Crazy Fun Park

CRAZY FUN PARK

First look from the set of ABC ME horror comedy CRAZY FUN PARK

Filming is underway in Melbourne on ABC ME’s horror comedy series Crazy Fun Park, with images from the set revealing a first look at the key cast in character. The ten-episode series promises to be a visually captivating scream for teens, with production happening on location and a significant Fun Park set build taking place. From Werner Film Productions (producers of hit ABC drama The Newsreader ), the series presents a coming-of-age tale that follows best friends Chester and Mapplethorpe, a duo so inseparable, not even death can pull them apart.

Created by writer/ director Nicholas Verso ( Boys In The Trees ) and produced by Joanna Werner ( The Newsreader ) the series tells the story of Chester, an introverted teen who makes the incredible discovery that his recently deceased best friend, Mapplethorpe, is one of a group of ghoulish teens who haunt the abandoned fun park on the edge of town. Without rules, adults or the real world to get in the way, Chester truly believes that Crazy Fun Park is a place where the fun never stops. But the dead have much to teach the living and Chester soon learns that maintaining his friendship with Mapplethorpe might have dangerous consequences…

Crazy Fun Park stars exciting young Australian talent – Henry Strand as Chester, Stacy Clausen as Mapplethorpe, Hannah Ogawa as Violetta, Justin Holborow as Remus, Pedrea Jackson as Nimrod plus appearances from a venerable adult guest cast including Judith Lucy, Kim Gyngell, Bernard Curry, Alexandra Schepisi, Kuni Hashimoto, Alicia Banit, Simon Burke, Sally-Anne Upton and Anne Charleston.

Libbie Doherty, ABC Head of Children’s, said “The Crazy Fun Park team is clearly having a blast as production gets underway. As rushes roll in, we are already seeing outstanding performances from the young cast – an impressive combination of lightness and depth. Nick’s powerful aesthetic and the world class crew have created a visually stunning space for everyone to play in and the Melbourne locations look beautifully fresh. This show breaks new ground for younger audiences and we are so proud to be the Australian commissioner and home for this series.”

Jenny Buckland, ACTF CEO said: “The ACTF is thrilled to be on the roller coaster with the Crazy Fun Park team and to be bringing this extraordinary, imaginative, high-end television series to the world. It is set to captivate and enthral audiences everywhere, setting its own benchmark for what children’s television can be.”

CRAZY FUN PARK will air on ABC ME and ABC iview in early 2023.

Production Credit: CRAZY FUN PARK is a Werner Film production for the ABC. Major production investment from Screen Australia and the Australian Children’s Television Foundation in association with Film Victoria and the ABC. Distribution by the Australian Children’s Television Foundation. Created by Nicholas Verso, Directed by Verso, Sarah Hickey and Adrian Russell Wills. Writers: Nicholas Verso, Magda Wozniak, Craig Irvin, Enoch Mailangi and Fury. Produced by Joanna Werner with ABC Executive Producer Libbie Doherty. Executive Producer; Stuart Menzies, Joanna Werner, Bernadette O’Mahony.

1 Like

Are the ghosts only seen by one person like Spirited or everyone like Glitch?

Welcome to Crazy Fun Park!

Behind the walls of an eerie, abandoned theme park, an incredible adventure full of intrigue, thrills and hijinks awaits. Crazy Fun Park premieres Sunday, 1 January 2023 at 6pm on ABC ME and ABC iview.

Creator/Writer/Director Nicholas Verso (Boys In The Trees) and Producer Joanna Werner (The Newsreader, Dance Academy, Surviving Summer) tell the story of high school best friends Chester (Henry Strand) and Mapplethorpe (Stacy Clausen) who must grapple with life after death when tragedy strikes.

A haunted adventure ensues as the group of ghoulish teens who reside in the old, abandoned theme park appear. The fun park offers Chester a reprieve from dealing with the loss of his best friend when he discovers Mapplethorpe now lives among the undead in the park.

However, Chester and Mapplethorpe must face the reality of life apart or deal with the deadly consequences.

As well as Henry and Stacy, Crazy Fun Park boasts an exciting cast of young, emerging Australian talent including Hannah Ogawa as Violetta, Justin Holborow as Remus, Pedrea Jackson as Nimrod, Charli Wookey as Siobhan, Jason Thompson as Zed, Georgia La Belle as Destinee**,** Lee Halley as Gonzo and Ziggy Zilberman-Sharp as Tigger plus appearances from a venerable adult guest cast including Judith Lucy, Kim Gyngell, Katherine Tonkin, Bernard Curry, Alexandra Schepisi, Kuni Hashimoto, Alicia Banit, Simon Burke, Sally-Anne Upton, Anne Charleston and Rachael Maza.

Verso was inspired to create a show after losing several friends as a teenager.

“I never really spoke about it. There was no language for a teenage boy to process grief and what happens when you watch somebody’s life get ripped away from them. So I wanted to create a show that dealt with grief and loss but was also a fun, explosive celebration of life and spirit and how that energy can live on in our memories.”

The show was filmed in a custom-designed theme park, built in Altona by acclaimed production designer, Paddy Reardon (Muriel’s Wedding, Chopper, Underbelly).

All episodes will be available on Sunday, 1 January on ABC iview from 7am.

Production credit: Crazy Fun Park is a Werner Films production for the ABC. Major production investment from Screen Australia and the Australian Children’s Television Foundation in association with the ABC and VicScreen. Distribution by the Australian Children’s Television Foundation. Created by Nicholas Verso, Directed by Nicolas Verso and Sarah Hickey. Writers: Nicholas Verso, Magda Wozniak, Craig Irvin, Enoch Mailangi and Fury. Produced by Joanna Werner with ABC Executive Producer Libbie Doherty. Executive Producers; Stuart Menzies, Joanna Werner, Bernadette O’Mahony.

Crazy Fun Park is a very dark show for kids. It’s supposed to be a comedy but it’s difficult with the death storylines in every episode. Finding it difficult to like this show. It’s so heavy that there needs to be a public announcement for kids helpline at the end of most episodes. Do we really need such dark shows for kids?

You’ll be surprised at the kids of today’s taste of entertainment. Everything is geared to the increasingly adult/mature/dark/sinister side from music, movies, tv shows etc.

1 Like

Why are you watching kids show?

Because I like watching all types of Australian scripted content, whether its aimed at adults or children. There’s a lot of good stuff produced in Australia and often the kids show have a lot of stuff in there that would probably go over their heads and is equally enjoyable for adults, like Bluey.

There are some children’s shows which are impossible to watch and you can’t make it past a second episode. But there are many brilliant shows like Dance Academy, which was better than a lot of the drama that was being produced in prime time, in that era. Crazy Fun Park has some good ideas, good writing and performances but the tone is just off at times.

I agree there is an increasingly dark/sinister side to movies and TV shows that are being produced these days and I’m not a fan of that. I prefer a good mix of drama and comedy like real life.

1 Like

Crazy Fun Park will screen in a number of different territories over the coming months after being acquired by broadcasters in Spain, Finland, Norway, Lithuania, Belgium, Slovenia, Taiwan, and New Zealand.

The series will be available to stream on BBC iPlayer in the UK autumn.

The series will premiere on Hulu on Sunday, October 1.