Cricket

The story apparently is that the ECB decided to announce the player’s contract renewal at the World Cup.

This has caused some friction/disunity with some squad members like David Willey missing out and Joe Root getting 3 year deals and players getting different amounts.

Putting Jos Buttler in the middle order is another baffling move. As a keeper-batsman, i think he should either be opening or at No. 7

2 Likes

In sad news, Rob Moody’s cricket archive footage YT account has been terminated (@ robelinda2), he had a big following, including in India and was often interacted by prominent personalities. I’m guessing ICC, ECB, CA and/or Foxtel launched IP/copyright infringements (TBH surprised it didn’t happen sooner), but 14 years to happen, geez…

:cricket_bat_and_ball: :desktop_computer: :cry:

2 Likes

The copyright strikes have come from a channel called MarhabaCricketIndia based on their “legitimate and exclusive digital rights” in Bangladesh, which seems like complete crap.

3 Likes

There was a suggestion that Marhaba is involved in another dispute over these rights too, which may have spurred on their push to copyright strike robelinda2 out of existance

Sadly, I can’t help but feel this was ultimately inevitable - he’s had run-ins with copyright holders in the past and has been lucky to get some high-powered support (the CA chair intervened at one point in the past) to keep the channel running

The game will ultimately be the loser from this - not that the rights holders will particularly care

4 Likes

Ahh as a cricket fan always love this channel, and really drove my passion for cricket. And got to see so much vintage cricket which has always been fascinated for me, when I was younger.

2 Likes

Can anyone stop the Indians?

Anther big win for the host nation overnight with a massive 243 run win over South Africa (5/326 vs 83 all out).

The birthday boy Virat Kohli posted his 49th ODI century (101 no) to claim Player Of The Match honours, then Ravindra Jadeja picked up 5 wickets as the Proteas crumbled for just 83.

Earlier, it was an exciting last ball victory in the WBBL for the Adelaide Strikers (4/169) over the Perth Scorchers (7/165) with Dani Gibson hitting a boundary off the final delivery to get the girls in blue the win.

1 Like

Ha, was just about to post the same question. And I think we all know the answer to that. India now are as dominant as Australia was 20 years ago, definitely at home.

1 Like

Agree, maybe if Australia bring their A game, maybe a chance, but their foibles against spin in the middle overs is likely to be their undoing.

1 Like

Sri Lanka batter Angelo Mathews has made history for all the wrong reasons for being given out timed out in today’s game against Bangladesh. It’s the first time a batter has been given out timed out in an ODI.

Mathews was unable to get to the crease in time to start his innings because he had to go back to change his helmet as the strap on it broke when coming out to bat.

A batter has 2 minutes to get to the crease to start their innings at the fall of a wicket.

3 Likes

How does this even happen?

What do you mean?

When Mathews tried to get the helmet changed, Bangladesh appealed using that rule, and the umpire gave him out.

1 Like

I didn’t see it. So I’m catching up on what happened. lol.

2 Likes

To further rub salt into the wounds, Bangladesh also won the game by 3 wickets with nearly 9 overs to spare (282/7 in 41.1 overs vs 279 all out in 49.3 overs).

Bangladesh captain Shakib Al Hasan, who appealed for Mathews to be controversially given out, starred with ball then bat (2/57 off 10 overs and 82 off 65 balls) claimed the Player Of The Match Award.

1 Like

Funny that it was because it took longer than 2 minutes but then took what felt like 20 minutes to resolve. Was certainly an interesting part of the game and after just watching the NBL game between Perth and Melbourne go into overtime it was a big night last night!

2 Likes

WA Cricket is planning to temporarily remove four seating bays at Optus Stadium to re-create the hill at WACA Ground, for the Australia-Pakistan test match starting December 14.

2 Likes

Give me a proper seat over The Hill any day… as long it’s undercover!

You don’t want to be charcoaled in the hot Perth summer sun either way.

1 Like

Glenn Maxwell has done it again! More than a week after smashing a ODI century from 40 balls, the Big Show posted his first ever double ton to help Australia to a three-wicket win over Afghanistan at Mumbai with 19 balls to spare. Maxwell’s 201 not out from 128 balls is the highest Australian score in a men’s ODI and he is the first Australian to make a double century in a men’s ODI. Belinda Clark still holds the overall Australian record for the highest individual score in an ODI (229 against Denmark - also in Mumbai - in 1997).

Maxwell’s heroic innings, which included 21 fours and 10 sixes, came after his side struggled to 7/91 in the 19th over and facing a heavy defeat. He also suffered cramps in his legs during batting (after bowling 10 overs in hot conditions and taking 1/55), plus a successful review against a LBW appeal and a dropped catch when he was on 27. Maxwell and captain Pat Cummins scored an unbeaten partnership of 202 for the eighth wicket, with Maxwell contributing 179 and Cummins scoring 12 off the 68 balls he faced, while another 11 runs came through extras.

Earlier, Afghanistan made 5/291 from their 50 overs, with opener Ibrahim Zadran making 129 not out, the first batter to score a century for his country in a World Cup.

Australia’s win puts the team into World Cup semi-finals alongside host India and South Africa, with the final spot to be decided between New Zealand, Pakistan and Afghanistan.

8 Likes

I did not expect to wake up to an Australian win in the cricket after going to bet with 7 wickets down and +150 still to get. Shame the epic Australian innings wasn’t in prime time.

2 Likes

Great innings from “The Big Show”. Maybe he needs to fall off golf buggies more often.

4 Likes

That’s the curse of the eastern Australian time zones whenever there’s an international sporting event. WA is a bit better placed.

We’ll need a few more of these blinders to beat India, though. It was somewhat ‘wasted’ on Afghanistan- as well as they played.

2 Likes