COVID-19: SA Outbreak

And in the past month (or so) we’ve had every major capital city experience some form of lockdown? Australia can’t keep tracking along this way… absolute nightmare.

1 Like

SA’s strategy seems like it is the extreme opposite to NSW, probably too far, but understandable (& i’m generally pro-lockdown). Hopefully it finishes early. They will have issues getting the federal government to agree to matching their definition of a hotspot.

Is there a lot of exposure sites? I know its the ‘delta’ strain but I find it hard to believe a lockdown has been announced unless there is an abundance of exposure sites.

Is SA allowing click and collect? They didn’t last time.

There’s at least 16 exposure sites at the moment, many of them would be classified as ‘Tier 1’ if it was in Victoria. I reckon that number will go up if more cases are found.

Yes. This time the likes of Big W is deemed ‘essential service’ and can open but everyone must wear masks.

I did hear from someone there is 3000 people in isolation now. However, I just wonder if a lockdown was necessary and if it was was it necessary for regional towns. For example Coober Pedy or Mount Gambier? Could have they not done a greater Adelaide lockdown to begin with and see how that went to begin with? Its not like any of the exposure sites were football grounds - which would have regional people going to it.

2 Likes

Tasmanian Government has announced it will declare the whole of SA as a high-risk area from 4pm AEST today, effectively closing the border except to essential travellers. Essential travellers must apply for permission to enter the state and, if approved, are required to quarantine for 14 days. As well, anyone who has arrived in Tasmania from SA since July 8 must wear a mask for 14 days from when they left SA.

Queensland will declare SA a hotspot from 1am Thursday, 22nd July. Any Queenland resident who arrives into the state from SA must enter into 14 days hotel quarantine.

Victoria also declared SA a red zone as of 11.59pm tomorrow (Wednesday), meaning the two week ban on Victorians returning from red zone as announced by Daniel Andrews this morning will also apply to SA from tomorrow.
The border bubble still applies.

In addition, the Victorian Chief Health Officer has declared South Australia an orange zone, in effect retrospectively as of 11:59pm Monday 12 July.

South Australia recorded a new case today, a woman in her 20s who works at The Greek on Halifax restaurant where the fifth case originated yesterday. She also worked at Westminster School in Marion providing counselling to boarders and attended training on a pupil-free day yesterday.

The South Australian Government today announced a $100 million support package for business during the state’s lockdown. $3,000 cash grants will be available to small and medium businesses that suffer significant loss of income and sole traders can apply for a $1,000 grant. $600 weekly support payments are available for workers in regional SA.

In addition to 1 new local case reported this morning, 5 new cases have been reported this afternoon linked to the Yattalunga Winery in the city’s north and another case linked to the Greek on Halifax in the city.

Guess the lockdown decision is a justified one.

Was just doing a quick grocery run today and there was a massive line for testing (right around numerous streets). Very encouraging to see.

They are all linked though right? Seems they got onto it quickly. I think a state lockdown will only be justified if there becomes an unknown case or one that was infectious in the community for a long time. I still find it baffling Coober pedy, Ceduna and Mount Gambier are in lockdown.

Yes they’re all linked. As for regional I guess they just want to play it safe since it’s the Delta strain which has already caused havoc in the East. One person could ruin it all if they have it and go into regional areas.

I think the Patient 0 from Argentina via NSW was in the community for about a week before developing symptoms which is why they went for a full-scale lockdown in case there were many other places he’s been to.

1 Like

SA today announced two new positive cases, a brother and sister in their 20s who attended the Tenafeate Creek Winery in Yattalunga on the weekend. A record 17,592 tests were conducted yesterday, up from 13,000 on Tuesday.

Earlier, Western Australia has reclassified SA as a medium risk state and will reinstate the hard border at midday AWST (1.30pm ACST), meaning only travellers with an exemption can enter WA. They will be required to self-quarantine for 14 days, and be tested within 48 hours of arrival and on day 12.

One new case in SA today from a record 23,572 tests yesterday, linked to the winery at Yattalunga.

and the person was in quarantine for their entire infectious period.

1 Like

Which is very encouraging.

One new case in SA today linked to the winery at Yattalunga. The person was in quarantine.
23,410 tests were done yesterday.

SA Premier Steven Marshall said he was confident the lockdown would end on Tuesday as planned.

2 Likes