COVID-19: Impact on Sports & Culture (What do I now do on the weekends?)

I agree. I just think it would be the perfect time to do the Hubs after round 7. In WA the Victorian teams can continue to play one another in quarantine while in SA the 14 days of quarantine will no longer be required. The AFL protect Victorian clubs way too much but there are clearly issues playing in Victoria at the moment.

Queensland’s new rules for Victorian teams of all sports mean they will be no matches between them for at least a month, until COVID-19 cases in Victoria begin to drop again.
The rules require all Queensland-based sporting teams, regardless of code, to quarantine for 14 days if they play a match in Melbourne, or play a Melbourne-based team in another state. Queensland teams will also have to self-isolate for 14 days if they play a match in another state against a team that has been in Melbourne in the preceding 14 days.

1 Like

Cirque du Soleil has applied for bankruptcy protection in Canada, and is planning to do the same in USA.

In March, Cirque du Soleil postponed the Melbourne season of Kurios, which was due to be held at Flemington Racecourse, due to COVID-19 pandemic.
1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

This will be the only major agricultural show to be held this year after shows in other states were cancelled due to COVID-19.

1 Like

The three Victorian clubs (Victory, City and Western United) scrambled to meet at AAMI Park at short notice to make it to NSW before the border closed, and the players gathered and were told to get on a number of buses to take them to the airport.

The plane was due to take the teams to Canberra, where they could then travel on to Sydney. But despite everyone making it onto the plane, low visibility in Canberra meant the flight could not depart and everyone had to get off and go home.

NSW deputy premier John Barilaro on Tuesday gave every indication that the clubs would get the exemptions they are seeking.

“I think we have got to work with the FFA and I will be reaching out to the FFA and seeing what support they need,” he told SBS.

The Victorian Government announced today that metropolitan Melbourne and nearby Shire of Mitchell would go back into stage 3 lockdown at midnight tomorrow for at least six weeks. That means community sport venues and indoor venues will have to close again. The VFL season, with only seven teams competing this year, was supposed to start on August 1, but venue closures means the season will have to be called off.

1 Like

Maybe the A-League should be abandoned.

1 Like

The upcoming Super Netball season is under threat as well. The fixture has not yet been released, and Melbourne Vixens didn’t apply for any exemption from NSW, SA, QLD and WA governments to play in those states.

1 Like

What about Collingwood?

Forgot about them. If Super Netball organisers don’t sort out the exemptions soon, this season is finished.

The NSW Government have said that they will consider applications for exemptions for professional sports teams if they follow similar arrangements to what the AFL and NRL have done

1 Like

As I tipped yesterday, the 2020 VFL season has been cancelled.
https://vfl.com.au/vfl-statement-2020-hard-yakka-totally-workwear-vfl-update/

The closure of NSW-Victorian border has led to Racing NSW banning Victorian horses from travelling to the state, something Racing Victoria objects.

Tomorrow’s Wednesday race meeting is cancelled because Warwick Farm racecourse is within the Liverpool Council area.

Not overly surprised that the races have been called off, but just on this point:

Not only that, both Warwick Farm and Liverpool are next to each other!

1 Like

The cancellation is justified because according to SMH:

The annual Rose Parade in Pasadena, California, has been cancelled for next year.

The parade is shown on Seven on New Year’s Day of the following year (e.g. the 2019 parade was shown on January 1 this year).

First instance of a player applying saliva on the ball since new rules.

1 Like