COVID-19: Australian Open Saga 🎾

The Vics have responded to Djokovic’s list of demands:

Right response.

As for said demands:

He can piss off if he doesn’t like it. He’s lucky he gets to travel around the world playing sport.

9 Likes

As someone who doesn’t understand tennis, I am proud of my state government’s strategy to hold weathy, entitled Europeans hostage.

7 Likes

I say, if they whine about the so called “struggle”, they get sent on the next flight back to whatever side of the planet they came from.

2 Likes

The standards are totally messed up.

If you live in the LGAs of Blacktown, Canada Bay, Burwood, Canterbury-Bankstown, Cumberland, Fairfield, Inner West, Liverpool, Paramatta or Strathfield (the combined population of all these would have to be well over a million), you can’t enter Victoria.

But if you’re a wealthy tennis player participating in the Australian Open, even from a country where the virus situation is probably a thousand times worse than any of the above mentioned Sydney metropolitan LGAs, then welcome!

9 Likes

A couple of the players keeping the television on ABC News channel.

Source: ABC News

3 Likes

Money talks.

4 Likes

An “Australian official”.

5 Likes

CBS News didn’t know the exact occupation of Daniel Andrews. It is a rough equivalent of governor of a US state or premier of a Canadian province.

1 Like

That’s how I’ve seen him introduced in various reports from the US in the past year.

Wonderful thing called research. 60 seconds tops.

6 Likes

So the strict 14 days quarantine that the Victorian government stated for these affected travellers may not actually be 14 days if they are let out early. Has anyone else been let out early?

https://amp.theguardian.com/australia-news/live/2021/jan/19/coronavirus-australia-live

2 Likes

3 Victorian cases in hotel quarantine linked to Australian Open.

2 Likes

Would people in the US really understand what a premier is? Government official is probably the easiest thing for those overseas to identify him as.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Do we refer to their state governors as “Government officials”? Just say “Victorian premier” and be done with it.

Just shows how ignorant the Yanks are.

6 Likes

Yanks would know what a premier is, but to avoid confusion you could just say ‘Victorian leader’ or something like that.

2 Likes

It’s 2021. Anyone that didn’t know (& wanted to know) what a state premier was could do a quick Internet search from their phone.

2 Likes

They are… But at least the broadcasters know their market. They wouldn’t even know what Victoria was and most would probably start thinking of Canada rather than Australia. I remember there being a survey in the US about what the capital of Australia was and I don’t think many got it.

5 Likes

It’s not really surprising. What’s the capital city of Canada or New Zealand? I’d put my money on at least 50% of Aussies not knowing.

4 Likes

To be fair I don’t even know the capital of Canada, I did know the capital of NZ (Wellington) but only because I have been there.

1 Like