COVID-19: Discussion of Impact 😷

I’m guessing that there must be a lot of fatigue setting in. We are a good 10 months now into this so it’s going to get harder and harder to keep people “doing the right thing” the longer it goes on. It must feel like a “here we go again” type thing. Especially now that the national lockdown is over but people are facing ongoing tiered restrictions for the foreseeable future.

In Melbourne the lockdowns were closer together so I think more people took it seriously but also in general Australian’s overall do follow things pretty well. You’ll never get 100% compliance but it seems most Aussies did for the most part (even if it was to avoid fines and fear of a big police presence on the streets). Just compare our mask compliance in Melbourne compared to what you are seeing in USA and UK at the moment. I very very rarely saw anyone without a mask anywhere after they were mandated. Whereas you have a big chunk of the American population pretty anti-masks and I’ve seen a lot of images of busy shopping spots in the UK where a lot of people don’t have masks on.

2 Likes

Totally. An see that happening, and I am over it too, but at the end of the day if it helps to stop the spread and keeping me from getting it I’m happy to stay home and only go out for essentials and do the exercises I need in the back yard. I have actually found it refreshing staying away from the city centre and anywhere there is mad cows of people who re blantly disregarding the directive.

In the mean time I have been playing plague I’ve created a media spy virus. Wiped out America first. :grinning:

I think the biggest issue with the UK though is their testing as well. If you don’t have symptoms, so those who have returned from Overseas particularly, it costs nearly £150 to get a test done. We have got so much right here. You can’t blame the citizens for not giving a crap when your government doesn’t.

I think Australia has done pretty well.

Is that true? UK have one of the best healthcare systems in the world based on my understanding, the NHS cover a lot and their testing rates are amongst the best in the world as well far exceeding AU and even the USA by a decent margin.

50 posts were split to a new topic: COVID-19: Sydney Northern Beaches Outbreak

Today’s VIC numbers - the number of tests went up by 1500 from yesterday’s figures.

According to a friend who just returned to the uk from a trip in Europe it is. She was told it would cost £150 to get a test as she didn’t have symptoms.

@ryaneco here is an article for you to have a look at it yourself

As for the ‘best medical system in the world comment’ it is a great medical system. But when you have Boris wanting to do what Trump did Obama care there are always going to be some issues with the NHS and how much they are valued in the UK by their government.

And here is another article regarding the testing, it just doesn’t seem as available as it is here in Australia and there are options to pay if you don’t meet the criteria.

Tom Cruise got a little upset over alleged COVID-19 safety breaches by staff on the set of the latest Mission: Impossible motion picture.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.news.com.au/entertainment/movies/audio-of-furious-tom-cruise-tirade-on-mission-impossible-set-leaks-online/news-story/63885ff48a851defdced3831e473e7d4

Victoria’s latest numbers -

Great job Victoria!

Good to see no new hotel quarantine/overseas cases.

Overall, the US has around 170,000 new cases on Wednesday.

So so sad. I really hope China is punished for this. Look what they’ve done to the world. So many deaths and disaster. So sad.

3 Likes

China’s response wasn’t ideal but health experts have been suggesting solutions since the beginning of the year and the US and other countries have ignored that health advice. They need to take accountability for their response not China.

1 Like

If it wasn’t for China, there’d be no virus. I hear what you’re saying but we can’t ignore the fact it happened and it’s chinas fault.

A pandemic is a pandemic. Sometimes these things happened. Just like the Spanish flu. These things happen. It isn’t the first and won’t be the last. Are we punishing Mexico for the swine flu? In the US it killed 12,000 people. And globally it killed 500,000 people. When WHO declares a pandemic you have to follow the health advice. If you don’t then that government should be responsible not where it originated.

2 Likes

Sadly we can’t be surprised when the NSW premier herself blatantly ignored that health advice (to isolate until receiving a negative test result).

Don’t listen to conspiracy nonsense; China, like so many dictatorships in history, has been secretive to try and minimise their embarrassment at the virus appearing in Wuhan and to hide whatever mistakes they made, but to say the virus wouldn’t exist is ridiculous.

As @turdall said the response to the pandemic is what really matters, and although mistakes will inevitably happen from time to time, learning from what happens and following health advice is what’s needed instead of ignoring it (and pretending the virus will magically disappear).

3 Likes

UPDATE: Victorian Housing Minister Richard Wynne said “we make no apology for saving people’s lives”, but acknowledged the distress the move caused.

2 Likes

No offence David, but this sounds like something Trump would tweet. And you can hear it in his voice too.

4 Likes

Well it’s true, isn’t it?

Someone has to take blame. It’s been heavily noted the virus came from there AND they hid it from the world.

Pretty simple to me.

1 Like