COVID-19: Melbourne/Greater Victoria Re-Opens

I’m guessing there might be more indoor dining too.

I think it’s also pretty clear that the unvaccinated are doing home visits anyway as is, which is driving a lot of cases.

Does anyone know if the curfew will be out once we hit 70% or is it 80%

70%

2 Likes

Any idea when Daniel Andrew’s will be making his announcement today?

this is from the whattimeisthevicpresser twttier page
FYI team: journos have been called to a 10:30am briefing on some updated modelling ahead of the presser. I expect the presser to be around 11:30am but I’ll keep you posted (can’t make the journos go too long between coffees!)

1 Like

Getting my coffee ready.

2 Likes

Yay!! So happy for Melbourne.

Daniel Andrews said 89% of Victoria’s population over the age of 16 have had one dose and 65.5% are fully vaccinated.

Isn’t it ridiculous how people from Melbourne still can’t enter regional Victoria but people from New South Wales can travel anywhere in Victoria from Wednesday?

Are you ever happy? Just be grateful that we are ending lockdown. Being able to do and enjoy life again.

12 Likes

This is fantastic! Cannot be more happy. The government has really stuck to their word.

It’s great we’re ending lockdown and get a lot of freedoms back, but it’s just ludicrous how there’s still a metro and regional divide. I’m seeing so many messages on social media and people I know who are frustrated they can’t see family in regional and vice versa. Yet people from NSW can enter regional Victoria.

Probably a wise move holding ground on Retail until 80%. Scenes in Sydney a little wild this week.

3 Likes

Baby steps is surely better than nothing? It was always going to be gradual opening up. None of the Dom approach in NSW.

Besides, social media is only a small minority of people who will complain about everything and anything on end. Wouldn’t be taking much from their response.

1 Like

I’m also disappointed that it seems the government are going ahead with this silly outdoor retail thing. Surely the risk of letting them open up indoors is minimal?

Given they have to get a test 72 hours before leaving NSW, have a valid reason for entering the state, isolate at a place in regional Victoria until getting another test in Victoria, and then be subject to all the rules of regional Victoria - no it’s not ridiculous.

If you do that isolating in Melbourne, you’d be subject to the same rules as Melbourne and unable to enter regional Vic.

Case numbers are much lower in NSW - it’s far safer for someone from NSW to enter regional Vic than it is for someone from Metro Melbourne.

And yeah - this directly affects me. I’m in metro Melbourne with nearly all my family being in regional Victoria. I’m not “frustrated” - I’ll be able to see them weeks before the original plan had suggested thanks to the fast vaccination rates - that’s much more important than if a handful of NSW residents can go to regional Vic.

6 Likes

There’s still a metro and regional divide in NSW. What’s your problem?

1 Like

Are you happy with anything? They added more things to the original roadmap despite increasing case numbers. All this nitpicking on rules is a bit OTT when it is also likely to only be about a week between 70-80%. So given how long we’ve endured lockdowns, an extra week to stagger things isn’t very long. Plus at least there are added options for retailers to trade during that short period of they choose too. It’s all progression.

5 Likes