Community Radio

Fair points, all of them. Thinking about it, the GC does well with community stations too, a wide range all of which service the entire Gold Coast. 4CRB is probably the most ‘community’ of them, but you’ve also got something for the kids (Radio Metro), the Christian station in Juice, as well as the quasi-commercial 94.1

The sure have enough Christian stations as well as Juice the C in 4CRB stands for Christian.

Same as Canberra and Gosford, they each have 4 community radio stations.

Even Brisbane and Adelaide only get 4 community stations on FM (BNE gets a 5th on AM and both get several suburban ones).

However, Newcastle and Wollongong make do with just 2.
(Edit: 3 for Newcastle if you include 2RPH).

Wollongong used to have a 3rd community station- a Greek broadcaster called Radio Symban- on 93.3 MHz, but this licence was cancelled. It may have been operating under a HPON licence, though? 93.3 has been set aside for 2RPH in the revised Wollongong Licence Area Plan (LAP), but this has yet to make it to air.

Surprising that 2RPH isn’t on air yet down there.

Here in Newcastle, the only local program is a 90 min reading of “The Newcastle Herald” at 10am weekdays.

1 Like

I wouldn’t bother including 2XX in the list. The audio quality is the worst I’ve ever heard.
To me it’s unlistenable. Which is a shame, because the few times I have listened to it, they had some good music.

Dwayne Jeffries is the new CEO for Brisbane’s 96five. Jeffries was most recently the content director for Hope 103.2
http://christianmedia.org.au/new-ceo-for-brisbane/

Very interesting, because ACMA put the brakes on Hope 103.2 having some sort of control over 96five, and Jeffries was involved in the collaboration.
http://forums.mediaspy.org/t/community-radio/510/83

1 Like

so the new CEO will be working for both hope and 96.5. i bet the ACMA will be watching this real closely.

No, he is leaving Hope.

the linked article said that Thankfully, the team at Hope Media won’t be saying goodbye to Dwayne. As he will also continue his role as Co-Mission Content Director for both Hope Media and 96five, Dwyane will regularly visit the Sydney team from his new Brisbane base

2 Likes

Thanks! I didn’t read it properly.

Dwayne will be living in Brisbane but also group PD. Hope 103.2 will most likely appoint a PD from within of good quality.

So long as 96.5 welcomes new members and their involvement, they should meet ACMA obligations. Remember, 96.5 ran themselves into trouble due to very poor decision making and needed the support offered by Hope. 96.5 went begging. ACMA has agreed to this with conditions.

Anyone know who the well was presenting on Eastside 89.7 FM’s Nighshift last night? He was playing a Blink 182 song and evidently was having a mental breakdown and trying to induce one in others by playing multiple things at once. Kept asking people to call in (which no one did)

Here’s the program http://lrm-store-eastsideondemand-production.storage.googleapis.com/17-01-12_030_Nightshift_-_Wednesday.mp3 from 79 minutes in.

I hope he gets some attention and is ok.

1 Like

A rugby union player being interviewed right now on Radio Northern Beaches (Sydney) just dropped the F-bomb …

Obviously, they don’t use a 7 second delay or anything… they probably don’t have the resources to do that.

Brisvegas members might be aware of this?

Watch the papers & possibly the TV, there’s a big shit fight going on at BAYFM (Redlands) with some serious accusations flowing between parties.

The Qld. labor & LNP are involved, the Redlands council is involved, & apparently the Qld Fair Trading & Corruption Commission are involved.

From what I hear the station has had bank accounts frozen & the station & Inc may be wound up & out of business by the end of next week?

Brutal.

Any guesses as to if ACMA would reissue the license?

The local paper has been running stories since October on problems at the station. According to one report the bank accounts were frozen by the President when his membership at the time of election was questioned by the recently elected committee members. This followed police being called to have him removed from the premises.

I found this story on line

Bay FM carries the John Laws show and can easily be heard throughout Brisbane.

If you listen from the start of the Podcast…it starts much earlier. At about 10 minutes in he announces for the next “hour” he is going to play a remix of a song featuring YouTube clips. He manages to get a phone caller - and they start having random banter, that sounds more like a conversation an inebriated person would be having - and they even drop the f-bomb.

In the introduction he says his name is Liam. The latest podcast of that shift has him with another person doing similar things…so guess station management hasn’t caught onto this.

1 Like

The sound quality on JOY’s OB right now is shocking,

Anyone know if they are on the CRN or if it’s over 4G???

1 Like

If not 4G, could be a Tieline (or even ISDN, but I doubt it)