COVID-19: Discussion of Impact 😷

You might need to scare people. Get the special forces out on the streets with the big guns. Start ramping up the fines. Get the tanks at the borders. Police need full powers. Fines for not following social distancing.

Shut the beaches. If you put foot on it 10 grand and arrest.

Close the westfields.

Some countries put out rules for leaving a property. Once a day for each: exercise/dog walk, to/from work, and once daily for food trip.

Those full beaches won’t sit well with the Premier of Vic so I expect action in the very near future.

2 Likes

Intra-state travel between WA’s regions to close from Midnight Tuesday. https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-27/coronavirus-restrictions-announced-on-travel-across-wa/12096634

Genuinely surprised this type of action hasn’t been carried out in QLD yet.

1 Like

I’d imagine that WA are doing this because they have concerns about their ability to treat patients (especially in remote regions) on top of a desire to stop its transmission as much as possible. Where are the WA cases currently located?

3 Likes

Great news for three reasons.

Stop the spread in regional areas where facilities are inadequate to cope with an overwhelming number of cases. It’s hard enough treating a snake bite in some Wheatbelt towns.

Stop people from the metro area raiding regional towns for essential supplies by the bus load.

Stop the self entitled who think they can simply head down south to isolate.

I think about 30 are located in regional WA, across various regions. You’d be spot on though considering facilities in some areas would be unable to cope with a couple cases, let alone more.

1 Like

One of the other changes for Tasmania was a mandatory 14 day isolation period when travelling to King or Flinders Islands because they have very limited health facilities especially as Rex is about to pull out of King Island with their flights too.

So that means if you’re a resident of King Island you’ll spend 6 weeks in isolation before you’re allowed out - 2 weeks in Melbourne (or wherever you land), 2 weeks in mainland Tasmania as you’ve come from interstate and that initial period doesn’t count according to the Premier and then an additional 2 weeks when returning back to KI or FI.

One of the things that some people dont realise is that just because there is 2000-odd ICU beds across the country doesnt mean that they are available - many are occupied by people for non-Coronavirus related reasons and they require appropriate staffing to operate.

2 Likes

A taste of the new restrictions on the number of people who can attend funerals. This was taken at the funeral of the grandfather of Seven’s federal political reporter Olivia Leeming, as mentioned on The Latest tonight.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B-ObuayAFLI/

This is the reality of the new funeral restrictions. An incredibly difficult day for me and my family. 8 chairs only. No consoling allowed. If anyone else is farewelling a loved one during these challenging times, please know you are not alone. RIP Pop :heart:

2 Likes

I got same message from Optus on Wednesday night.

2 Likes

Australians are in a bubble because nothing really bad has happened here like this. I agree nothing wrong with the she’ll be right attitude but we all need to pay attention at the moment and change our ways for a few months.

7 Likes

Low life companies trying to profit from the pandemic.

1 Like

I agree. We are normally insulted from these things and people take our safety and security for granted. There’s a level of arrogance combined with ignorance in this country.

7 Likes

Scumbgs. :rage:

1 Like

Here we go…Myer is ceasing trading

1 Like

When is is shutting?

Sunday night. 4 weeks minimum. Considering that’s approaching the peak, might be some point in May.

ASX release few mins ago.

Will the other big stores follow? It’s fairly obvious they all will made to be at some point, so might as well show the lead.

Wow can prop up Bigw with its supers. Wesfarmers might be up the creek as they need Bunnings to stay afloat to fund the other closures

2 Likes

Bunnings is an essential store, I think. You can go without buying a new T-shirt for a few weeks. But if your toilet starts leaking you really need to be able to fix it.

6 Likes

50,000 jobs between K and T. 20,000 at Bigw. 10,000 Myer. 10000 at Djs

It’s going to hurt.

5 Likes

so what you are saying is that you can’t go to regional WA even if you own property that way.

I would say Bunnings and other hardware stores will be staying open. I believe they’re sales are up along with the supermarkets.

5 Likes