Cricket TV Rights 2024/25-2030/31 (Seven/Foxtel)

Surely everything’s lining up for a successful 10 bid here.

7 suing CA. Don’t want BBL.

Fox only have 7 as a potential partner with 9 and 10 wanting everything.

9 reportedly about to sign a new deal with the other big summer sport. Yes they say they could have both, but the only other time it’s happened, 7 were happy to flog one off.

10 reportedly the most keen and cashed up.

2 Likes

That was a different scenario though. Seven had lost the rights the next summer so there was no incentive to keep showing it. Plus Nine came and offered to take the extra year.

I believe they get strong ratings for overseas matches involving Australia. So I am sure they will keep it

You would have to assume Nine’s bid would be the lowest or not as genuine, considering the tennis. Them wanting BBL, as well as 10 is very interesting indeed, maybe they think CA are too invested in seeing its resurgence (if that’s possible) and not having that as part of a bid would see them knocked back immediately, whereas Seven no surprises are more bullish. But with everything that went down with 10 last time, still awkward and hard to see how/ why it might eventuate.

Foxtel definitely in the best position and also to dictate all the FTA terms (as bacco alludes and Stan and Paramount+ makes that very difficult - those two platforms are probably the make or break for a Nine or 10 bid anyway), which could see some walk away/ give up. Perhaps putting Seven in the box seat, even if not ideal and fractious.

If Nine get both tennis and cricket, boy oh boy.

But the rights will go through to 2030 so there will be another ashes home test in there surely. There was an article about this earlier this year. I could be wrong but they were trying to beef it up to get more money.

Live Pause shouldn’t even be a feature it should be expected. Season 2 and they can’t even deliver on that. As much as the 10 fanboys here will think it’s coming home, CA would be wary of partnering with a technology platform that doesn’t seem to have any technological inclination.

3 Likes

If the debacle that was 10’s bid for the AFL rights is anything to go by, it shows that they can’t be taken seriously for the cricket rights.

2 Likes

What are they offering for free to air. The scraps. No control of the online and streaming. They’d be mad to go with these idiots.

There’s also new management at CA. The people who did the deal last time are gone.

1 Like

They had them before, so why change now?

I reckon it’ll be Stan having rights to full matches and live games and Nine having a selection of BBL and Test.

1 Like

You could say that was with CBS, while they would now be negotiating with Viacom.

Sorry I wasn’t aware. :smile: Yes that would increase it, and is a safe assumption.

1 Like

I feel like Seven is the least likely and 10 the most likely to get rights.

• Seven is suing CA. I doubt they would want to partner with them again, especially if they have to do another deal just for the BBL.

• Nine are more likely, but are spending $525 million on Tennis, so will most likely come up short.

• 10 are owned by a major company worth billions of dollars. They are also keen for Aussie sport, as seen with the $6 billion AFL bid. Also they do cricket in other companies, so that ads a factor.

1 Like

If there is, it’s likely to be at the end of the deal based on the timing in the FTP. I recall CA pushing for a second series in the next rights timeline (knowing the published section of the FTP was pretty lackluster for television) to try and boost ratings.

The reality is that you’re asking broadcasters to bid half based on a set program and half based on nothing really more than a promise and hope (especially now that CA’s power to influence the FTP has been curtailed somewhat)

Are you assuming Foxtel go or somehow agree to let Stan enter the foray and they team up with Nine?

Oh I 100% agree, but it wasn’t “promised”.

What do you mean by “debacle”.

Let’s hope they don’t go down the path of their predecessors.

The days of split broadcasts are long gone my friend. All the match or nothing.

Do they have the Australian rights at all overseas?

1 Like

10 bid significantly less that Seven and Nine, meaning they were never going to be a chance, and there were also reports that they never even made a bid.

Didn’t they bid $6 billion?

2 Likes

No Foxtel. At all.

Nine and 10 don’t need them. They have Stan and Paramount+.

I don’t think Seven will get them and Foxtel can’t afford them on their own so I’m predicting Nine and Stan.

3 Likes

They actually bid more than 9. They bid $6b over 10 years. They just missed out it seems. The AFL just kept going back to 7/fox to get more money. It was more of a debacle from the AFLs end with their bias towards the incumbents.

1 Like

Nine will push very hard for these rights.

2 Likes