Cyclone Debbie

Media Watch should be interesting next week.

7 Likes

Nine’s late edition news

2 Likes

News 24 running overnight again, with reporters still live after 1am (midnight QLD)…

4 Likes

Late bulletin for Queensland

Both Today and Sunrise are live into Queensland again this morning.

Presenter and Reporter locations today:

Today has Lisa and Natalia in Bowen and Karl at Emergency HQ in Brisbane, with Tim and Sylvia in the studio. Reporters Jess Milward in Airlie Beach, Phil Willmington in Mackay, Rob Morrison in Home Hill, Emily Prain in Rockhampton.

Sunrise has Sam, Michael Usher and Nat at Breaky Central, Kochie and Edwina in Bowen, Sam Mac in Airlie Beach. Reporters Paul Burt in Bowen, Bianca Stone in Mackay, Leisa Goddard at Emergency HQ in Brisbane.

3 Likes

I mean - it’s daytime Australian TV - what makes for better entertainment / ratings?

The Midday (1997) Movie, Ellen, The Daily Edition or live coverage of a cyclone?

I think the later

1 Like

I think it’s really telling and ridiculous of the way Australian TV works that stations 1000km away in Brisbane and Sydney offer better coverage than the local stations in North Queensland.

No one can tell a local story better than a local station.

Yet in Australia they are so understaffed and under equipped - they have to rely on stations 1000km and the network in Sydney to cover a story unfolding in their own backyard.

4 Likes

Some coverage

2 Likes

Meanwhile back in Sydney

1 Like

2 Likes

That’s plain wrong. None of the local stations have the resources and playout facilities to handle coverage.

Brisbane is the only logical centre of coverage for Nine.

Sorry should rephrase. No one (should) be able to tell local story better than a local station. The fact they don’t have the resources is the problem.

Lots of the presenters in the region yesterday come from the North. I believe Karl Stefanovic started his career in Cairns?

Sarah Harris who co-hosted Studio 10’s coverage yesterday is a Queenslander who started her career at 7 Brisbane.

1 Like

Morning News 11am AEDT National

Morning News 11am AEST Queensland

Seven coverage finihsed midday Qld time

3 Likes

No Today Extra for Queensland :frowning: Instead

Nine also finished in Queensland at midday.

4 Likes

So when did The Morning Show start, 10:30am AEDT?

Did Seven resume regular programming from midday AEDT?

1 Like

@LukeMovieMan l switched over to Seven at 10.40am and TMS was on and looking at twitter it could have started around 10.30am?

1 Like

It was just after 9:20 am in Queensland - Sunrise closer:

4 Likes

Thanks.

Yep, so 10:20am AEDT (Melb & Syd).

It’d have been ridiculous for any network to continue with rolling coverage throughout today!

Any thoughts and/or opinions on why The Today Show (in fact Ch 9 in general) performed so poorly (against Ch 7) yesterday during the Cyclone coverage? Ch 10 apparently even worse :confused:

One factor that sucked me into Sunrise for a bit (even if it’s a bad reason), is the amount of reporters on stand-by for live crosses, as well as their analysis/points, including Kochie on location in Bowen. Paul Burt (albeit how ridiculous he turned-out to be) was also another factor, for someone way down South, pained a very realistic picture.

1 Like