COVID-19: Discussion of Impact šŸ˜·

QLD Update: Double doughnut day. No local cases in community and no cases in HQ.

The Gold Coast family who travelled to Victoria have now tested negative.

The truck drivers from yesterday are now considered low risk. Have contract traced these and all are now in quarantine.

From next Monday another 680 hotel quarantine rooms will be available for interstate travellers.

1 Like

Annastacia Pałaszczuk apologised this morning for allowing this to happen.

1 Like

State governments have no power to stop this, and would largely not have the capacity to either force hotel or home quarantine on those arriving. The other factor is the international travel that is likely to be permitted in Stage 3 doesnā€™t involve open borders for unvaccinated foreign nationals.

Despite the media blustering and claiming otherwise itā€™ll likely be a similar situation to the NZ bubble where all states complied with no issues.

Looks like another vaccine swap has been negotiated - 4m Pfizer from the UK

1 Like

Morrison has said that the first of which will leave the UK this weekend

Youā€™d think an additional 4m doses in September is probably enough for the states to start thinking about changing hubs to a walk-in model for all ages, and for Morrisonā€™s letter to 60+ demanding they get AZ be made relatively redundant.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out, hopefully all states and territories + GPs have the ability to scale things up in a matter of the next week or two.

What are they swapping these doses for?

Swapping doses that arenā€™t getting used now and/or are otherwise surplus to requirements in return for Australia sending fresh doses next year when the booster program is in full swing. Australia has committed to 65m Pfizer doses in 2022 so we wonā€™t exactly be short of it.

2 Likes

I just hope its not another swap for December when boosters are going to begin to be required.

Some states (looking at you NSW) need to get their allocations out of Greater Sydney and into the regions - there needs to be some clarity around how the states are going to do the < 18ā€™s as this may have an impact on future hub requirements

The timing for booster shots hasnt been determined yet (at least for Australia, it goes to ATAGI soon) - itā€™s unlikely that weā€™ll start while there is still efforts to get everyone a first round done

3 Likes

I would strongly suspect that booster shots will be rolled out between March and May next year- this will be when the current vaccinations start to ā€˜wear outā€™ a bit for most after 6-8 months as well as the onset of winter and the increased risks from that.

1 Like

But we have seen how rapidly decisions and then actions can be made. In December a large portion of the front line workers (nurses) will have been vaccinated for 6 months. If the professionals are correct that means they will be required to get that booster then. If they donā€™t all this effort to get everyone vaccinated is compromised. Iā€™m sure they have enough doses. I just hope they donā€™t sell themselves short. I just donā€™t trust anything Morrison does

1 Like

Weā€™ve significantly backended our vaccine requirements (on the basis weā€™ll need boosters) - weā€™ll also have another vaccine (in Moderna) available too

1 Like

I agree about the timeline, but are we all going to need one booster shot or two? And how are we going to handle both the booster shot rollout AND the flu vaccine rollout which is expected to happen around the same time?

1 Like

i hope someone is researching the benefits to mixing up your vaccine brand for the booster.

or is the would going to tell everyone to get the same brand 3rd jab to follow israel? A 2 dose vaccine lasting only 6 months does not sound great. if it transpires that a 3rd dose just gives another 6 months its worth starting to examine other options.

2 Likes

There are studies that have shown mixing could be beneficial. I believe these were done in Germany

Of course this has turned into a big media event.

2 Likes

Looks like weā€™re in a race to vaccinate. :wink:

Late this afternoon Queensland Health confirmed a local case in Logan.

1 Like