Community Television

I thought they are now allowed on air till the Government finds another use for the spectrum?

1 Like

Yep, this is just executing that intention in the regulations.

1 Like

C31 and 44 Adelaide could use the VHF10 frequency instead of the present UHF32, that is a throwback to when these stations transmitted on UHF31 in the analogue era. Most new antenna installations in the Melbourne and Adelaide areas are VHF only and are not capable of receiving these stations at the moment. It makes sense for this to happen.

Think VHF10 was reserved for high power services, not lower power community services.

C31 and 44 are full poweredā€¦

Not according to the Television Licence Area Plan

You will note the 6 VHF slots have 50kW ERP from their main TX site whereas community TV on UHF32 is only 15kW ERP from the main site. Being such lower power limits their service for only 1 X SD service, as a fair chunk of the ASI DVBT stream is contained with null packets to allow for very aggressive forward error correction to enable reception in an area comparable to the high power VHF services.

Itā€™s not low powered though, it may be less so than the commercials, but is generally receivable most places.

1 Like

Agreed.

Itā€™s a licence condition that prohibits C31 and C44 from broadcasting anything but 1x 576i stream.

1 Like

Youā€™d think they could run a HD simulcast now.

How do U watch channel 31 if you donā€™t have an antenna cord can you watch it on a app?

2 Likes

Yes - CTV+ App

1 Like

Not on smart TV Apps though.

2 Likes

Access 31 Weather Update and Fuel Watch

YouTube: Forgotten Memories

2 Likes

6 watts ERP from Como in Melbourneā€™s South Yarra. Barely gets a kilometre. Especially as that site now has taller buildings around it.

When I lived in Hawthorn 30 years ago I got my TV from the Como translators, and I could receive C31 transmitting from there (this was analogue days).

That would have been via UHF channel 64.

1 Like

that is correct

1 Like

Iā€™m talking about Mt Dandenong

Obviously. Just pointing out the ridiculously small power its translator runs.