Cricket

It’s not about the quality of the lights @Super_SC , they play sports at night there including cricket. Obviously night cricket is played with a white or pink ball.

It’s the rules of test cricket. The red ball is harder to see once artificial light takes over. If the light doesn’t get any better after the umpires have deemed it bad enough to stop playing, they can’t go back on.

Edit: the lights were upgraded in 2007.

4 Likes

The lights are so poor and need to be upgraded. Similar when they have afl matches.

OK Lumiere, they were upgraded in 2007. They’re not the same lights installed for WSC.

I think when they have play for tomorrow they might have lights on when there’s Cloudy weather. :wink:

Yes, as they did today, yesterday, in Melbourne last week…

Yesterday India delayed taking the new ball because the light was poor even though the lights were on.

There’s nothing wrong with the scg lights the problem lays in the laws of cricket.

1 Like

From what I recall once they go off for bad light for the first time during the game, the umpires are obligated to take the players from the ground once light falls below that benchmark at any other time during the game. The umpires are the sole judge in this instance, they no longer offer the light to the batting team. Artificial light cannot be considered in such judgements, although for the next test against Sri Lanka this will be irrelevant as it’s a designated Day/Night game.

Correct. The initial reading taken is the ‘low water mark’ for light for the rest of the game.

It’s a pity the SCG is located so close to the coast as just a little further inland where I am, there’s been no rain all day. I would have preferred the Aussies earning a draw under their own steam rather than being helped by the Maroubra Mizzle.

1 Like

The fourth and final test between Australia and India at the SCG has ended in a draw after rain washed out most of yesterday afternoon and all of this morning. Play was officially abandoned at 2.30pm AEDT today, meaning India has won the series 2-1, and has also won a test series in Australia for the very first time.

1 Like

Yesterday’s crowd on day 4 was 18 797, but today was much lower than usual. Three reasons: 1. Australia had lost the series, 2. The rain was a factor for the match, 3. Some people have started going to work. It was boring to watch as some people are tired of the chat during the rain delay. I was at the gym watching the replay of the 2nd Test between Australia and India from Perth Stadium due to the rain delay. The ratings for day 5 will be much lower than usual.

1 Like

Yes it’s a shame the last Test has fizzled out this way, even though only two results were really possible (draw or India win).

Surely Australia can’t lose to Sri Lanka in the next 2 Tests.

Our bowlers should rout SL in the D/N test up in Brisbane, though Canberra will probably produce a more even contest. New Zealand must be wishing that they were touring right now.

1 Like

@OnAir thoughts? You’ve seen the Sri Lankans play recently

I watched a few of the test matches between NZ and Sri Lanka and they weren’t great but I don’t think Australia’s recent effort was great either.

1 Like

Sri Lanka have brittle opening batsmen, a decent 3/4/5, then no other batting. Their bowling, with the exception of Suranga Lakmal, lacks any real innovation. They are in serious rebuild mode after a lot of retirements. Australia should be too good in home conditions.

4 Likes

20-year-old Will Pucovski is the shock inclusion in the Australian test squad to face Sri Lanka later this month. Joe Burns and Matt Renshaw have also been recalled, while Aaron Finch, Peter Handscomb, Shaun and Mitch Marsh have been dropped.
Although desperate times call for desperate measures, I think it’s a bit too early to select Pucovski. He had just played eight first-class matches.

2 Likes

Hasn’t he taken leave for the last 12 months as well?

If this is the day night squad vs Sri Lanka in Brisbane. My batting order will follow as:
Will Pucovski
Marcus Harris
Joe Burns
Matt Renshaw
Usman Khawaja
Tim Paine (wicketkeeper + captain)
Marnus Labuschagne
Patrick Cummins
Mitchell Starc
Nathan Lyon
*Josh Hazlewood

*Josh Hazlewood was named as vice captain. I think Hazlewood deserves more leadership skills.

Is there no International T20 this year? Besides the BBL that’s the only international series that I’d like to go and see

He’s had 3 concussion lay offs in the last 18 months-ish.

Hmmmm, not sure about this. Wouldn’t think theyd promote Paine over the guy that batted 3 last Test. Not sure what Khawaja did wrong to get to bat 5 in this team. Hazlewood is already VC. Hohns suggesting Pucovski will be in the middle order, get the feeling it’s either Labuschagne misses if Khawaja bats 3 or whichever of Renshaw/Burns doesn’t open.

We will have to wait until Pakistan tours Australia later this year for any T20 internationals.