in Melbourne tonight and the room service menu has a “Chicken Parmagena”

2 Likes

I’m thinking of the cows…

About just how delicious they are. :rofl:

4 Likes

Don’t forget the curtains!

1 Like

Except when they beat your Knights… like tonight.

1 Like

I’m in absolute pain, and you had to add to it with that, @Radiohead - thanks :disappointed_relieved:

I am half kidding, I know we didn’t do ourselves any favours in the 2nd half. I am on antibiotics and codeine forte as we speak

2 Likes

Ooh, two points. That must hurt

1 Like

In late 2006, I had a look at the West Australian newspaper and noticed that Western Australia will adjust clocks to one hour with the 3-year Trial. Western Australia commenced Daylight saving on the 3rd Dec 2006, a day after the 2006 TV ratings ended. I’ve read through The Age about the Perth Ashes Test that began one hour late. Nine News Perth was shown at a later time at 7PM. I noticed that a Qantas Flight from Perth to HK departed at 10:30AM (Perth Time) and landed at 5:15Pm due to daylight saving in WA. The fourth Ashes Test at the MCG telecast began at 8:30AM (WDT) and ended at 4PM (WDT).
The One Day Cricket started at 11:30am and finished at 8pm. Nine News Perth was shown at a later time at 8PM (while other states had the News at 6pm.) The ratings were much higher than usual.
I didn’t enjoy the Daylight Saving in Western Australia because there was too much energy consumption during the summer. Christmas Eve-Boxing Day 2007 was too damn hot with temperatures over 40 degrees. Not just that but Daylight Saving in Western Australia is pointless. For example, if a passenger want to fly from Perth to Tokyo non-stop you wouldn’t have to set your watches forward (Qantas used to fly Perth-Tokyo but stopped in 2011).
A referendum was held for permanent basis of daylight saving to be introduced from late 2009 onwards. My family including myself said that they don’t want daylight saving in Western Australia and decided to vote against it. Western Australia had five failed referendums of daylight saving.

Although I probably agree with anyone who says that Western Australia doesn’t need Daylight Saving…

High energy consumption and 40°C+ temperatures would’ve been a thing in Perth during the Summers of 2006-07, 2007-08 and 2008-09 even without the DST trial?

3 Likes

Exactly! The last trial in QLD was around 1989/90/91 (approx.) and I know people that lived through the trial that will mention that DST made it “hotter”, simply because one of the summers during the trial just happened to be hotter than average! :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

The only thing I can say about energy consumption and Daylight Saving is that on weeknights, households are probably more likely to need to run their air conditioners for a extra hour in the evening as they will effectively get home from work an hour earlier in relation to sunset ie. at 5pm local time when sunset might be say 9pm WDT vs 8pm WST.

3 Likes

Not as much as my leg.

The original energy saving point was for Tasmania back when it was first introduced. When everything was all Hydro Energy (as it still mostly is) and there were no air conditioners or high consumption devices the theory was if the daylight goes into the evening further, the lights will be turned on later meaning less electricity consumption and higher dam levels.
Certainly not much of a consideration these days with air conditioning and depending on how the electricity is generated it probably doesn’t make much of a difference.

3 Likes

But why do you need it? North Queensland is closer to the equator than the rest of the country.

What difference does that make?
The sun sets before 7pm here year-round, right through the summer.

Why does us being closer to the equator mean we can’t enjoy later sunsets like everyone else down south does.
Even with DST, sunset would still be earlier here than it is in all of NSW, VIC, and TAS.

Answered your own question there. To make it worth it, you would need to put the clock out by more than an hour. It’s not worth it.

I personally think Daylight Savings sucks and used to enjoy living in Townsville where I didn’t have to worry about changing clocks and all the crap that goes with it.

Wanna have a longer sunset? Ask your boss to start and finish an hour earlier.

3 Likes

Bingo @AlanCramer - I’m with you there. I was born and bred in NSW with DST and now live in QLD. I prefer no DST. For me I work usually 5-2 so I enjoy summer where I can work all day in nice daylight. Some of my colleagues start earlier in Summer to take advantage of longer days. We’re lucky to be in a job that allows that though!

2 Likes

I agree, in reality it would be great if it could be more than 1 hour later, but 1 hour is better than nothing. At least we’d be able to enjoy daylight until 8pm instead of 7pm.

For myself, and many others, that’s just not possible!

1 Like

That was the case for Western Australia where they had the 3-year Daylight saving trial. In dec 2006, Sunrise began at 6:03am and Sunset at 8:20pm.

Was that every day in December or one you’ve selected to suit your argument (the longest one) or just something random??
Tasmania has longer days than that in summer, we happily have daylight savings, our longest day is 15 hours and 21 minutes. Without daylight savings it would be daylight by 4.30am.

4 Likes