COVID-19: Greater Sydney & NSW Re-Opens

Two things here.

1. Melbourne locking down postcodes didn’t work because the horse had bolted, we had incredibly poor contact tracing and essentially just didn’t have the surveillance to know what was going on (low test numbers etc).

2. NSW (and VIC now) have good testing, a good idea of where cases are originating from, a comprehensive list of exposure sites most of which are within those specific LGAs, they have identified sites of highest concern and locking those down without imposing that on citizens across the entire city.

Because it failed in the Melbourne second wave doesn’t mean it should never be tried again. We should always be looking to implement restrictions with the least amount of burden on the majority of the population.

I’m interested to see how Sydney plays out and whether it creates a case for localised lockdowns moving forward rather than smashing an entire state with a sledgehammer.

3 Likes

I reckon a city wide lockdown is pretty certain now.

3 Likes

I think Gladys would consider that if more cases pop up around other parts of Sydney such as Western Sydney.

Today’s media conference with Premier Gladys Berejiklian is @ 11am.

1 Like

For the better or the worse, I just cannot see Gladys putting all of Sydney into lockdown. It’s not her style, and I can’t ever see her adopting that approach.

I really feel for those in Sydney. The lack of transparency is probably really overwhelming. Victoria have been good with releasing their numbers at 9am. NSWs needs to probably do the same.

NSW has been pretty consistent since the pandemic began last year, releasing daily numbers at or just after 11am. It also gives more information then Victoria.

1 Like

Wasn’t always the case, came earlier after a period when it appeared Raf Epstein was the preferred leak recipient.

Such as?

Queensland has recorded no new local coronavirus cases overnight.

2 Likes

What? NSW have consistently released their daily data at the same time every day - it was 8am at the peak of the pandemic and then moved to 11am as case numbers dropped off where its remained since

Its a bit rich comparing any state to Victoria where the information was leaked every day for weeks

2 Likes

But the current arrangements are confusing and there are currently people who work in the lockdown areas but live in non lock down areas that can have up to 5 people visiting them. I know this is happening as people in my apartment building who work in a lockdown area have visitors from non lockdown areas in a non lockdown apartment building.

Therefore this lock down does nothing in stopping the spread through the metro area.

1 Like

Using yesterday’s figures as an example, NSW Health also reveals the breakdown of vaccines administered, the locally acquired cases reported after 8pm the previous night, and any new alerts of fragments of the virus that causes COVID-19 from the surveillance of sewage treatment plants around the state.

Mary Louise mclaws, Catherine Bennett, bill bowtell and The AMA all saying decisively that Gladys has it wrong this morning.

The stakes are high. It will be a huge achievement if Gladys is successful with this after defying so much advice, but if it fails, she will only have herself to blame.

So far I think this strategy has just vindicated the snap lockdowns in every other state, the whole ordeal would have been over by now if it was a 3 day lockdown last weekend.

1 Like

Absolutely. The ship sailed. If they told everyone to stop still for 5 days. Then all the cases would already have been in isolation.

At least 12 more cases til 8pm last night. 29 cases til 8pm and we knew about 17 cases so 12 more cases.

29 new cases in NSW.

OK, thought you were just referring to the dashboard.

I didn’t realise it was a consistent 11am release. Just seems like there are a lot of leaks and it would be frustrating.

Also I was talking about Victoria during its lockdown last year. Talking more recently that the case numbers were consistently published at 9am which, I found anyway, is easier for those with anxiety about the matter.

80 cases are now linked to the Bondi cluster and 20 of these cases are associated with the West Hoxton Park birthday party.

1 Like

Increased exposure sites not in lockdown/isolation.

Crisis cabinet meeting today to assess the advice. Perhaps more restrictions to come.

1 Like

Yep… time to go into a lockdown Sydney. The current government approach isn’t working. Sooner you go into a wider lockdown the quicker you can get back to normality.

5 Likes