Cricket TV Rights 2024/25-2030/31 (Seven/Foxtel)

Not necessarily.

Put it this way, if you’re a top AFL/NRL player at a top club but get offered more money to go play for a club down the other end of the ladder, you don’t always take it. The pay might be better, but the chances of winning a premiership wouldn’t be as good. Same applies in this scenario to an extent. Obviously there’s a point where everyone has a price though.

2 Likes

Are there any recent examples of a sporting body not taking the most money per year on offer in Australia?

I’m trying to recall the old 7/ Tennis Australia deals but I don’t even know if the other networks were offered them. And yeah 10 had a bigger offer for the AFL but it was over a much longer period of time.

There are other things to factor in, P+'s technical capabilities seem an obvious one with the A-League nonsense, but it always seems like the $$$ wins out in the end no matter the particular detriments of a deal.

1 Like

Rugby Australia took less money from 9 over the higher Fox bid.

2 Likes

And the impetus for that was that, of course, was that Rugby Australia was tempted by the offer of having rugby on FTA again, a couple of decades after Seven gave up on it (apart from the brokered coverage of Sydney club rugby on 7two in recent years) - even if most of the rest got hived off to Stan.

Although given the bleating RA have had then and since about the split of Super Rugby revenue with New Zealand (the latter probably already think RA deserve less than they get now, given how awful most of the Aussie Super teams are atm), the tension between those two competing things would’ve been interesting. Also whether one game being on Saturday night, and not always being between two AUS teams, would outweigh the lesser number of eyeballs Stan Sport would have compared to Fox.

Back to cricket, I guess my sort of feeling is that Paramount aren’t stupid, yet the locals and particularly the Murdoch group would likely be jawboning “get off Rupert’s lawn, there’s only room for one big media conglomerate here” (and that’s before WB Discovery decides what to do with their other money-spinner, the HBO contract). Paramount reportedly putting in a 10-year deal for the AFL and ended up making Seven/Fox/Telstra pay overs shows there’s some hunger there, especially coming from a company whose TV linchpin in the US right now is having roughly half the NFL rights. Of course, hunger and execution are two different things, and we don’t quite know what they’d do with cricket yet.

4 Likes

NBL is from Oct - Feb so that would be a good option for 7 if they don’t get cricket, not as big obviously

4 Likes

Yeah, they were eventually only going to allow… I think, 1/3 of each team to be sold to private owners, and I could see how that was difficult to sell. And when much of the T20 money to the cricket boards come from franchise licence fees, one could argue that it’s a lost opportunity. But alas.

2 Likes

also, whilst not as big (so probally could be cheap sat arvo filler) is the ABL

3 Likes

Don’t think that would work. Maybe on 7flix but not the main channel.

That could work.

definitely… was not expecting a 3 hour ballgame on 7 but on a multichannel it could work

I doubt it will happen at all. It is less valuable than the A-League and would likely get less than 50k metro, and could be suicide for 7NEWS as it will have a crappy lead-in especially if Cricket is on 10 etc.

3 Likes

What exactly do you mean? The only problems I’ve ever had with Paramount+ was with my Apple TV a few weeks ago and that apparently was a fault caused by Apple. I’ve watched A-League every week it has been on, does everyone who makes all these claims watch it? or is it just the biased attitude to Paramount/10? My biggest gripe with Paramount+ is that the app is not on my LG tv and I have to go Apple tv or Fetch.

It’s been covered on here pretty extensively in the AFL rights thread, so won’t go over it all again in great detail but a lack of basic features such as live pause and rewind, late to put up replays and frequent enough problems with streams not working correctly.

Haven’t experienced them all myself but a quick google also shows the problems and would be a concern to other codes imo.

1 Like

The worrying thing for Paramount is that several times now they’ve lobbed in a strong bid and the sport has elected to see whether others will match or improve the bid rather than awarding to Paramount/Ten.

This just comes across as entitled - wonder if anyone will actually do it.

3 Likes

You’d have to think it would be motorsport related for something summer filler, the Supercars with night time/weekend sprint races - the Bathurst 1000 on Australia Day or something as a ratings season springboard?

It’s about the most mainstream thing that’s in Seven’s realm that you might see being willing to totally bend to what a broadcaster might want.

If Ten are serious about cricket, they should be starting now on filling Paramount+ up with overseas tours. It’s a real strength with Stan/Nine and their Tennis/Rugby deals - that they have a lot of year round content, not just the Australian season, so they can keep a sub around for more than just a few months.

I’m a cricket fan, but some BBL/T20I matches here and there doesn’t get me subbed to Kayo over summer.

4 Likes

Night races at most for the Supercars - prohibitively hot at track level even at the current start/end of the year (at places like Adelaide in particular). And places like Darwin and Townsville (where the sun goes down early enough for relief) are in monsoon season.

Bathurst… the 1000 is too traditional to move from October, but there’s the 12-hour endurance race (involving mainly Euro-style GT cars) in early Feb, that Supercars have taken the promotion over. That usually only gets the last couple of hours live and the rest gets shunted to 7plus or elsewhere (I think Fox 506 also took it ad-free), but it easily could be 7mate filler for a day.

Could they do filler like the e-sports racing challenges that Supercars did up during Covid (that ended up on Kayo)? Dunno how it’d appeal to a wider audience, but at least with sim rigs the way they can be now, it may be a cheap option. Even have a “serious sim racing fans vs real drivers” option, that never gets dull I guess. I dunno, clutching at straws here. :person_shrugging:

If I am correct they will have the IPL from 2023-, but yes they should get some more off Foxtel.

1 Like

7 promo showed that H&A is coming back early next year (Jan 9th) and so that means 7 will likely be starting BBL matches from on 7mate before switching to 7 most of Jan.

Could this be their way of ‘protesting’ their displeasure with the BBL, and surely this won’t help them get the rights for 2025+

At the same time their promo for the WI is really good.

Clearly showing they like the Tests but not the BBL

3 Likes

They don’t have the Australian rights to the IPL, just in India I believe.

Viacom has been getting cricket rights in India

3 Likes

Paramount on the subcontinent has been aggressive trying to get as much cricket as possible

3 Likes