COVID-19: Discussion of Impact 😷

Not sure about Kayo seeing an uptick in subscribers given that most/all sporting events will be cancelled…that has already happened with cricket so I won’t be watching. Will suspend my subscription once/if these last two ODI matches are played. I think it’s inevitable that both the AFL and NRL seasons will be suspended, perhaps cancelled altogether depending on the severity and duration of the outbreak. A truncated competition resuming in say June/July is still possible.

I agree with Netflix and the others- but if the lockdown is for months then eventually people will run out of content here, too. Hollywood is also suspending its operations so there will be a big dearth of new content in the months ahead.

But really- couldn’t give a stuff about entertainment so long as the outbreak isn’t too severe. Need to adopt the old ‘stiff upper lip’ attitude.

3 Likes

NZ consequences

2 Likes

This new travel restrictions will have huge ramifications for the NRL, Super Rugby and A-League, all of which have NZ-based teams. Will they have to play their matches away from NZ?

3 Likes

The Blues in Super Rugby completed their match against the Lions which is the last event staged in NZ

1 Like

He has been in close contact with someone who has it. Depends how much time he spent with Peter Dutton and how long they spent up close and personal.

1 Like

What will happen with Entertainment Shows make in the UK especially The Graham Norton Show?

This is the us

So the uk will be the same I would say.

1 Like

you’d hope so

The two remaining matches of the AUS-NZ ODI series, as well as the T20 tour to NZ, have been cancelled as a result of the virtual travel ban:

Have just cancelled my Kayo subscription as a result :smiley: I think it will be some months before international cricket resumes. I think this will spell the end of Super Rugby and the NRL as well.

For those in need of a cricket fix, this channel will have to do. He has uploaded extended highlights of Australia’s tour to the West Indies in 1995, among other things.

Interesting to see whether the remaining Sheffield Shield matches go ahead. Those don’t attract a crowd of 500 anyway…

2 Likes

New Zealand has cancelled a memorial for the first anniversary of the Christchurch attacks due to COVID-19 fears.

1 Like

Here in Queensland, the Supernova convention went ahead today.

No juries in Victoria from Monday.

3 Likes

It is better than Hong Kong where most existing and new criminal trials have been suspended since late January due to coronavirus. However emergency court hearings with a magistrate can still proceed. For a small number of civil trials, verdicts are being handed down via electronic means like PDFs.

This tweet has been doing the rounds. It encourages everyone in the country to “Have minimal contact with other people” and “Cancel all unnecessary things”.

This is the graph referred to

2 Likes
1 Like

The ACT Brumbies and NSW Waratahs will play what could be the last game of the year when they meet at Canberra Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

Super Rugby bosses announced their decision at 10.45pm on Saturday night, saying they were disappointed but adamant it was the only way to deal with the ongoing coronavirus crisis.

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern effectively shut the country’s borders by introducing travel restrictions.

The Brumbies and the Canberra Raiders were duo to play a Super Rugby-NRL doubleheader in Auckland next weekend. That has now been cancelled.

This is probably confirmed somewhere but just from seeing the PSL and Indian super league on fox sports, it looks like both are now playing without crowds.

1 Like
2 Likes

This is really useful info, whilst Australia currently has 218 active cases, the worrying trend is the 49 new cases in the last 24 hours, though the good news is that only ONE is listed as serious/critical.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

2 Likes
1 Like

In Melbourne, Cirque du Soleil’s Kurios at Flemington Racecourse had to postpone the season premiere until April, while musical Come from Away will finish its first Australian season after tonight’s performance (it was supposed to close on March 21). It must be said that the season was supposed to end back in February but, due to popular demand, was extended three times.

1 Like