COVID-19: Discussion of Impact 😷

Hopefully the Pfizer vaccines we’re getting from Poland aren’t the fake versions that are (or at least were a few months ago when this BBC story was published) circulating in that country:

They’re reportedly coming direct from the Pfizer factory in Belguim - they were part of Poland’s allocation, but because they’ve had issues getting people vaccinated they are surplus to requirements

4 Likes

Scomo said clearly they were on a plane from Warsaw via Dubai.

For anyone who’s interested, here’s a state-by-state breakdown of % who are fully vaccinated (i.e. both jabs).

TAS - 32.27%
ACT - 30.31%
NT - 30.28%
NSW - 26.92%
VIC - 25.84%
SA - 25.59%
QLD - 24.56%
WA - 22.86%

2 Likes

This is for over 16s. Yes?
Not the total population?

1 Like

Qld and WA are a concern

I’m not entirely sure - this data is from the Aust Govt Dept of Health website, and all it says is ‘Total’, doesn’t specify whether it’s over 16s.

1 Like

This is the percentage for total population. (includes under 16s)

2 Likes

1 Like

A question for those keeping their eye across the political field.

In your view, have any premiers been 100% perfect throughout the pandemic with next to no mistakes in their handling of it? If so, who and why?

Is the actual metric total population or total eligible? I’m seeing more reporting of it for over 16s in recent weeks. Given approx 20% of population are under 16 and won’t be eligible anytime soon it doesn’t make sense to include them in IMO.

Has anyone elses employers been giving incentives to staff for getting vaccinated? I was surprised to hear my sister say earlier in the week that she got a gift card from her work for getting vaccinated. Now my company have just announced the equivalent of $200 in our reward program for people getting vaccinated.

No premier and chief minister has been 100% perfect, but I think ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr has done the best job in handling the COVID pandemic. While Canberra had been fortunate that it did not have a lockdown for more than 14 months, when other states had lockdowns the ACT Government did not immediately order border closures.

4 Likes

QLD Update: Zero cases again for Queensland today.

Queensland will mandate that essential workers who enter the state via the border crossing will need to have at least one vaccination.

Lots of border problems. People who work in QLD but live in the Tweed are locked down by the NSW government. Discussion to allow them exemptions have not come to anything.

Ironside State School has reopened.

3 Likes

Darwin expected to head into lockdown, reports ABC.

Public servant here, my department is paying staff to attend appointments even those for whom vaccination is not mandated. The way the union is carrying on however suggests this is not the norm.

1 Like

As a South Australian, I’ve been extremely satisfied with how Marshall and SA Health have handled COVID. We haven’t suffered from extended lockdowns, our cases are low, and their quick responses to occasional local clusters with short “circuit breaker” lockdowns have been successful in quickly stopping the spread.

Our contact tracing system has probably been the most successful out of all of the states, if not it’s definitely up at the top (which is why I laughed so hard when Gladys said NSW contact tracing was the “gold standard”).

That being said, I despise the pedestal that the AFL has been placed on being granted special exemptions on capacity and travel, capacity at Adelaide Oval reached 100% just before the Modbury cluster while the rest of us still had restrictions on events.

3 Likes

3 day lockdown confirmed for Darwin and Katherine from 12pm local time (12.30pm AEST) today until midday Thursday. One new locally acquired case confirmed in Darwin: a man in his 30s, who had spent 14 day hotel quarantine in Sydney as an international arrival. He returned a negative COVID test on August 10, left hotel quarantine on August 12, and travelled to the NT for legitimate work purposes on the same day.

Gold standard hotel quarantine program.

Still no money put into their lack of ICU beds?