COVID-19: Greater Sydney & NSW Re-Opens

Fury at ‘appalling’ NSW lockdown move:

1 Like

Tightening of restrictions for those unfortunate to be on the NSW/QLD border zone.

I think politicians need to balance health, economy and freedoms. Not an easy balance.

3 Likes

Well they clearly got the balance wrong this time for the worst case scenario.

4 Likes

Yet better than 95% of the world. Be thankful.

Consider that Australia has much higher standards than the rest of the world at dealing with this until we are vaccinated. You’re basically giving NSW credit even though they’ve ballsed up this big time. No way to defend that.

Don’t always try to compare Australia’s response to the likes of UK and US who’s only done well in vaccination but they all failed earlier on. Australia is a different country and you can’t even compare them. If your point is to justify no lockdowns because we’re still doing better than other countries then clearly you don’t know how things work here.

4 Likes

The effect of the NSW outbreak is painful on residents - but it’s shaken the false sense of security and a wait and see slow roll of the whole country - it has given vaccination the attention it needed, and has finally seen vaccination targets and a serious look at the post lockdowns era.

I don’t think NSW will now reach zero, I think they will reach a point where we accept zero is no longer an aim, because vaccination levels will have made it safer to do so. The restrictions right now just have to achieve damage limitation while the public can reach it.

The 70%/80% thresholds, and the chart showing when NSW can expect to hit them, gives far more hope of an end to rolling lockdowns than a chart that is still showing cases increasing after weeks of lockdown.

It’s just a fluke of timing rather than any good management - but at least their miserable failure has come at a time when the consequences have been significantly limited by the vaccination coverage.

I wish we could have learnt these lessons without NSW having to go through this - but the things NSW are going through aren’t for nothing - they - especially the people of NSW - should be given credit for now leading the nation in vaccination.

These are great charts. There’s hope ahead.

13 Likes

Warning: Do not play the drinking game based on Gladys Berejiklian talking about the Delta strain. You’ll die of alcohol poisoning.

Every country in the world was dealt the same blow with covid. Some countries have advantages (populations pre - disposed to mask wearing, government control, islands) some countries as disadvantages (in Italy and Spain they all live on top of each other in boxes) but ultimately it comes down to government policy. 200 countries have been hit with covid. Don’t know how you can say we can’t compre countries responses and outcomes. It’s not just the US/UK that Australia out performed. But practically the whole world. All
Of Europe. México, Canadá. Brasil, Latin America. Isreal, South Africa. UAE, India. And now south east Asia. Australia left everyone for dead. Unfortunately that lead to complacency with the vaccines and the advantage was squandered. But Australia’s absolute worst day or the pandemic is still better than the best days in most of the world

I recall reading quite a bit of analysis maybe 2-3 months ago that forecast Australia’s luck would almost certainly run out. The idea that there was never going to be a third wave….is not realistic. No doubt NSW moved too slow 7 weeks ago. That’s very obvious. A calculation was made and it was the wrong one. Things could have been better. They also could have been a hell of a lot worse.

The response should now be measured by not daily cases which does not even reflect Ill or sick people - but by daily vaccinations. That is where the focus thank god seems to be shifting. That’s what will save lives. Save heartache. Save jobs and bring forward normality.

The fact that 7 weeks into a very strict lockdown cases are still rising to me is evidence that controlling human behavior alone (lockdowns) will not end this. We need to control the science (vaccines)

4 Likes

Spot on honest analysis. The silver lining in This outbreak as that with covid now breathing down the neck of Australia’s most populous city and state as a very real threat - the public and our politicians have finally been jolted out of complacency. Which really had to happen. People are feeling the pressure and so are the leaders. In an emergency people are forced to act.

Mercifully the deaths are very low still as in fact over 50% of the age groups that account for the majority or the deaths have been vaccinated now.

There’s absolutely no doubt This outbtreak has lead to a dramatic rise in the speed of jabs. And that in turn will save lives and get Australia back to normal faster.

1 Like

Police outside Woolies as panic buying hits:
Live Breaking News: NSW and Victoria lockdown updates and Covid-19 case numbers

I truly believe the Qld government has been holding out for as long as possible and trying not to close the border bubble, but Gladys hasn’t been making it easy. Annastasia has offered to move the border to make life easier for the residents but like last year, Gladys isn’t interested in helping the people of the region.

Probably a good call not to have Brad Hazzard involved, but they should have Kerry Chant there. She’s been a trusted voice for NSW during the pandemic. She may be working behind the scenes, though.

1 Like

I have a feeling something might be brewing with Kerry Chant. It’s very strange she hasn’t been around for a few days.

2 Likes

Today is day five I believe.

1 Like

Sky News Political Editor Andrew Clennell says NSW Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant was pushing for tougher measures a fortnight ago but was rebuffed by Premier Berejiklian.

“Dr Chant has not been at press conferences for three days, she was instructed to take a couple of days off and rest,” Mr Clennell said.

1 Like

I would too if I had to work under Berejiklian and Hazzard. I feel for D Chant

2 Likes

From Insiders commentary this morning, apparently the NSW Police Minster hasn’t been allowed to attend the emergency cabinet meetings and has been asking for tighter rules weeks ago. But Gladys press secretary has been included in all meeting. Make what you will.

1 Like

Same. I hope she is ok. Toughest job in australia at the moment.

2 Likes