Cricket television rights 2018 (Foxtel/Seven)

Well yes, that’s kinda what you should do when running a business.

11 Likes

Exactly. The affiliates already pay over the odds in most cases. Nothing but double dipping. Expect that bullshit from Nine but Ten? How stupid.

1 Like

He paid extra for Cricket under Nine.

In the end yes, but it was still stupid.

We’ve been charging our fans to watch live cricket for five years now. During the Nine digital joint venture, you had to pay $30 for the whole season. Our fans have had to pay anyway. The price point may be different

You got the whole season on FTA TV without paying the $30, fans didn’t have to pay a cent.

There’s no way Foxtel will be streaming the season for anything like $30 - it’ll be $70 or more, if it is even a standalone offering.

1 Like

“Explaining the deal, Finn Bradshaw, Cricket Australia’s head of digital, said: “It will be content that is promoted by YouTube; that is targeted by YouTube. We’re proud of our audience, but we know there’s an audience we’re never going to get on our own platform, and YouTube is obviously really powerful way of reaching younger people.”

So cricket australia is expanding their reach, cmon, you are expanding the reach via YouTube not Foxtel! If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it’s a duck of a deal! :man_facepalming:

When asked by The Guardian if the current cricket rights deal with Seven and Foxtel that removes one day and Twenty20 matches from free-to-air television is in breach of the anti-siphoning laws, ACMA gave a nothing response.

3 Likes

What are they worried that they will find collusion between Cricket Australia and Foxtel. Not giving viewers access via free to air TV is un-Australian and if the current Federal Government does not intervene and the ACMA is refusing to investigate, it demonstrates corruption in my view. Its funny how Sutherland exited shortly after the new deal was done AND now with the shock exits, it would be in the public interest to investigate this matter.

4 Likes

So if Labor win the next Fed election than they can at least investigate or have the communication minster over turn it.

Basically proving how useless the Anti-siphoning laws actually are. It’s mind blowing how Murdoch tries to get his way around the law. His company is terrible.

5 Likes

I can see a whole advertising campaign around this…

“Want cricket on FTA? Vote Labor”

4 Likes

Welcome to the age of professional sport, where money is more important than getting kids interested in playing. Give it 20 years and they’ll start wondering why the talent pool of players starts to dry up.

More short term gain vs long term sustainability.

10 Likes

Unless there is some sort of intervention, I think that given time, possibly as early as the expiry of the current sports deals for AFL, NRL,Cricket and Tennis we might see none of these sports on FTA channels. Murdoch will be having his lawyers analysing the legislation, looking for a loophole to allow a complete FTA blackout in an effort to try and force people who want to watch to buy a Foxtel Sports Pack. Although I have Foxtel, I absolutely refuse to pay for sport.

Note to anyone from FTA channels reading - its time to look for the NEXT BIG THING, as given the current climate and authorities like ACMA sitting on their hands, I strongly believe that sport will disappear from FTA altogether.

Perhaps ACMA should be renamed ACME and use a digitally enhanced Wile E. Coyote as its mascot/logo - it won’t investigate as it doesn’t want to blow itself up by investigating the mates of members of the Australian Liberal party

(Digitally altered Image. Original source: https://www.google.com/search?q=wile+e+coyote+acme+anvil&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBAU737AU737&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=gcoF-zg8QRX8GM%253A%252CUtAWYJ8QoeV7RM%252C_&usg=AI4_-kRDctQJm1l4mBVg-4wQ5v9hZ4n7xQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjTsLmys8veAhUeJTQIHZZtA-sQ9QEwBXoECAEQDg#imgrc=gcoF-zg8QRX8GM:)

3 Likes

Not to mention there are plenty more options for the entertainment dollar. That is, if you have an entertainment dollar to spend.

1 Like

Whats interesting in NZ, England and the US most big sports are on paytv? Not saying thats good. Australia is one of the nations which has more big sports on FTA esp AFL. Hope it does not change too much. Although no one dayers is a shame. I like foxtel showing non Australian cricket series but I wish all Australian international matches were on FTA as well.

3 Likes

CA were practically begging Ten and/or Nine for the $1 billion to give them the rights. Still can’t believe that last ditch bid from Ten was still short of the magically $1 billion. Bottom feeding right up to the end.

1 Like

Was speaking to non media followers last night at the pub and the cricket was on the screen and they were just bemoaning cricket being on fox. Some of them have pay tv but we’re saying they prefer it on free to air as it is the national game and they would refuse to pay for cricket on fox.

2 Likes

How is 960m bottom feeding for a 5 year deal compared to just over 1b for 6 years? Your comment is nonsense.

4 Likes

You do realise that even if they offered 1 Billion Fox would’ve gone higher? Fox wanted cricket hell or high water, and CA wanted Fox in every way possible.

1 Like