COVID-19: Discussion of Impact 😷

Calm down. Im having a mild vent on the back of the announcement.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, I feel like WA is going to be very set back as a state from this announcement today.

1 Like

It was just clarified that once the opening date is announced (at 80%) if 90% isn’t reached by that date then opening would still happen but with restrictions.

Why is the vaccine mandate deadlines so far into the future in WA? The decision has been made to have mandates, why drag it out so long?

Vic and NSW had a massive vaccinating week in the lead up to their deadlines, WA would too. people respond to deadlines, perhaps even more so in WA where there isn’t any other reason for urgency without a lockdown or outbreak to incentivise people.

1 Like

I really don’t know… clearly it’s political .

WAs health system should be able to cope with 80%? If not, then that’s a major concern.

The roadmap is a big blow for a number of WA regions like Broome, which probably won’t be able to receive tourists from NSW and Victoria during the upcoming summer school holiday.

The effects on sporting competitions are worth discussing in the relevant thread.

Vaccination rates in the north west are well below where they need to be. Some are only at 25%. Letting COVID get up there would be a disaster.

Unless anything changes I see Perth and the south west opening as planned but the north west will remain isolated. There is a huge vulnerable population up there and the Police Commissioner said he is very concerned about that region.

1 Like

What’s happing with interstate summer sports? Big Bash / Ashes / Tennis / Soccer etc?

I’m assuming these events are now being re-directed to other states?

While saying they aren’t a priority both the Premier and Commissioner said WA has been able to host sport throughout the pandemic without much trouble. So nothing to say they could go ahead but nothing to say they won’t either.

I genuinely don’t think WA will hit 90%, the dose rates are so slow and have already dropped before they’ve even hit 80%.

Really feel for separated families etc.

WA will definitely be left behind with that plan, say good bye to summer sport too.

I guess it doesn’t matter. They have made a commitment to a date whether 90% is hit or not.

They can’t have it both ways. Mark McGowan is an idiot. He should open the state now. Not into the future .

WA hosted AFL matches all year including the grand final. Other events were held without issue as well.

WA isn’t ready yet - especially the remote regions. Anyone who says open now is just being selfish.

People wanted a plan. Now they have one and it follows everything that has been said so far. Nothing from today’s announcement is a surprise.

Not when the vaccination rate is one of the lowest in the country.

Having said that, unless if WA does a major vaccination drive like NSW and Victoria (without any outbreaks) it will be quite a while before they get to 90%. It’s to be safe I understand but they’ll need to do something to get there quickly otherwise they’ll be left further behind compared to the rest of the country.

I think they need to go all out and open vaccination hubs across the whole state in addition to the ones they have right now, do lotteries and more to get people vaccinated. Many in WA are probably thinking it’s not too urgent to get it because they’re safe but this is literally their best chance to be armed and ready for reopening so they’re going to need a push along for this.

1 Like

I agree. They are not giving people in WA the motivation to go and get it which is the reason their vaccination rates are much lower than anywhere else. 90% is also definitely going to be a hard push in states that have not had a major outbreak.

What also doesn’t make sense in this whole plan is that we are now at the peak few months of vaccine effectiveness. By the time that WA open up a lot of peoples protection will be slightly lower and they will be requiring booster shots already. It doesn’t make sense.

I assume this also means that if even just a case pops up in WA between now and Feb it could lead to a lockdown. There is a far greater chance of that happening as the rest of Australia opens and there is more COVID in the country, so it’s likely to happen at some point.

I know that there has been strong support in WA for Mark’s stance up until now but I suspect a lot of that support will begin to dwindle as they see the other states moving on, people travelling overseas etc. Mark could definitely be doing a lot more to speed up this rollout if he wanted too.

1 Like

I admit I want to come home from the Uk , asap so I’m not denying with that comment that I’m selfish to want to come home but I haven’t got any compassionate grounds to do so. However Mark McGowan is being selfish in keeping the state locked down further. They have been without a covid case for a long time not and he’s taking away peoples right to visit W.A and people from W.A to travel interstate for pure selfish reasons. Not thinking of thr country but thinking of his own gratification for the need to dictate other states and to keep wa under cotton wool and baby like prison.

2 Likes

There would be no need for a lock down if he had an actual plan that makes sense. This does not make sense for the state or my people. Only for his gratification.

1 Like

I’m in the US and I want to visit my family in WA too. I haven’t seen them for almost 4 years. But I wouldn’t have people die just so I can visit. No thanks. A few more months is fine.

We chose to be in other countries. This is what happens during a pandemic.

True I can’t argue with that but im
Sure I will be home soon enough . Anyway thanks for the spirited discussion im glad you could hear my side of things.

1 Like