COVID-19: Impact on Sports & Culture (What do I now do on the weekends?)

Now cancelled:

Could this year’s Sydney to Hobart have been saved? The Tasmanian Government could have given exemptions to sailors taking part with conditions, e.g. those who arrive in Hobart must leave the state on the next available flight on the same day.
When Cruising Yacht Club of Australia devised its COVID-safe plan for this year’s event, it never imagined the worst case scenario would have happened. Next year it will have to talk to the Tasmanian Government about a travel bubble similar to that for the BBL, because there is no guarantee the 2021 race will go ahead with constant changing conditions around the world.

I think it could have run if the sailors were tested prior and went straight to a hotel quarantine afterwards before leaving Tasmania. It was probably just too big of a logistical exercise to organise in such a short timeframe and there’s too much uncertainty at the moment.

Maybe, maybe not - it depends on too many factors that are either as yet unknown or out of the CYCA’s control.

Discussing points in a more relevant thread…

I don’t think the Sydney Royal Easter Show will be an event which never happens again, it survived a break of several years during World War 2 afterall. But knowing that Sydney won’t be anywhere near ready to have mass gathering events on that scale by March (certainly an unimaginable prospect at the present time anyway), I think it’d be for the best if it didn’t go ahead next year and the RAS instead focused on a return in 2022 or the next year that conditions permit.

Besides, anyone who’s been to the Royal Easter Show in more recent years knows there’s been a gradual decline in the quality of the attractions for over a decade. The duration was cut from 14 days to 12 in 2018, but despite that I don’t think there were any major improvements at the final two pre-pandemic Shows.

Yes, all of the various state/territory capital Royal Agricultural Shows (aside from Canberra’s which happened just before the pandemic really took off) were cancelled in 2020.

3 Likes

City of Sydney councillor Christine Forster told ABC News Radio this morning that Lord Mayor Clover Moore wanted next week’s NYE fireworks cancelled in light of the Northern Beaches cluster, but was overruled by the NSW Government which is managing this year’s event.
This came after University of NSW infectious diseases expert Professor Raina MacIntyre wrote in The Sun-Herald on Sunday that December 31 in Sydney could present “the mother of all super-spreading events” despite smaller crowds.

So a friend showed me the pre-sale link for the Australian Open and despite it going on sale tomorrow, it looks like they still haven’t sorted out to what exact capacity. Initially ticket sales will only be to the 3 main arenas which will all have separate entrances and you are put in “pods” with your group of up to max 6. It mentions that there will be no ground passes at this stage, however there’s a chance some may go on sale closer to the event if they get the green light.

Victoria’s Bay Cycling Classic has joined Tour Down Under, Cadel Evans Great Ocean Race and the Herald Sun Tour on the list of cancelled cycling events this summer due to COVID-19.

1 Like

Also, the NSW Government has reduced the maximum capacity of sporting venues due to the Northern Beaches cluster. The venues will only have 50% capacity until December 31.

1 Like
2 Likes

Oops, old post.

What I meant to post was a follow up about the NYE fireworks in Sydney as posted by TV-ACT above.
So NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian does not want people to gather at Sydney Harbour foreshore to watch the fireworks, to keep the celebration as low key as possible. It’s not an easy compromise, as Sydney is one of few remaining cities in the world that will have some NYE celebration in the middle of the pandemic and the fireworks will still be shown live worldwide.
Does it mean the Sydney concert which will be shown on the ABC on NYE will also not have any live audience?

1 Like

Wednesday’s clash between Tottenham and Fulham was cancelled three hours before kickoff, after the latest round of Premier League Covid-19 testing on Tuesday found 18 people had the virus - the highest figure recorded in the testing program.

2 Likes
2 Likes

That will lead to a reshuffle to the Supercars calendar as they will race on the Albert Park circuit as well.

2 Likes

According to Jacqui Felgate on Instagram, the Melbourne F1 Grand Prix has been officially postponed.

2 Likes
2 Likes

If the Aus GP gets postponed, the Supercars will instead race at Sandown that weekend.

The track has been booked for multiple weekends this year to provide the series with a ‘back-up’ venue incase rounds can’t go ahead as scheduled

1 Like

Official announcement:

2 Likes

A proposed Southern 80 ‘mini season’ has been cancelled due to the recent outbreaks in NSW and VIC.

The 2021 Southern 80 was cancelled in early October.