Cricket

[quote=“stmookeyj027, post:20, topic:1963, full:true”]This year will be a first for me, first time heading to Bellerive for Day 1.[/quote]Have you ever been to Bellerive before?

I’m hoping to attend a couple of days of the Bellerive 2nd Test this year with a few mates. But with the way the Aussies are playing it may not even last the distance. Hopefully they’ll give a good showing but I have my doubts.

Highly doubt that statement as those few games where the Aussies struggled were in the subcontinent (against Sri Lanka), where we haven’t won a test there since 2011.

It looks like all the games this summer will reach the distance with some really flat pitches being prepared, like the previous 2 summers. Hopefully I’m wrong though!

The Aussies should win at home against Pakistan; against South Africa is a 50/50 (maybe 40/60) proposition. Away from home, it’s an entirely different kettle of fish of course. I expect a drubbing in India, and we’d possibly lose to Bangladesh just like England did a couple of days ago.

We’ve lost to the Saffas at home twice in a row (2012, 2008). They were also the last team to beat Australia in a test match in Australia, also in 2012. Should be a good series, hopefully the tracks will not be dead.

First time, only stayed on the other side of the Derwent in my 2 other Hobart visits.

1 Like

[quote=“stmookeyj027, post:25, topic:1963, full:true”]First time, only stayed on the other side of the Derwent in my 2 other Hobart visits.
[/quote]I’d definitely recommend seating in the Western Stand (the new Ricky Ponting stand). I always book that area for both footy and cricket as it’s the best for viewing. If not available the Southern Stand isn’t half bad either.

[quote=“sammy123, post:22, topic:1963, full:true”]Highly doubt that statement as those few games where the Aussies struggled were in the subcontinent (against Sri Lanka), where we haven’t won a test there since 2011.

It looks like all the games this summer will reach the distance with some really flat pitches being prepared, like the previous 2 summers. Hopefully I’m wrong though!
[/quote]I get that they really struggle in the sub and have done for years, but I’m certainly not liking our chances against SA in the upcoming tests. We should have Pakistan covered but who knows. They seem really up and down at the moment. Wait and see I guess. :slightly_smiling_face:

I find Cricket Australia’s scheduling of tests really interesting now…

Always traditionally a day game, but with two day/night tests (South Australia & QLD) now in prime-time, as well as any ODIs or T20 international in prime-time.

WA the only exception, which obviously has a 3 hour time difference to Melbourne/Sydney.

The only ‘major success’ in recent years was last year’s final day of the new day/night test at Adelaide Oval, got great crowds & massive TV ratings.

With the strong growth of Big Bash T20 (which is in prime-time), it’ll be interesting to see CA’s plans over coming years. Which they themselves acknowledged a year ago that test cricket is declining & new things need to be done.

I wonder how much of that comes down to the success of the Australian team. I’m not watching today because I know how far behind we are - it’s silly.

1 Like

Extremely disappointing performance from the Aussies in the past few days, really didn’t expect this even with the whitewashes in recent times. Looks like they will lose the first test of the summer for the first time since 1988.

Disappointing, yes. Unexpected, not really (I did say as much :wink:). Apart from the first day innings where they bowled SA out, they have continued their poor form with the bat and then the ball in the second innings.

And by the sounds of it they will be taking the same team into the 2nd test in Hobart from Saturday. Not looking good for the summer ahead if this trend continues.

The scheduling to me is a little all over the place. For example we follow up the current 3 test series with a trio of 50 over games against NZ (who play Pakistan in tests across the ditch first) with a team selected on 50 over form from 6 weeks ago or even longer. Then when it comes to seeing if there’s someone in form for Boxing Day and the New Year’s test, all there is to go on is 20 over cricket where batting form can’t easily be replicated (being in form in the 20 over game is far different to being in form in the first class arena). Perhaps we need to be playing the 50 over games earlier in the summer as a follow up to the domestic comp, then playing the tests throughout December and January.

On a side note there’s concern that the only team worth moving the Perth test for from the WACA to the Burswood Stadium is England. I’d be more concerned that Australia may follow the trend of other nations (NZ and India being good examples) of finding smaller niche grounds around the country on the East Coast or even relegating some teams to Northern Series in the tropical dry season to fit in test matches. If they are looking to expand to 12 (Afghanistan and Ireland look to be next in line) they may have to look to smaller venues.

I think the CA board needs to meet at Jolimont urgently & vote on a new CEO.

James Sutherland, whilst he’s a good guy & done great things, has been there far too long at the helm.

Isn’t Ch 9’s Mark Taylor on the board? LOL

Probably a bit of an overreaction there. I’d wait until the end of the summer for a judgement on the administrators.

3 Likes

Well chairman or selectors Rod Marsh has decided to resign immediately after previously stating he would step down next year.

Thank god. He was terrible.

Steve Waugh or Ricky Ponting for me.
Although, Ricky Ponting will be coaching the Mumbai Indians and may not be able to (unless he quits).

We could do with them in the actual team at the moment…

3 Likes

Adam Voges was hit in the head and had to be helped off by 2 trainers in the Shield game at the WACA this afternoon.

Needed to be 2 summers ago if you ask me. Not so much Sutherland, whose brief really should be off field matters rather than what goes on out where it matters to the public, but hiring a high performance guy who has no idea of the different requirements of how to be a high achiever in cricket as opposed to Rugby (which has a more diverse range of athletes as any team sport) still baffles anyone.

What makes it even worse in the short-medium term, after this test match comes 3 ODI’s against NZ, coming about 6 weeks after anyone has played any white ball cricket (the only salvation is that NZ are in the same boat, playing tests against Pakistan at the moment despite wet weather and tremors disrupting play in their first test). Then after that almost immediately is a pink ball test against Pakistan, who have had winning experience in that format (if the Windies weren’t so crap and didn’t panic so much they would have easily forced the draw).

1 Like

Australia has made four changes to the test team which was thrashed by South Africa in Hobart. Fast bowler Jackson Bird has been selected ahead of Chadd Sayers. Matt Renshaw, Peter Handscomb and Nic Maddinson will all make their Test debuts against the Proteas. Hopefully this team will perform better in the day/night test starting in Adelaide tomorrow:
Steve Smith (captain), David Warner (vice captain), Matt Renshaw, Usman Khawaja, Peter Handscomb, Nic Maddinson, Matthew Wade, Mitchell Starc, Josh Hazlewood, Jackson Bird, Nathan Lyon, Chadd Sayers (12th man)

Interesting statistic form Cricinfo writer Brydon Coverdale

Steve Waugh
Tests as captain: 57
Players used: 28

Steve Smith
Tests as captain: 17 (as of tomorrow)
Players used: 28 (as of tomorrow)

1 Like