Cricket

And that’s all that matters. Fair dismissal.

5 Likes

Australia would be relieved that they won the second test by 43 runs but it was too close for comfort.

When Stokes hit those short pitched bowling to leg side for fours or sixes, I thought it was Headingley 2019 all over again. The end did come quickly after Stokes was dismissed for 155.

This test however will be remembered for the two controversies in England’s run chase: Bairstow’s run out, and Starc’s catch near the end of day 4 which was deemed not a catch because his left hand hit the ground while holding the ball.

5 Likes

As a former cricket umpire myself I have no issues with the Bairstow stumping dismissal.

Was umpiring a local game around 15 years ago and was standing at square leg. The striker strolled out of his crease, and the keeper threw down the stumps. Had no hesitation in giving the batsmen out stumped.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/wwos/status/1675489170100482049

https://twitter.com/SkyCricket/status/1675482014475079680

2 Likes

i’m so tired heating about “the spirit of the game”.

Bairstow had been getting out of his crease early all innings. now the purists can complain, but what Bairstow did was an under 10’s error. if he didn’t get out, he would keep doing it.

4 Likes

Yeah that was just about the talking point of the day, not good viewing at all that’s for sure, made worse by the Aussies stopping and retaliating at the roped off walkway, officials/security did well I thought, poor form there Poms. Friendly fire in the stands and the odd boo is fine, but that is crossing the line IMO.

2 Likes

Truth hurts eh?. A couple of aussie cheaters. I say keep on shaming their ass.

Probably not the best way to do it and aussie players should have just kept walkkng. Warner and Smith are cheaters. Keep em coming.

Like he can talk: he tried to stump Marnus the same way on Day 3, and England ran de Grandhomme out similarly last year. McCullum has run out multiple players in his career celebrating their teammates’ century/milestone, so he really cannot be talking. And don’t forget Stokes’ tieing of the World Cup in 2019 but hitting a throw to the boundary.

1 Like
3 Likes

The memes are flowing thick and fast too.

Loving this Ashes series, both the mens and the womens games. All coming down to the final day and could go either way. The extra drama I’m not usually a fan of but I think that bubbling away is really creating a whole extra sense of excitement with it all. There was so much in this Test match from both sides that could be seen as cheating by the other team - that dismissal (which England have done before too!), the Starc non-catch, Bodyline 2.0 (especially against an injured Nathan Lyon).

Looking forward to the rest of this series. Often in England I can never really get into the games being the middle of winter here but this one has been fantastic to stay up and watch.

2 Likes

Apparently the “names” of the three members suspended by Marylebone Cricket Club had gone viral (from The Daily Telegraph UK via Twitter):

2 Likes

Gotta love those hyphenated names. Toffs!

2 Likes

I actually love that they named the members. Most places would’ve just said that three members have been suspended.

1 Like

They didn’t. It’s a fake screenshot, with fake names.

3 Likes

Oops :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

This guy made it up :slight_smile:

https://twitter.com/shornkoomins/status/1675584002600628225?s=46

4 Likes

Waldo Featherweight-Houghtonbottom thinks otherwise.

1 Like

Fuck’s sake…

The Sydney Sixers and Melbourne Stars will play at the SCG on the Boxing Day evening, broadcast on both Channel 7 and Foxtel. The rest of the Big Bash fixture is expected to be released later this week.

2 Likes

Will be released on Thursday. WBBL fixture next week.

4 Likes