Cricket TV Rights 2024/25-2030/31 (Seven/Foxtel)

Nine has the tennis sewn up and don’t want to relegate the Big Bash to a secondary channel

I would more say it is because they are bidding for tests only. Seven are also only bidding for tests but they have Foxtel and Nine doesn’t.

2 Likes

I still don’t see how an organization can hand the rights to a company that is suing it. Makes no sense that CA would even talk to them about anything

3 Likes

I have a suspicion that 7 are suing CA as a ruse to retain the Test rights cheaply, there was speculation that 7 had demanded that CA extend their current Test deal at a discounted rate as recourse for the decline in quality standards in the BBL during the current contract. Doubt CA will take it seriously unless Fox are prepared to significantly overpay for the rights again.

Points from the article:

• CA could be forced to do a deal with 10 due to Paramount most likely making a very high bid
  • CA hasn’t ruled anything in or out
  • Paramount can outbid 7, 9 and Foxtel
  • Audience reach, promotion and digital growth will also make up the decision
  • A former television executive experienced in sport told Yahoo Sports that CA won’t take too much notice of ratings flops

If Seven are demanding stuff from CA, I would just tell them to fuck off and go with someone else if I was Cricket. If Foxtel also loses rights then they can blame Seven.

I would make a rule that Seven would not be allowed to bid for rights. Foxtel can still but they would have to go with someone else.

4 Likes

that article is wrong in saying 10 doesn’t have a proper streaming service. I’d call P+ a proper streaming service despite what some people think. I don’t get the constant putting down of 10. I think they should be give a chance. there are valid reasons why the Melbourne Cup and the soccer haven’t worked an neither is completely to do with the fact they are on 10

5 Likes

It’s because they’re a network who serve up rubbish, overseas management have no idea how to run the station locally, and they’re seemingly fine with being the 3rd or 4th most watched FTA network. The public and media will hold Ten in a higher regard when they attempt to make proper inroads into Seven and Nine’s dominance.

1 Like

It also seems a bit of a copy from the one published in NewsCorp the other day.

If CA is worried about ratings; then they could go to nine with Test and everything else on Ten, (including ODI, t20 etc).

Therefore it gives ten a chance to build a brand around cricket and CA the knowledge that Nine has a cricket background it can use to promote the game again via its prior long term relationship.

However this is CA, who thought it was sensible to send the Adelaide Strikers WBBL on a 6am flight to Sydney the day before the GF. This was after their Night semi final on the Thursday night, which finished at 10pm Adelaide time.

So with this kind of management, they most likely go with Fox and not bother with a FTA and have KAYO do its freebies!

3 Likes

It cannot happen due to anti-sophning rules luckily.

Well it can, cause ODI and t/20 internationals are on that list, and where are those games.

Never say never. The is CA after all!

2 Likes

Left field thought, if CA insist to Foxtel they won’t deal with Seven- with Nine/Stan and 10/P+ being rival bids to Foxtel, does Foxtel try and scoop the lot and then try and on-sell the bare minimum (i.e. Tests only) to someone like the ABC or SBS?

I reckon we might see some form of Cricket on all 3 Commercial Networks. Here’s my prediction.

• Seven retains Test Cricket
  • Nine retains what they currently have
  • 10 gains Men’s & Women’s Big Bash
2 Likes

Indeed, it doesn’t prevent Foxtel taking up the rights if a FTA broadcaster doesn’t want them - but they can’t officially do that until ~6 months before each match, when they automatically fall off the list.

But it could be circumvented on the long term, by Seven buying all the rights but then sub-licensing the men’s ODIs and T20Is to Foxtel. Holding the rights doesn’t mean Seven has to show it themselves, for anti-siphoning purposes.

There are ways around it, and the combined free/pay deals seem the easiest way to do that these days.

3 Likes

Which is nothing?

I think this refers to the ICC international tournament rights and Ashes in England rights- these aren’t linked to the Cricket Australia rights deal in any way however (the ICC arranges rights for their tournaments as does the ECB for the Ashes games in England).

I don’t think there is anything new in that recent article. There’s very little substance in any of these, and they all have the stink of being written by news corp. I wouldn’t base any predictions on the content including that Paramount is all cashed up and ready to outbid 7 and 9.

2 Likes

A very strong statement I would like to disagree with. They are the only network who try new programs. E.g. Hunted, The Traitors etc. IMO it’s 7 and 9 who serve up the rubbish and apparently audiences like their rubbish.

The BBL was good when it was on 10 and hopefully it will be again. 7 coverage is woeful!

1 Like

They don’t have to take the highest bid if they don’t want to

1 Like

Interesting:

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/subscribe/business/media/seven-casts-a-wide-sports-net/news-story/f32a630e40bd6b9128310adacf8bdd2c

Points from the article:

• Seven is negotiating with several sporting companies about the logics of moving their seasons to January from 2025 because they may not have any major summer sport
  • James Warburton said Seven is still interested in test cricket, but are looking for other options
  • The network is still keen on test cricket but not BBL, although there is other sports available.
  • Seven have four possible scenarios modelled out
  • Even if Seven retained the rights, it didn’t provide a traditional “springboard” into ratings season
  • Racing and Basketball could be two options that could be moved to January
  • Any option with Seven and a sport would include a non-negotiable digital component

Yes, but lets say there is a scenario where Seven/Fox bid $250m p/y and Paramount bid $325m p/y. If you go with Paramount in that scenario that is an extra $75m p/y, so it would be a no brainer to go with them.

2 Likes

I suspect ‘forced’ is being used in the ‘10 are likely making an offer CA can’t refuse’ sense.

1 Like