COVID-19: Impact on Sports & Culture (What do I now do on the weekends?)

Supposedly they talked to Ten about them taking back the Big Bash - but the problem is that it’s not worth it to Ten for the same reason it’s dragging Seven down - too expensive, not exclusive.

I fear the Royal Melbourne Show will be next.

The Cobargo Folk Festival was cancelled in February due to the bushfires, and then the one day replacement bushfire recovery festival scheduled for 3 May was cancelled. They’d be hoping that the next festival goes ahead in February 2021.

The MSO is applying for JobKeeper for its employees.

This morning Global Citizen announced a separate line-up for the livestreaming event, which will be held at 2pm US Eastern Summer Time on Saturday 18th April (4am AEST Sunday). Delta Goodrem will appear in this show.
https://twitter.com/GlblCtzn/status/1250115344401907714

The line up for the main show (live on 10 and MTV at 10am AEST) has also been expanded.
https://twitter.com/GlblCtzn/status/1250116777469673478

It will be. I don’t know why you are fearing it though. I would be more fearful of it going ahead.

3 Likes

Broadcast on:

How: Watch on TV
When: April 19 | 8-10A AEST

MTV AUSTRALIA

How: Watch on TV
When: April 19 | 6-8P AEST

BEIN SPORTS

How: Watch on TV and Online
When: April 19 | 00:00 GMT

APPLE

How: Watch online
When: April 18 | 8-10P ET
Apps: Apple Music, Apple TV, Apple Beats 1

FACEBOOK

How: Watch online
When: April 18 | 2-10P ET

INSTAGRAM

How: Watch Online

TUNEIN

TWITCH

When: April 18 | 2-10P ET / 7P-8A BST

TWITTER

YOUTUBE

ONE CHAMPIONSHIP

When: TBA

EBU

How: TBA
When: TBA

Currumbin’s ANZAC day service was pre-recorded today for later broadcast.

1 Like

Melbourne Writers Festival organisers revealed on Wednesday that this year’s event, to be held in August, would be totally online.

1 Like

While the Australian Open tennis may need to be postponed, the same cannot be said for men’s Twenty20 World Cup. Next year’s World Cup is set to be held in India. If Australia cannot host this year’s tournament due to travel restrictions caused by coronavirus, I think it will be called a forfeiture and Cricket Australia may have to bid again for hosting rights in a few years’ time.

1 Like

Latest TV broadcast details:

LIVE (10AM-12PM): FTA: (Metro) Seven (7, 70, 71) (7plus) 10 (10, 13) (10Play)
LIVE (10AM-12PM): Pay: National Geographic (Foxtel/Fetch), MSNBC (Fetch), Bloomberg Television (Foxtel/Fetch), BeIn Sports 1 (Foxtel/Fetch/Kayo)

REPLAY: MTV (Foxtel/Fetch) (6-8PM), MTV Music (Foxtel/Fetch) (6-8PM), MTV Dance (Foxtel/Fetch) (6-8PM), BeIn Sports 1 (Foxtel/Fetch/Kayo) (6-8PM), National Geographic (Foxtel/Fetch) (12-2PM) (6:30-8:30PM), 10Peach (11) (10Play) (9:30PM-12:10AM), E! (Foxtel/Fetch) (5-7PM)

Caps:
ABC News US Live Stream (Youtube)

Be-In Sports France (Youtube)

meWATCH (Youtube)

7 (7plus)

10 (10Play)

National Geographic (Fetch Mobi)

Be-In Sports 1 (Kayo)

MSNBC (Fetch Mobi)

Bloomberg Television (Fetch Mobi)

yes the musicans maybe for the global audicence but for the most part you can tell this for american audiences

1 Like

Moonee Valley Racing Club has conceded that the 100th running of the Cox Plate in October will be ran behind closed doors.

There is now talk that the Club will consider running the event at night, after ditching a proposal last month to axe this years’ celebrations and stage the 100th running in 2021 instead.

It was first revealed as a “late breaking rumour” near the end of Ross and John on 3AW this morning.

Full statement

The fate of this year’s Royal Perth Show, which is due to be held in the same period as the Royal Melbourne Show, is yet to be decided.

1 Like
1 Like

Lots of rumours and stuff that I’m hearing about various other sports from across the wires. NASCAR is going to try to return for real (rather than in VR) in mid May without crowds (which based on trends in the last few years isn’t a massive change from what they’ve been getting in the stands), yet Moto GP looks as though won’t return until August after more races were canned (the lower classes ran the first round). Still no word on Supercars returning for real, although the E-Series has dragged a number of guest appearances including F1 driver Max Verstappen, IndyCar champ Will Power and last night the 2 time former champ Marcos Ambrose which we’d be unlikely to see for real in our lifetime. Indeed their pressing issue may well be finding another title sponsor which I’m sure is covered elsewhere.

F1 made their teams shut down for another month, but are looking to start on July 5 in Austria, then hold European races until the end of August, run events such as Russia and Azerbaijan in September, do the American swing (US, Canada, Brazil) in October, then head for the Asian and middle East races through to the Abu Dhabi finale in December.

Club Rugby appears destined for a return in July, whilst our sources in local Australian Football are waiting for May 11’s AFL announcement before making any moves ourselves. The gut feel from those connected is we may well be given the green light about the same time as Rugby, perhaps a little earlier, but just how local seasons will look (I’m anticipating 10 games up here rather than 15 with ground availability, not sure if youth games are going to be played on different days so that numbers are restricted)

In terms of running, at this stage I’m still looking at Canberra in mid-August to be the first event I’m probably going to be able to get to/run. South Africa has been postponed but they haven’t disclosed a date, and personally I’ll probably looking to contact Etihad soon to see how long I can defer travel to rather than cancel and re-book (again another story). If I can defer, and defer further for 2021 then I’ll save a truckload of money even if there’s rebooking fees, but I’m not banking on it.

Gold Coast is the next major marathon scheduled for early July, but it’s doubtful the limit on gatherings will be large enough to conduct it by that time (this event usually can see up to 20000 running in either the half or full marathons on the Sunday, before we get to volunteers, medical officials and those who watch. Canberra in comparison would be lucky to have half as much on the Sunday running the Ultra, Full and Half Marathons combined on a course that isn’t overly spectator friendly, and by August it could very well have greater limits). I’m also predicting Melbourne in October will go ahead, but whether the finish at the MCG or outside will be possible is doubtful pending what the AFL do (I suspect they may choose to spread the events out further across the day which may impact traffic for longer but with Daylight Savings starting that weekend light won’t be an issue for later starts to smaller events), and I’m also confident I’ll be able to get to Auckland in late October for their marathon pending whether I’ll need to quarantine at either end (it looks as though trans-tasman travel will be possible before then) and miss work.

Wow, that really sucks, especially for the Liverpool Football Club…
Oh hang on, as of 2020-04-30, 13:00 AEST, that Fox Sports story says EPL still has a few weeks to plan their resumption, so the headline is/was wrong.

It possibly needs the lockout in Queensland lifted before they can get started again - CEO Sean Seamer said that they were looking at how to run events with minimal attendees (teams, broadcasters, officials etc) but it needs higher people limits on events

I think when the national cabinet imposed restrictions, it didn’t consider the long-term consequences on water safety by forcing swimming schools to close temporarily.

1 Like

The long term consequence is only if there’s not massive post COVID investment in restoration of businesses and community services.

That story only holds if the second part is true - that there’s permanent closures and reduction in capacity, it’s not that someone missed out on a lesson this month so they’ll never learn. You just need to identify where these services are failing, and ensure they don’t, or support new ones to replace them.

Same applies to all businesses - wedding cakes might be more expensive after COVID because some wedding supply companies failed during this time - that doesn’t mean the 5 person wedding restriction was a mistake. Likewise this doesn’t mean swim schools should be open.

2 Likes