COVID-19: SA Outbreak

Yes to that. It’s clear we can’t trust everyone to do the right thing, especially with that pizza worker, the student from Woodville High and now this person.

People just don’t think it’s serious it seems. It’s almost as if SA needs it to get out of control. I see it in the shops. Hardly anyone is wearing a mask.

Whilst I agree with you, that will never happen because you won’t have people coming forward to get tested with the fear that if they test positive they’ll then be shipped to hotel quarantine.

What’s the fear? Being waited on and food prepared for you for 2 weeks straight. No cleaning or housework. Scary. Think of it as a mini holiday!

2 Likes

I think it should be the option. Hotel quarantine or you be marked with a tracking device. And if you break those rules you are put into hotel quarantine. It’s already a case of those being a close contact needing to self quarantine. They also should be given ankle bracelets.

SA has such a unique situation where they can really stop this spread and it’s just a few individuals who are doing the wrong thing.

No new cases yesterday or today. Those four hotspot locations are still on high alert so hopefully people comply.

3 Likes

Embarrassment for SA Health. The man who went shopping at three Adelaide shopping centres had done nothing wrong.

That is terrible. That poor man has been vilified by the media.

Edit: I have still got a problem with this. I didn’t know you had to receive a ‘formal’ request to quarantine. The health minister has always said if you are told to self isolate and asked to get tested on day 1 and 12 then you must not go out unless to get tested. So I just find it hard to believe you need to have a ‘formal request’. Really confused. And I think we all should know the rules by now.

You’d think, but people need things spelled out for them and if he wasn’t given a notice to self-isolate then that is on the health dept.

No new cases for the fourth consecutive day and SA is still going strong with 230 days since the last unknown case.

Does anyone know why reusable cloth masks have been banned to go to the chemist?

That’s the first time I’ve heard of that.

3 Likes

My chemist refused my mum because she wasn’t wearing a surgical mask.

I think medical grade face masks are required anywhere in a healthcare setting (ie. GP clinic, pharmacy, hospital).

The hospital made me take off my cloth mask and replace it with a surgical one when I was getting tested months ago.

Edit: just to point out this was in Melbourne, so I can only assume SA has taken on the same policy?

I just never realised this was a thing for walking into a pharmacy to get a prescription. I don’t understand why a cloth mask isn’t ok?

Presumably more high risk. There’s likely to be more sick people in a chemist, hospital, GP clinic etc. Higher quality mask = higher level of protection I guess.

From what I heard a cloth mask is only really effective in protecting the person from pollutants and not useful for protecting one from something like COVID-19.

Apparently it’s because the surgical masks are specifically designed to filter the virus microparticles whilst cloth masks only block pollutant particles and do not filter successfully like the surgical ones. Hope that helps.

I understand that but there was no notice of this and stopping someone from getting a prescription just seems wrong. And from all reports even the Health Minister is confused by the stipulations. They need to know what they are doing and stand by it. Surgical masks are not cheap either. They are over $1 per mask. My mum works as a home assist carer. She goes to 5 clients a day. That means she is using over 10 masks a day (between her and her client). Which means nearly $30 is coming out of her pocket every day. If these rules are in place they really need to be supply the masks. Because up until this week we have been told cloth masks are fine.

No I understand that. I don’t understand that while restrictions are being eased things like going to the pharmacy is getting harder. As I said surgical masks are much more expensive. And they are single use. I have a huge issue with that alone. The things we are forgetting about is the planet and what our current actions are doing to that. People are walking into the pharmacy knowing what they want and leaving. I don’t think there is any risk and pharmacies haven’t even been a ‘hot spot’ in Australia since the beginning of the pandemic.

I went to the GP today and there was a notice which said that everyone must wear surgical masks and not cloth ones, effective from yesterday. I was a bit surprised but I was wearing a surgical one so I was OK. I can only guess that in a medical setting they don’t want to take any health risks but they should’ve communicated it better.

And just for the record I don’t like the single use ones too. It’s really a waste and reusable ones are better in the sense that you’re not wasting it. I can live with using surgical masks since we’re in a pandemic but in normal times I prefer reusable ones.

See I can understand the doctors I don’t really understand the pharmacy.