Community Radio

I wonder how much longer it will be before the ACMA make a decision on awarding a permanent license for 89.9 again?

I heard on the grapevine that in be sooner than last time but thatā€™s just roomers. Its all getting a bit complex of late in my opinion with alot of politics which takes away from the fun of doing community radio, but see how it goes.

2 Likes

Thanks, I hope your station goes well.

1 Like

im involved in a commuinty radio station where i live here here in ballarat

3 Likes

I was many years ago at aspirant broadcaster Hitz FM in Melbourne

3 Likes

Glad you enjoyed it! Most formats are pretty well covered around here (at least they were when we launched our current format nearly a decade ago) so we just try to play pretty much everything thatā€™s been vaguely popular over the last 50 years. Most songs wonā€™t get played again for a week, potentially weeks! Makes a good break from the repetitiveness of the Melbourne commercials (and the lack of local commercials clearly receivable south of Leongatha).

5 Likes

Iā€™ve done some stuff with switch 1197 years ago. iā€™d love to do more but life and kids prohibit it

2 Likes

Three songs that I noted were Marie Wilson- Next Time, Jane Child- Donā€™t Wanna Fall In Love and Calloway- I Wanna Be Rich. The former two I havenā€™t heard outside of Mechieā€™s show, at least since the 90s. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever heard the latter on Australian radio.

Might have to tune in again to see what other gems you can dig up. The stream sounds a lot better now; I think it was very low bitrate before which turned me off.

Currently listening and Lisa Edwards- Cry is playing. What a great forgotten song from the early 90s.

3 Likes

I am a bit of a newbie, jumping into Community Radio in September 2019 coming from a DJ-ing & live sounds / electronics & IT background, have since been attempting to give 2WYR 92.5 a new lease on life jumping on the board and stirring things up :stuck_out_tongue:

Since then we have a lot less dust, a decent sound, run our first OB in many years on Australia Day, new equipment and executed a youth presenter training day a few weeks ago to discover, teach and encourage some new talent onto the airwaves :Dā€¦amazingly with 6 of the 8 kids keen to come back and present again :smiley:

3 Likes

For my own part, I have never joined a community station full time, mostly due to inertia/laziness. I have appeared on the Mechie Show plenty of times as some would know. Until recently my music knowledge wasnā€™t sufficiently broad to present a quality program. With my move to Bungendore later this year I hope to get involved with 2BRW FM Braidwood (88.9). They are actively looking for presenters and did a great job covering the recent bushfires. A station on the up, particularly with the recent frequency change and power increase.

4 Likes

Yep, we have an ā€œexperimentalā€ (more like temperamental) Icecast server set up here:

http://listen.3mfm.com.au:89/stream

which is much higher, and I think the proper stream has been bumped up a bit. The old one was pretty much unlistenable to me, but hosting it offsite wasnā€™t our top priority for a long time, so we just kinda ignored it until I got more involved in the off-air stuff (Iā€™m still mostly in production & presenting).

I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever heard the latter on Australian radio.

There are quite a lot of songs we play that Iā€™ve never heard on Australian radio, most are okay, but some of them, particularly the stuff from about 1995 onwards, usually should stay that way.

Jane Child- Donā€™t Wanna Fall In Love

Iā€™ve heard it on smooth a fair bit over the past few years - I believe it still gets regular airplay in the US/UK.

Currently listening and Lisa Edwards - Cry is playing. What a great forgotten song from the early 90s.

And what did Arthur Stevens have to say about a song that was never played on the former Magic 693 :laughing:

1 Like

I was half keen back in my uni days, but an email or two to my local community stations never even amounted to any reply, so I never pursued it further.

Now in Brisbane, other than the broadcasters based outside the metro area there are very few here at all, aside from the massive professional players like 4ZZZ, so Iā€™ve never really considered it since my big move. One curse of being in one huge LGA like Brisbane is that there are no local stations on the air to service local communities, like there are in Sydney and Melbourne.

3 Likes

Yes, Bris/Adel/Per all only have 3 or 4 suburban community stations each compared to the 15 or so that Syd/Melb each have, but they are not 4 times as big.

Like you say, LGAs are probably the historical reason for this, also in Brisbane the FM band is very congested there now, thereā€™s not much room leftā€¦ you might be able to squeeze some low powered ones in adjacent to Gold Coast stations on say 88.3, 89.9, 91.5 ā€¦ 99.9 is another oneā€¦

Always wondered why Ipswich has never had a community radio stationā€¦

1 Like

Looks like smart speakers are to blame for this one.
https://radioinfo.com.au/news/fine-music-1025-rebrands-fine-music-sydney

1 Like

Iā€™ve been listening to Territory FM (8TOP) the past couple of afternoons. This is how a commercial radio station should soundā€¦ donā€™t know how they get away with it. A great rock skewed music mix with plenty of unflogged songs. Iā€™d imagine this is how FM104 sounded back in the day.

4 Likes

Listeners are probably still likely to ask for ā€œFine Musicā€ and get South Africa anyway.

Changing the 102.5 to Sydney wonā€™t stop that from happening.

If they really wanted to fix the streaming issue, they should go back to being 2MBS.

3 Likes

2BACR 100.9 Bankstown is currently off air.

2 Likes

Given the current weather conditions in Sydney, Iā€™m not surprised.

1 Like

Lots of power outages starting to appear on the Ausgrid map. There is a minor outage around Yagoona/Potts Hill but nothing else around Bankstown. Large areas blacked out on the upper North Shore and on the Central Coast.

From memory 2BACRā€™s antenna is located at Yagoona.

Also I heard 104.5 Star FM Gosford go off air for 7-10 seconds this morning, so maybe on backup power?

1 Like