Cricket TV Rights 2024/25-2030/31 (Seven/Foxtel)

And ratings on fox are good?

This is the issue with argument from Fox/Murdoch, those ratings for fox are rubbish! 198k for nation wide. Rubbish.

If CA had half a brain they wouldn’t even take this into account.

6 Likes

What’s a “good” rating for Foxtel then? (Remembering that Foxtel’s ratings exclude Kayo)

2 Likes

How will the digital rights be decided if Foxtel and 10 share the rights? I am sure 10 won’t agree to Kayo retaining the exclusive live streaming and digital replay rights.

4 Likes

Considering Foxtel has given up those exclusive streaming rights for NRL and will be for the AFL in the next deal, I’m sure they’d be more likely to do it for cricket than they were in the past, no matter the partner.

1 Like

That’s my point, fox only has 4m subs, so as a organisation you are automatically limiting your audience.

Ten has potential for “all” Australians over 18 to watch their content for free.

We know, when sport is on, people will follow it to a network.

So the argument of everyday ratings, no one will watch it, is mute when that just isn’t the case with sport. People will follow sport to any channel.

Cricket was out rated by Supercars in Adelaide yesterday on Seven/7mate.

But the idea that fox has greater pulling power than ten; oh please it just doesn’t and they are trying to protect their own “ego” and self importance.

My biggest issue with fox exclusively or any paid provider is the next generation of fans.

Yes, providing sport advert free is amazing, providing a coverage like F1, Supercars, Cricket with dedicated stations etc is amazing.

However these stations, on Stan, Fox or whoever, only cater for the “real fan”.

The reason my love for cricket happened wasn’t because I found a magazine behind the sofa on cricket, it was because I was able to as a kid in the 80’s, on a hot day flick on Nine and boom cricket was in my face. At night at the dinner table, ODI cricket was on. As kids you talked about it, you watched it and boom you’re hooked for life! Thanks KP lol.

Today yes there is more choice, more channels, but FTA still has a purpose, sports should be using it to bring in the casual viewer, as they flick between stations, during adverts, find cricket, watch cricket.

Does a pay per view provide that for casual viewer? No, if you’re not aware it’s on, you’re not heading to stan sport, or Kayo, you are flicking FTA or Netflix for a repeat of Big Bang instead.

I have said before, if ODI cricket was on FTA it would still rate higher than test. Seven sold the idea that Test is what Aussie want to watch, why did they do that? Cause that’s the cricket product they got in the rights, they sold the product they had, talked down the other format.

If seven had ODI and not test the conversation would have been reversed, with the old line, who wants to sit through 5 days of cricket. Remember these stations are selling themselves and justifying the reasons, not to you or I, but to its high end shareholders/owners.

11 Likes

Putting aside who people on here want to get the rights, which FTA network/s do you realistically think will be involved in the next broadcast deal?

• Seven
  • Nine
  • Ten

0 voters

1 Like

I chose Ten.

Ten has a lot of money and can easily outbid the others, even if the digital rights etc. is not the best, they could make a high enough bid that CA could be “forced” to go with them.

2 Likes

This is something that many sports have decided to give lower priority to over chasing the greater return by allowing more paywalled content. Balancing growing the game by getting people watching and growing the game by returning more money to improve the game at lower levels is something that many sports have done poorly in the past.

It will continue to be an issue in the future whether Foxtel is involved or not - I’m not convinced that an FTA-linked subscription service having the rights is going to change things dramatically either. We’ve seen this with the A-League where the FTA component has been downgraded for poor ratings (and wouldn’t be surprising if it’s downgraded again before the current deal is done). There’s also no guarantee that these linkages will remain either - Paramount will flog off Ten as soon as it can get a reasonable price and Nine have already talked about future options with Stan.

I disagree - the heyday of the ODI has long gone and it’s clear from the way the game is going internationally that it’s a format that will disappear soon. It’s easy to blame the TV deal for this one, but the writing has been on the wall for some time now, the game hasn’t done itself any favours either by incrementally dragging out the time needed to complete an ODI to the point that people lose interest.

6 Likes

Currently they’re only really played for ranking points to gain entry to the World Cup. If the ICC can find a way to still hold an ODI World Cup every four years (my theory being they won’t want to give up the dollars) on a different entry system other than rankings etc national boards will move away from staging ODI games and to be fair many are already.

Have a look at the 2022 list of ODIs played and it’s filled with minnows.

Sad, because ODIs are so far in front of T20s in a preferred format for me.

5 Likes

I don’t think ODI cricket is past it’s time in the sun, the heyday of continual sell outs most likely, but stand 3/4 full for ODI cricket plus viewers on TV still happens.

Which brings me on todays age report about prices, this is the issue of smaller crowds too. Which has not helped ODI cricket, $115 for tickets, c’mon.

This article also takes a shot at Fox/Kayo! “ Since 2018, those same spectators have also had to shell out the additional cost of Foxtel or Kayo if they wished to watch all games, with ODIs and T20 Internationals behind the paywall.”

Interesting times.

And via Murdoch’s codesport site; the article states that WBBL could have its own rights deal with a network.

BBL to stay with current level of games.

https://www.codesports.com.au/cricket/big-bash-league-cricket-australia-could-retain-contentious-61game-homeandaway-bbl-schedule-in-next-broadcast-deal/news-story/d12e7123b0526894c4af66121e2ba304

1 Like

Points from the article (BBL):

• Cricket Australia is pushing for the BBL to remain at the same length in the new deal
  • The governing body insists broadcasters still want a full home-and-away season
  • CA says due to streaming there is more interest this time than the last deal
  • A deal could be made way before 2024
  • CA executive general manager broadcasting and commercial Stephanie Beltrame said that the 61-game figure is not welded in, but is the starting point in broadcasters
  • CA has mapped out the next 7 years
  • The WBBL has been offered as a separate package to the BBL for the first time
  • The decision is to commodify the value
  • Tests will almost certainly be on FTA, but everything else is up in the air

I will not post the points from the other article because it is not based on the broadcast rights.

5 Likes

i used to go to 2 or 3 ODI’s a year, but the value is not there. by the time you pay admission, food and a few beers, it could be a $250 day out. Why pay $250 when i can sit at home, watch on Foxtel 4K, a six pack from dan murphys for $15 and a pie from coles for $3?

The price gouging at stadiums is turning people off. I have a good job and make great money, but when essentials like power and food are shooting up, things need to give

2 Likes

Will the federal government get involved like they did with the recent AFL rights and insist on White ball internationals back on FTA?

This will have to impact on the value of the rights.

Cricket Australia needs to find a way of playing ODIs in massive empty stadiums, if the format isn’t going to fill a large stadium, give it to a crowd that doesn’t get regular Tests/international BBL

Geelong
Gold Coast
Launceston
Canberra
I’d add Cairns & Darwin, but the weather isn’t conducive in summer.

Leave the bigger drawing games to stadiums that will get the bums on seats.
From a tv perspective, a half full regional stadium looks better than a cavernously empty MCG.

8 Likes

It’s not also about the crowds it’s about TV audience. The format is not popular, outside World Cups.

1 Like

“I just think the structure of the cricket deal right now is fucked,” said Willee. “The best components, international one day and international T20 should not be behind the paywall.”
“That’s the stuff that drives families, the excitement and new people to the game.”

Spinach general manager, Ben Willee

In this

7 Likes

Whacking a big ol [citation needed] on this from Ben.

2 Likes

Who from where?

1 Like

The guy who profited from the lettuce shortage.

4 Likes

Google search shows Spinach is an advertising agency, based in South Melbourne and part of WPP AUNZ Group. Its clients include Federal Department of Health, Liquorland and Drummond Golf.

3 Likes