Community Radio

Labor has promised to restore funding for digital community radio

ALP policy in brief:

Our plan

A Shorten Labor Government will restore $5.6 million over the forward estimates ($1.4 per annum) in much-needed funding to community radio.

The funding is for digital platform and infrastructure costs including data connectivity, linking, multiplexing and transmission.

This will ensure the continued delivery of community digital radio services in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth.

https://twitter.com/AlboMP/status/738275663921090560

As have the greens

2 Likes

102.7fm Toowoomba isnā€™t the only community radio station to have racing coverage, 2REM 107.3fm in Albury carries the National Racing Service from 11am to 5pm Tuesday to Saturday.

Thatā€™s an awful lot of racing for a community station!

I honestly donā€™t think that fits the charter of community radio.

Iā€™d prefer to see them to take Community Radio Network programming than racing.

1 Like

It was also be somewhat redundant if thereā€™s already a narrowcast racing station in town.

There is supposed to be ā€¦ SKY Sports Radio on 99.3 FM

Mustnā€™t be on air.

OR

That 2REM are taking the Victorian RSN stationā€™s racing programme.

and in Toowoomba thereā€™s a narrowcast racing station (RadioTAB) on 93.7 FM. Why would 4DDB and 2REM still carry racing anyway when there are narrowcast stations (and for those out of range you can listen to them online).

Theyā€™re taking NRS from Sky. RSN is also on 99.3fm in Wangaratta, which I think itā€™s just in 2REMā€™s license area

I recall reading once in the Border Mail that 2REM retains horse racing coverage in order to cover parts of the license area not covered by 99.3 from Albury or Wangaratta (which are both very low powered at 10 watts). Driving around, 99.3 in Albury struggles into some parts of the city, such as Thurgoona.

How did it go?

The open day went better than expected, it slowed down after 12pm, & only 2 or 3 people came in the last hour. At one stage there were so many people there, you couldnā€™t move around the studios.

Wouldā€™ve got more people if it was on a weekend, but overall we were happy with the turnout. All visitors enjoyed their experience & left with a free CoastFM pen & stickers.

1 Like

99.7FM in Redcliffe have changed their logos/name on their website and Facebook page to Bridge FM but on air it is still referred to as ā€˜997FMā€™

I heard this a couple of weeks ago, seems a soft launch. Bridge name would be irrelevant to most.

99.7 might have an ACMA renewal coming up and consider this an attempt to look local. Itā€™s not and wonā€™t fool ACMA.

The station runs quite a commercial music format, huge amount of automation, I wonder how it survives.

1 Like

They are now using the name on air.

1 Like

JOY 94.9 Broadcasting from Etihad stadium tonight.

Are they taking the call or is it just talk till 10?

Will be the first time that a Community Station takes an AFL call if it is.

1 Like

Inner FM in Melbourne used to cover Collingwood AFL games many years ago. From memory Eddie McGuire was a commentator

Itā€™s an outside broadcast, but sounds like thereā€™s no play-by-play call

On what basis were they given an FM licence?

And on the other side of the coin, Switch is putting out dance music (and Voice of Samoa, of all things) out on glorious mono AM

Back in the Days before Nova became the Official Youth Brand, There Were Several Stations Fighting for a Full Time Licence. Most of Them Unfortunately are no Longer with us such as Hitz FM, Kix FM, Pulse FM, Wild FM and Dex FM. But Back Then you can buy CDā€™s Supporting the Aspirant Broadcasters in their Unsuccessful Bids.