Community Radio

Maybe all that overmodulation finally cooked it :grin:

It doesnt get over Bathurst to me at home anyway.

3 Likes

I have been a community radio presenter on 101FM Logan for 33 years

4 Likes

And power out at the Radio Northern Beaches studios at Terrey Hills, with open carriers noted on 88.7 & 90.3MHz FM.

1 Like

This afternoon, Rhema 94.9 Central Coast had no RDS and was mono only.

Possibly weather affected there too.

2 Likes

Sounds like EMG programming coming from the TX site

2 Likes

Iā€™ve just looked at Radio Eastsideā€™s facebook website & it says:-
Heavy weather has knocked out both of Eastside Radioā€™s Transmitters at Waverley. Weā€™re sent them off for repair ASAP and are doing our best to source a standby replacement. In the meantime the best way to listen to Eastside Radio is streaming via the website [eastsidefm.org] or on the app. Thanks for your patienceā€¦

1 Like

Rsdio Northern Beaches have just come back on air on FM in the last hour or so.

2 Likes

Hows this work? Is it because they are old stations before the commercial players came on air?

Donā€™t know about Light FM, but 2CH was on the air for 47 years before 2CBA-FM (the station which evolved into what is now Hope 103.2) came onto the scene!

1 Like

I know ā€¦ old in respect to FM radio stationsā€¦ they were there when no one listen to FM and it was an ā€œexperimentā€ā€¦ so given their legacy they bend the rules of community radio.

Donā€™t know how long itā€™s been like this for, but it looks like Hope 103.2 are not simulcasting Nine News at 6 anymore. Wonder if itā€™s something to do with Nine News branding now being used on 2GB and 2UE?

2 Likes

Probably the end of last year?

Iā€™d say that (along with Hope launching their own radio news service to replace the services previously used by Macquarie and 2UE before that) is EXACTLY the reason why Hope 103.2 is no longer simulcasting the audio of Nine News.

Wonder if Nine will eventually run a 6pm bulletin simulcast on either 2GB or 2UE?

4 Likes

Listening to Mike Jeffries on Hawksbury Gold 89.9 FM.
Not sure why he is keeping his microphone on during the song periods,
frequent throat clearing & other noises/chat heard from Mike.
Surely Mike knows to switch off the microphone when not speaking having been a broadcaster for decades, unless thereā€™s a fault at stationā€¦?

UPDATE: After a long long while ~9.40am ish Mike woke up & remembered(?) to turn the microphone off during songs/news etc. Maybe in his previous job he had a panel operator who did all that for him? Or maybe he missed his morning coffee? Senior moments?

2 Likes

Iā€™m currently up at the TXA Kurrajong Heights site doing some scheduled work, & the Hawksbury Radio guys have just come down from the neighbour site & told us theyā€™ve had both their TXā€™s damaged in last nights storm, all power is out at that site & strong electrical burning smell in the hut.

Theyā€™ve taken their TXā€™s away for repairs, but said they mightnā€™t be on air this week, when itā€™s their turn?

5 Likes

Friday to Sunday I think.

I guess they could ask one of the other frequency users if they could use their transmitter?

Hawkesbury Radio is on from 00:00 Thursday to 11:59 Saturday. Iā€™ve been up to that site many times in the past when I was at ā€œThe Hawkā€ for 15 years and helped out during an install once.

1 Like

Highly unlikely to happen, given that two of the other aspirant stations have people who are disgruntled ex-Hawkesbury Radio members on their teams.

Who ever is supposed to be on today isnt. I think its DB64-FMs day though.

@RFBurns make sure that DTV tx doesnt go off air, Ill be in trouble at home if MAFS isnt received

2 Likes

Given the frequency of high intensity storms and fires in recent summers, it might be worth investing in a small backup tx, which can be on the roof of the studio for example. This is what 2EAR have been forced to do. Iā€™m not sure what insurance products cover community radio stations for loss/severe damage of essential equipment?

1 Like