Cricket television rights 2018 (Foxtel/Seven)

When it comes down to the crunch there is no one else to blame but Ten itself.It was never in a financial position to take on the rest of the networks for any sporting rights,given there was now CBS I don’t think they will throw good money away unless of course it was Baseball or other US games

The AFR reported that they dropped out on Thursday (when the FTA auction happened)

There’ll be the exact same amount of games (43) available on FTA under this deal compared to what Ten showed last season - the Foxtel exclusive games will consist of the additional games created as part of the BBL expanding to having a full home and away season.

So from 2020, during the period of those last 16 games, do Seven just run dead?

While Nine have the Aus Open?

Who would’ve thought, no 2 weeks of MKR, that show will die a quick death.

Probably double headers, like Saturday night AFL.

The last 16 games before the finals? That is an odd agreement if that’s it - it’s like Seven agreeing not to broadcast any games from the last two rounds of the AFL.

1 Like

From 2019/2020 to 2023/2024, when Seven doesn’t have the Australian Open, I reckon the 16 Fox Sports exclusive games will be spread out in December and January so there will still be at least one BBL match on FTA each day.

4 Likes

My understanding based on what I have read and seen is on days of a bbl double header 7 will show 1 game only “the better “premium” game”. Most likely a night game. This is where the 16 exclusive games are for Fox Sports. So on double headers 7 show 1, Fox Sports show 2. This being a Twilight game and a night game. The season will finish around the same time as Aus Open. 7 had this stipulated in the contract. The semis and Grand Final will be night games. Also stipulated in the contract. Cricket Australia will onsell the Fox Sports telecast as the world feed.

3 Likes

So you think the stipulation printed yesterday “last” 16 games, is purely just to satisfy Seven’s last year of Aus Open next summer?

Can you point to that “last 16 games” reference? I can’t find it via Google, I can only find “remaining 16 games”.

I think so.

1 Like

There’s some article on the Australian site about how ten is now the only network without a major sport property.

Has anyone read the article? What’s the tone? It must be news Corp in full glory after destroying ten because they didn’t get to buy it.

Why is it that foxtel won’t sign up to a deal unless they have the full rights in simulcast? This is similar to when they wouldn’t sign up to nrl unless they had the full suite of games.

1 Like

Could there be a chance that TEN might be able to obtain the rights for the 1 Day and 20/20 mens international, if the Anti-siphoning laws are re-enforced.

Im aware that Seven doesn’t want them.

Or 7 claims they don’t want them

3 Likes

But BBL IS T20 in domestic format. So the format is not dead, the ODIs might be as I said.

I am hearing rumblings in the legal circle that Ten and Nine are planning an appeal on the deal.

6 Likes

Has this ever happened with any sports rights negotiations in Australia before after they’ve been announced?

1 Like

I don’t believe so I believe a precedent is needed.

2 Likes

This is very interesting if true

http://dennisdoescricket.com/how-channel-10-lost-the-cricket/

This updated offer was presented by Ten in a meeting with Sutherland and Amarfio. The Cricket Australia officials excused themselves from the room for five minutes, re-entered, and expressed that a deal had been done. Ten would be the free-to-air partner at $80m and Amarfio offered to draft up a Letter of Intent documenting this outcome.

What a mess.

10 Likes

Did Foxtel affect it by threatening to walk away if FTA rights went to Ten?