Community Radio

Does 2NBC serve a council area or group of councils?

Yes. They serve Georges River (formerly Hurstville & Kogarah LGAs), and parts of Canterbury Bankstown (former Canterbury LGA), Bayside (former Rockdale LGA) & Inner West (former Marrickville LGA) LGAs.

1 Like

With the tx at Penshurst water reservoir.

2 Likes

2NBC is one of the stronger distant sub metro community stations at Stanhope Gardens.

2 Likes

JOY 94.9 are in a bit of trouble.

3 Likes

Seems to be quite some trouble:

You know thereā€™s unrest when thereā€™s a rival group forming within a membership and the current board dismisses it.

2 Likes

Geez. On air morale seemed to be a bit flat, someone on the Wednesday drive program just left after around nine yearsā€¦

The same thing happened at Hawkesbury Radio

2 Likes

Re: Joy FM - at the same time as a few leaving or raising a challenge, thereā€™s been a number on twitter tweeting their support of the current station management.

Sounds like it could be two factions clashing.

Ironically, thatā€™s what caused another station on 94.9 FM to miss out on the licence.

Back in the test broadcasts days, City FM appeared every few months for a 6 week run (per the then licence conditions). It was test broadcast 6 or 7 where a factional split saw the station knocked off the air 2 weeks into their allotted 6 week run.

Now, the format was still a long shot of getting a full-time licence, but aborting 2 weeks into a test broadcast signed their fate.

So many of those aspirant broadcasters which I think were splinter groups from Hitz FM. Kix 89.9 sprung up and managed a few test broadcasts and then even another one, K89.9, although I donā€™t think that survived more than one test broadcast.

City FM was founded by the guy that founded but had then left Hitz FM, IIRC.

I didnā€™t mind City FM. It sort of spun on to narrowcast AM station, 3XX, down at 1611 or thereabouts on the dial.

I discovered a pretty good community station today for music so far. 2GHR 96.7 FM (greater hume radio). Iā€™ll be honest I use to think Iā€™d rather more commercial radio than community radio. But I am wrong we get more variety of music on community radio.

I guess without the access of internet radio (in the past) it would be harder for me to make a call in previous years. These community stations via FM is not as easy to listen on the go.

2 Likes

Yeah, 2GHR is a fairly good community station. It was nice to hear them with live announcers on Monday 30 April as I drove down the Hume. It also runs RDS. The coverage area is fairly good, from about Tarcutta in the north and beyond the Victorian border in the south. Itā€™s also heard well up at Cabramurra, though thatā€™s cheating a little.

3 Likes

The coverage of 2GHR covers a good stretch of the Hume north of Albury in what can be a boring area when SCA and Ace are taking network boredom.

As @dxnerd mentioned, it has RDS and quite an interesting program of it. On the ā€˜text slideā€™, time and temp are show, song details, station name and other interesting info.

Coverage extends from Sylviaā€™s Gap/Tumblong Deviation south into Tarcutta/Sturt Highway right down to the Lavington end of Albury where coverage could be described on the bypass as rural at best.

3 Likes

A bit over a month old, but mehā€¦

2 Likes

The 2LND 93.7 signal from Sydney has improved significantly where I am in the last week or so.

Has any work been done on their transmitter?
I canā€™t see anything indicating a change in transmitter site.

Bridge 99.7 off air this morning in Brisbane.

1 Like

Transmitter maintenance according to their Facebook:

1 Like

Donā€™t know if this has been postedā€¦but a sign-off of sorts from Highland FM

5 Likes

How cheap is it to source a feed from BBC World Service? Or is it in the public domain?

Thatā€™s my video- thanks for posting. Yes not a true sign off but the closest youā€™ll get in the modern era.

1 Like