Corporate

2 Likes

Thank god! Will be a lot of relieved staff. Will anyone past or present staff now feel safe enough to file civil action now?

1 Like

This new structure comes into effect from today (Monday 1st August).

1 Like
2 Likes

Mmmm, wonder what Venessa can do to monetise the lemon that is CADA?

2 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

The role will see Fiona lead the strategy and execution of the News function for ARN across both Metro and Regional markets, in line with the overall content strategy.

4 Likes
2 Likes

…that could include Southern Cross Media in the deal.

If that were to happen, then we can expect plenty of commercial radio stations, both metro & regional, to be divested due to the number of voices rule, as well as of course the two-station rule if ARN & SCA merge.

2 Likes

You would see the Gold Coast SCA duo likely ended. Hot Tomato share and revenue far better than their least performing.

This is why Rhys, Guy & Nick are waiting in the wings, proving their ability to keep Mix/Sea SC ticking over as they are ready to acquire what is divested.

Hopefully they can outbid Craig for SEN on FM.

Imagine SEN on 4RO and 4CC due to ARN/SCA acquisition by SWM.

4 Likes

Thinking further about the above proposal re a potential merger between Seven, ARN & SCA, it is possible that they’re hinting that the Federal Labor Government may change the ownership limit for metro markets, where an owner can own up to 4 radio stations in a single metro market.

For regional markets, I would think that the number of stations per owner will remain at 2.

4 Likes

Agree, yet CRA’s cabal will all cry poor despite radio the most resilient long established medium, it’s growing ad share.

2 Likes

No reason for SWM to invest in SCA except for the TV assets.

Is there any company that HT&E/APN hasn’t been rumoured to be merging with at some stage?

2 Likes

I’m a little surprised that News havent - they’re already a significant shareholder - and do something similar to what News did in the UK with the Wireless Group

3 Likes

This might be a good time to review media ownership laws in Australia particularly the two stations per market rule. This has resulted in duplicated formats, and a very stale radio market.

I think 3-4 stations per owner in metro markets sound about right. This would allow for greater choice of formats.

Kyle would have quite a bit to say if 2day fm was to come under the ownership of ARN, and if the bosses of SCA were to be on the board of the new merged company.

Also it maybe beneficial to merge some licence areas, Brisbane, and Ipswich, and Wollongong and Nowra come to mind. This would be extremely beneficial in Brisbane as ARN can then move River fm to Mt Coo-tha, and make it their Pure Gold station.

If the rules don’t change what stations will ARN Sacrifice, would they give up WS fm for Triple M ?

The real reason this is happening is SCA want to get out of TV, but 7 won’t be able to buy the TV assets as they own Prime. The only buyer can be Paramount 10, and 9 will end up owning WIN.

I cannot see this proposal proceeding without a change to the current media laws in relation to radio ownership. If it was to go ahead, there would be radio fire sales everywhere, potentially new entrants coming into the market, not what CRA and its members want.

3 Likes

If both companies were bought, maybe we’ll see a stronger KIIS Network with a merger of some of the metro Hits maybe in a network consisting of KIIS 1065, Fox FM, Mix102.3, B105, Mix94.5, and also keeping the Pure Gold Network as is with an addition of 96FM, and selling off the the remains of Hit and MMM, and remains of the former KIIS stations.

2 Likes

I agree. 3 - 4 stations per metro market will result in more variety of formats and less duplication.

I also think the Brisbane and Ipswich markets need to merge.

3 Likes

As happens in NZ.

Agree!

Would solve the glaring shortfall of stations in Brisbane. Population/licence ratio is abysmal in Bris.

3 Likes

In NZ two companies own all commercial radio station,
Mediaworks, and NZME.

1 Like