Cricket

Cricket Australia this morning announced a three-year men’s test sponsorship deal with Vodafone. The telco has also signed on as partner of the national women’s team and the WBBL. Vodafone previously sponsored Australian cricket from 2001 to 2012.

thats weird - since TPG and Vodaphone merged, the new company is called TPG Telecom Limited

But TPG is using the Vodafone brand to sponsor cricket as it is more widely known.

I wonder if there will be streaming deal done as well? Or just under foxtel. (Like the telstra app)?

I thought I read that they were going to continue with the Vodafone brand for the time-being - that said TPG Telecom is a collection of brands now (TPG, iiNet, Internode, Vodafone, Westnet, AAPT)

correct. as per here

“VHA entered into a brand licence agreement on 9 June 2009 with Vodafone Ireland Marketing Limited, later transferred to Vodafone Sales & Services Limited, under which VHA has the non-exclusive right to use the Vodafone brand in Australia. VSSL is a wholly-owned indirect Subsidiary of [Vodafone Group],” the booklet said.

“On implementation of the scheme, the existing brand licence agreement will terminate and the Merged Co and VSSL will enter into a new trademark licence agreement under which VHA will continue to have the non-exclusive right to use the Vodafone brand in Australia for a 10-year term.”

With this new deal, the new TPG will be required to pay AU$27.5 million each year, as well as be “subject to various undertakings relating to its use of the Vodafone brand”.

If TPG lost the use of the Vodafone brand, I can’t see them taking on the TPG brand everywhere - it has a reputation of being cheap and poor service.

I would imagine they would set up a new brand or promote iiNet, which has a generally better perception, should they move away from Vodafone.

Besides, sponsoring the Test team is a long tradition for soon to be dead phone brands. Orange, 3, etc.

2 Likes

Sydney will host all their WBBL06 Matches. This WBBL season will commence on the 25 October 2020 (which coincides with the NRL Grand Final).

2 Likes

(Mods: Feel free to move)

If 7 did end their contract and the rights went to:

ABC (option 1)
They could use the ‘clean’ footage from Fox (same feed that Sony get for their Hindi commentary) and overlay Grandstand Cricket commentary. All they would need to do would be set up a news camera, along with a news truck, on the boundary for the Pre-Post-Break reviews/previews/etc. and play that with the call. If they were doing the broadcast remotely it would very easy to use a news set/set up a camera in the boardroom and broadcast that. Very easy and cost effective.

ABC (option 2)
They could broadcast the World Feed (same feed as Fox with Fox’s commentary). Join at 10:25am, just as overseas broadcasters do (eg BT Sport), play news during breaks, etc.

SBS (option 1)
Same as ABC option 1, just on SBS with ads every 3rd over (due to ad restrictions)/wicket/drinks break.

SBS (option 2)
Same as ABC option 2, but they play ads every 3rd over (due to ad restrictions)/wicket/drinks break. They also do live programs during the breaks and pre-post match from the SBS studios.

2 Likes

This is an interesting move by Cricket Australia.

Cricket Australia’s Head of Big Bash Leagues Alastair Dobson said:

Playing blocks of games in different cities across the course of the season is the way (this season) will look.
(That gives us) the ability to create unique festivals in each city rather than the BBL coming in a night at a time.

Not sure if I can post this here, but it’s cricket.

https://www.skysports.com/cricket/news/12123/12063482/graham-onions-lancashire-and-former-england-bowler-retires

Great player for England, sad to see him leave on medical advice.

2 Likes

ABC or SBS simply don’t have the money to buy the rights unless they get extra government help. If Seven were to give up the rights, Nine would do a deal and get them back.

If Nine did it on the cheap, they could do option 2.

1 Like

I know, I was just spitballing.

Watching cricket on Sky Cricket, my god the Aussies are doing bad.
Warner out for a duck, and Smith run out. Not a great start. Can’t say I have a bit of a smile on my face…:grinning:

2 Likes

England have continued its victory in the t20 series with a 6 wicket win over Australia. Chasing 7/157, England got the job done, beating the aussies by 6 wickets with 7 balls to spare. Jos Buttler was player of the match with an unbeaten 77 off 54 balls.

1 Like

Australia were only playing their second match since March, while England had hosted tests against West Indies and Pakistan, and a T20 series against Pakistan.

And a series against Ireland.

Yes that is true, so I should give them at least given the situation world wide. However as an England supporter, I stand on victory. :grinning:

Does anyone know whether Foxsports is showing the IPL this year?

1 Like