COVID-19: Greater Sydney & NSW Re-Opens

Absolutely. I am resolving to only visit the supermarket once a week and I’m not even in Sydney. Admittedly I am single and quite frugal and don’t need as much stuff as most households. But difficult to mandate this as there will always be times when essential supplies are required at short notice. But for everyday items there’s no need to go more than once or twice a week.

As for bread and milk, there are cafes here that are doing that, and in Sydney there are many options without having to go to the major supermarkets. A bit more expensive to be sure but probably worth it at the moment.

3 Likes

Aldi need to get their shit together and implement home delivery. It would make such a difference too. Having 4 grocers home deliver would entice more to stay home.

Delivery is unnecessarly expensive from the major supermarkets. But you do make a good point. Gladys needs to increase restrictions immediately. Get rid of the confusion and lock down the full state with the same restrictions. Go hard and fast and get on with it.

2 Likes

Am guessing this refers to the parts of NSW that are still Covid free.

While the current statewide lockdown is totally justified due to the geographic spread and out of control leaking that was occurring, if we have some regions remain at zero over the next week or two, what public health justification is there for those regions to remain fully locked down? I can’t see why these regions couldn’t be released with say a 50km radius limit on travel to reduce the risk of leaking from another region.

1 Like

$4-$14 delivery isn’t that expensive but each to their own.

1 Like

Because it’s harder for the police. We need to get the rate down quickly. Opening up the regions isn’t going to help. The same restrictions on the LGAs of concern should be implemented state wide at least for the next two weeks. We cannot have over 600 cases a day it’s ridiculous. Get Scotty from Marketing to implement some proper restrictions and kick Glayds and the crisis cabinet out. Clearly they are incompetent and aren’t making the right decisions.

It was reported yesterday that the NSW govt isn’t as concerned about transmission in shopping centres or supermarkets - and have stopped publishing them as exposure sites.

2 Likes

It’s at this point I’d like to remind everyone that Cronulla is in the federal electorate who’s local member is our country’s Prime Minister.

Oh for heavens sake…

1 Like

This is the near future though. I’d imagine at 70 or 80% they would stop listing exposure sites. Might as well stop now. We are fucked til Xmas anyway.

1 Like

I think you just answered your own question.

Sorry?

Supermarket staff are woefully underprepared to deal with maskless customers. Can’t speak for independents but the big two (Coles and Woolworths) have no interest in turning away customers who don’t wear a mask. Disappointing that a company can turn over a multi-billion dollar profit yet is too cheap to hire security to protect their workforce.

4 Likes
1 Like

what about outdoors? from what i’ve seen & heard, the mask wearing is pretty bad.

Non Compliance will get worse this weekend. The forecast is for 24-25 on Saturday in Sydney. They’ll need to shut the beaches and promenades.

Not to mention the planned nut job freedom protest in Victoria Park.

5 Likes

I suggested that last week. Shutting the beaches and pathways near the beaches. Promenade is a much better word.

2 Likes

Not necessarily, there’s probably just as much police resourcing required to enforce a lockdown as there is a radius limit/intra-region travel limit (you would simply put checkpoints on highways and country roads between areas).

Keeping a Covid free region locked down isn’t going to help get cases any lower once it’s established there is no spread to that region (still too early to call though for this situation). You simply can’t get any lower than zero.

By all means, regions where there are still cases should remain in lockdown until they get to 7-14 days of zero community transmission.

Perhaps NZ is the answer. Give them notice 48hrs to get click and collects in order.

The state needs to sit at home for 2 weeks.

However regardless if that works, then we just go back to today’s result after a week or two.

1 Like

Two weeks isn’t going to be long enough to get the numbers in NSW down from 600+ to an acceptable number. We’re probably going to need at least two months.

1 Like

I just wonder if the right messaging is getting out given the below. Surely the better look (to get everyone on board with the message) would be to not have these situations currently?