Cricket

Not what we want to see from test cricket. I only saw the highlights but the pitch looked to be challenging to say the least, though typically poor application by modern era batters fed on fast food cricket was also a factor.

The Sheffield Shield is a much better prospect for enthralling cricket at the moment… though yesterday’s T20 match was pretty good (I only saw the last two overs, from the Braidwood club).

As an aside, it’s amazing how weekday matches in NZ draw near sellout crowds. I know Dunedin is a university city but still, they must have pretty lenient ‘sickie’ policies over there. I have noticed this even before the COVID-19 era.

3 Likes

Yeah I thought that too… Amazing.

RE the test match in India, my view it exposes technique issues with the batting. I wonder if a 70s team played on that pitch what would of the result been we may never know. The defense of the players was a lot better back then.

1 Like

Yes. Proper test match batting- the kind that Steve Waugh could pull off in his sleep- is a lost art these days. T20 cricket is squarely to blame. It’s true that there are more results because of it, but I think the overall standard of test cricket is poorer.

2 Likes

By the same token, at least we are not seeing scores of 600+ plus on roads where bowlers don’t have much of a chance and matches petering out to the inevitable draw because no side had a hope of getting 20 wickets, that’s pretty boring to watch too.

3 Likes

As you say, Dunedin is full of students - plus it was O-Week (orientation/week before uni starts proper) so guaranteed crowd.

Not that hard to take a day of annual leave or half-day it though…

3 Likes

From the NRL broadcasting rights thread. Seven seems to still be looking to get out of their contract with CA.

1 Like

And possibly all pissed. :stuck_out_tongue: I know I was during O Week.

3 Likes

Absolutely. They used to burn couches in Dunedin on the terraces at the cricke tin the 1990s, think they’ve calmed down a bit since then though

1 Like

Which means game 4 of the T20 series against Australia, scheduled for Auckland next Friday (March 5), is now under a cloud.
For the seven days from tomorrow (February 28), Auckland will be in level 3 while the rest of NZ will be in level 2 under the country’s COVID alert system. Sporting events can’t take place under level 3, while fans won’t be allowed into sporting events under level 2.

2 Likes

I imagine they will just play with no crowd?

1 Like

Indeed.

It also means Wellington will host game 3 and game 4 of the Twenty20 series.

UPDATE 1/3: the fifth and final game will also be played in Wellington.

UPDATE 2/3: the fifth and final game at Wellington will start early so the Aussies can take a chartered flight home after the match.

2 Likes

Australia bounced back to form tonight, beating New Zealand by 64 runs in Wellington to keep the T20 series alive. Ashton Agar was named player of the match for taking 6/30, the best figures by an Australian in men’s T20 internationals, including three wickets in the 13th over. Aaron Finch and Glenn Maxwell both scored 50s. One of Maxwell’s sixes was so big that the ball smashed an empty seat in the stadium.

After the match Maxwell signed the broken seat which would be auctioned on TradeMe, with proceeds going to Wellington Homeless Women’s Trust.

New Zealand lost wickets at regular intervals and were rarely in the contest. Riley Meredith, who made his T20I debut for Australia, chipped in with two wickets.

4 Likes

Really good of Maxwell to do that. Great idea!

2 Likes

A hat trick in 1 over, and 36 runs (6 sixes) off the next…

That’s going from one extreme to another!

2 Likes

Kieron Pollard is the eighth player in history to score 6 sixes in one over in domestic or international cricket. The following article shows the first seven.

3 Likes

West Indies smashed Sri Lanka by 4 wickets with 6.5 overs to spare. Sri Lankan player, Akila Dananjaya took a hat trick dismissing Lewis, Gayle and Pooran. Believe it or not, Kieron POllard hit six sixes in one over off the bowling of Akila Dananjaya. Akila Dananjaya conceded 62 runs off 4 overs. Kieran Pollard became the 2nd batsman to hit six sixes in one over in T20s.

1 Like

Australia have levelled the 5-match Twenty20 series against New Zealand with another big win in Wellington, this time by 50 runs. Again batting first, the Aussies could only manage 6/156 from their 20 overs, with captain Aaron Finch contributing to half of his team’s score with 79. Like game 3 on Wednesday, NZ’s run chase never got out of second gear, losing wickets at regular intervals, with bowler Kyle Jamieson their top scorer with 30.

2 Likes

On the other hand, England are in their 2nd innings and are trailing 6/74 on Day 3. I felt that England have thrown away their chances and lost wickets.
It will more likely be India v NZ in the WTC Final at Lords, London in mid 2021.

2 Likes

UPDATE: India have booked themselves in the ICC World Test Championship Final after beating England by an innings and 25 runs in Ahmedabad. In fact, India have won the series over England 3-1. Rishabh Pant was Man of the Match for his 101 off 118, while Ravi Ashwin for his 32 wickets in the Series.
England started off well, winning the first test, however during the second test, the wheels fell off for the English team. England simply couldn’t capitalise on their success in India and simply threw away their chances during the 3rd test.
India will face New Zealand in the World Test Championship Final in Lords, London. Who will win the Final?

• India
  • New Zealand
3 Likes

Where India have transformed their game in the last 6 months is their lower order batting.

Pant and Ashwin have improved and are more consistent, and Sundar has been a real find for them.

You used to be be pretty confident that India would lose their last 4 wickets for not many, but you couldn’t say that now.

2 Likes