Cricket TV Rights 2024/25-2030/31 (Seven/Foxtel)

It should be noted they are part-owners only of that network. Unlike they are with 10 etc., where they own the whole thing. Meaning? Someone else is involved.

1 Like

It has been said by Seven themselves that Seven will not be broadcasting BBL anymore and not bidding for it from 2024-. The previous article said that “The network is still keen on test cricket but not BBL” so if 10 don’t get it, it is likely BBL will be put behind a paywall.

4 Likes

But only the digital rights. The TV rights within India ended up staying with Star Sports (so Disney), and I don’t know whether the BCCI goes out to tender separately, or whether Disney sub-leases it to the traditional operators.

Same with the digital rights, but Paramount/TV18 getting the rights means that putting it on, say, the HotStar component of Disney+ isn’t an option anymore (Star used to own the digital rights, but in Australia they sublicensed that in 2021/22 to subcontinental streamer Yupp TV).

Scant information on 2023 though; there are those that claim it won’t change but I have a strong suspicion it’s just a copy/paste from 2021/22. I sorta don’t expect Fox to lose it on regular TV given their already strong ties with the BCCI and with their former stable-partner in Star, especially if it’s just a low-cost addition to the Indian home tests deals. But Paramount holding the different streaming rights make it a less certain proposition.

1 Like

Industry sources have told The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald that each of Ten/Paramount, Nine (owner of this masthead) and Foxtel had made bids for all the content being offered by Cricket Australia, including Tests, international white-ball games and a Big Bash League still modelled on a 61-game season. Seven has bid to retain its coverage of Test cricket.

After two rounds of formal bidding, which placed Ten/Paramount at or near the front of the queue on a dollar basis, other broadcasters have pointed out that Seven and Nine are by a distance the most-watched free-to-air networks in Australia, noting how the likes of the A-League and horse racing have struggled for audience share on Ten.

9 Likes

Ten are front runners but 7/Fox will try hard to retain a premium sports product. Fingers crossed 10 gets the rights

6 Likes

Points from the article:

• If CA leaves Fox/7, then it will be able to move games around behind a paywall/on FTA if needed
  • The emergence of Ten/Paramount has much to do with flexibility as well as money
  • Paramount, Nine and Foxtel have made bids for all cricket, but Seven has only bid for tests
  • Ten/Paramount are at the front of the queue in terms of money
  • Signing up with a partner that has FTA/Streaming would allow CA to manoeuvre matches and series towards the type of audience that best fits the circumstances
  • It could put the mens white ball team on FTA again if Nine/Stan or Ten/Paramount+ get rights
  • Nick Hockley, CEO of Cricket Australia talked up the range of “options and permutations” available to the governing body after the two bids as well as individual discussions with all possible partners
4 Likes

I would like to see Paramount+/10 get the cricket rights but I don’t think they will. Maybe BBL but nothing else. CA will probably stick with Foxtel/7. The argument against 10’s low ratings is null and void IMO. If people want to watch something sport or otherwise doesn’t matter which channel it’s on. The best example for this is the World Cup on SBS.

7 Likes

The issue is that 10’s poor ratings mean they can’t promote/hype the game to casual fans because not many people watch the network and they have no radio stations or newspapers to cross promote with. There’ll always be Cricket fans who closely follow the sport but the ratings will always be limited if you’re not able to expand your audience beyond those fans.

1 Like

personally as a cricket tragic (one highlight of my trip to London was touring Lords and getting a photo with the actual ashes urn) I hope it stays on Fox.

4K cricket on fox is magnificent and as the commentary team on fox know the audience is more of the cricket fan, the talk is more technical, and they can do the lighter commentary on 7.

i realise this deal would shut out some people from seeing the cricket thats fox exclusive, but its no different to missing out on, for example, Ted Lasso because its an apple TV exclusive

2 Likes

Have you watched either before?

4 Likes

A TV show is no comparison to the national sport!

2 Likes

I said 10/P+ for the AFL too but I knew how it panned out

2 Likes

Not really sure about this ‘analysis’:

How they’d be the one company, given 9/Stan could easily do likewise? (And to an extent, Foxtel with Kayo, although they would probably need a more realistic FTA partner).

4 Likes

You’ve got to be kidding. Every time I watch the Fox/Kayo stuff it’s the boys club and fluff and Kerry O’Keeffe laughing at something not really funny. Seven (much to my surprise) has been much better at the technical stuff, Ricky Ponting and Tim Lane especially but a lot of the demos and things like that, it’s streaks ahead in terms of actual cricket commentary.

7 Likes

Anything (apart from ideology) stopping Foxtel putting up most of the money and teaming up with ABC (or SBS) for the mandatory FTA component? ABC could show the anti-siphoned components and Foxtel all the BBL.

2 Likes

Fox have gone down a lot in the last couple of years from a promising start. Seven have been okay, but there’s a lot of deadwood on that team. As has been raised/mentioned several times here, with the tests spread across several rights holders (TV/radio) there just isn’t the depth in insightful analysis.

8 Likes

That’s easily solved. 10 could enter into a partnership with either SEN or SCA (both of which are current commercial radio rights holders) for cross promotions, even sharing commentators between them.

Nine may have its own radio stations or papers but has neither in South Australia, ACT, Tasmania and NT.

1 Like

I agree- Test cricket in particular is still a major event and something that people will actively try and seek out. The ratings will come from that in turn like we have seen for SBS with the World Cup.

The A League by comparison unfortunately just doesn’t have that same drawing power, while the Melbourne Cup has the dual issues of a declining audience (with the animal welfare concerns) as well as fragmentation with Sky Racing and Racing.com also taking the race live (not to mention Seven counterprogramming this year with NSW racing).

8 Likes

Have wondered myself if the ABC is a viable partner for Fox, just don’t see the advantage for Fox going with them over Seven unless the Seven/ CA relationship is irreconcilable.

What do you do with the main cricket sponsorship? And cross promotion? The ABC can’t do this.