COVID-19: Impact on Sports & Culture (What do I now do on the weekends?)

Interesting, Sandown can only host a maximum of 5 motor racing each year.

1 Like

Why?

Noise levels affecting local residents so they’ve long been restricted to how many motor racing events they have. I worked there for a few years, I think the most we had was 4 events (Friday to Sunday) including Easternats which wasn’t technically a motor race.

I guess they can book more but only host that many of required which hopefully it’s not.

I dont believe the intention was to go back to Sandown multiple times, rather it allowed Supercars some flexibility to retain a set number of rounds if restrictions required changes to the calendar

1 Like

Whoever was responsible for seat allocations at McDonald Jones Stadium has done a piss poor job. There are people directly in front of people, people less than 2 seats away from each other, people not wearing masks who aren’t children or eating or drinking, and people thinking they can spread out, such as the fat :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: in front of me. And no one is patrolling it properly.

If this is the standard, may as well put the entire league in a bubble. FFS.

2 Likes

And to add insult to idiocy, this fat :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:'s family just won a Westfield gift card.

This man is wearing a hat saying “they say that we should act our age”. How about you be an adult and follow the rules.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Damn :frowning:

3 Likes

1 Like

This years Australian Grand Prix has been postponed until November 21.

3 Likes

Given it takes a long time to travel from Sao Paulo to Melbourne, F1 drivers and personnel will only have one week or so to self-quarantine in hotels. Will it be enough for Victorian health officials?

2 Likes

Guess the assumption/hope is that by November current measures will at least be eased (if not lifted in some cases)

1 Like

The assumption in their planning would be that both the F1 drivers and enough of the Australian population would be vaccinated by then to make them safely be able to travel here.

Hong Kong this week cancelled nearly all major lunar new year celebrations, including the fireworks display and the popular lunar market at Victoria Park, due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

1 Like

England’s Glastonbury music festival has been cancelled for the second year in a row due to COVID-19, but organisers have not ruled out livestreaming some concerts.

This year’s Melbourne International Flower and Garden Show will not go ahead in March but the organisers are planning to hold the event in October. It didn’t go head in March 2020 due to the pandemic.

1 Like

Friday’s NBL clash between Perth Wildcats and New Zealand Breakers had been postponed after WA announced a five-day lockdown for Perth.

This came after today’s match between the two teams was cancelled.

2 Likes

US rock bands Cheap Trick, Stone Temple Pilots and Bush will be the first international acts to tour Australia since COVID-19 pandemic began. They will arrive in Sydney in April for 14 days of hotel quarantine, then a week of rehearsals, before embarking on 11 Under The Southern Stars shows nationally.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/us-rock-bands-get-green-light-to-tour-australia-in-may/news-story/6880899f349667313116332c22d22ba8

More well-connected/wealthy queue-jumpers while almost 40 000 Australians are still stuck overseas because of the Morrison government’s international arrival caps.

2 Likes

Lunar New Year celebrations across Australia have been scaled down this year due to COVID. Year of the Ox starts this Friday, February 12.