Community Radio

They make it work, I have never heard their STL feed drop out once, Vox is a permanent signal for me except when Newcastle ducting occurs.

The ones that do have STL issues are Move fm (snow fade), and once The Edge / Cada (rain fade) During an ECL when 300mm of rain fell on Sydney their STL feed from Artarmon to Wentworth Falls dropped out taking them off air.

Sorry went abit off track.

5 Likes

No that’s good to know! Thank you.

1 Like

Anyone been listening to 89.9 Pulse FM (2HWK) lately?

They appear to be having some serious transmission issues.
To listen, it sounds like station is fading to static randomly & at times frequently & rapidly.
Looking at the SDR spectrum, it appears the centre frequency is intermittently rapidly drifting 50kHz down to 89.85MHz.

Still on Pulse FM, listening over past days, the station is striving to attract more volunteers to perform a variety of functions at the station per regular on-air announcements.

3 Likes

94.5 FBi having some transmission issues atm.
TX on, but no audio. Additionally no stereo pilot or RDS subcarrier present.
Hope they’re working on fixing their RDS?
Update 3pm: They’re back on air with the usual blank RDS PS.

5 Likes

Boxing Day would be an unusual day to try and do it, but you never know!

2 Likes

That’s really strange they’d have the transmitter on but no audio, even if something happened at the studio & it’s highly unlikely any techs from BAI would’ve been doing any non-service restoration work today.
I’ve just looked at the photo of their transmitter & PIE rack at Gore Hill I took about 6 weeks ago & they have multiple audio backup paths. They have their normal STL through a main processor, they also have a backup off DAB receive through a backup processor, then they have a backup audio tape.
Was their DAB working or didn’t you check?
Sounds like something failed maybe at the studio & alternate audio paths at the transmitter site didn’t work & a tech had to go to studios & or transmitter site to fix?
Their RDS encoder is at Gore Hill, but I don’t know if a tech at FBI or the BAI techs look after it’s settings?

3 Likes

True.

I didn’t get to check unfortunately.

With no 19kHz stereo pilot carrier or 57kHz RDS subcarrier carrier, I guess some kind of audio/MPX processor fault for the FM TX. Someone will know. But service was restored soon enough.
Their station manager was later heard co-hosting a program on the station.

Koori had an issue with no audio for quite some time today on their FM TX too. That was most likely a studio issue either locally or their feed from NIRS/4AAA etc. It often happens with them.

I’m not sure what’s happening with 92.5 Music FM Moss Vale, has been broadcasting no programs (TX on) for many days & been becoming increasing erratic with putting audio to air in recent months. Waning enthusiasm & volunteers at the station? :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

There’s a few things I’ve noticed, they certainly wasted no time drawing in their sponsors… even so much to as not acknowledging them as a financial sponsors of that radio station… ACMA sure done their homework on this one.

Wouldn’t know about their audio/ or quality of their transmission, I run a car transmitter on 89.9 that plays nothing…

Thanks for the update! :ok_hand::pray:

1 Like

I’ve noticed Music FM from Bowral has been broadcasting dead air on FM and the stream since before Christmas!!

I’m surprised nobody has done anything about it.

I’ve reached out via social media and phone to see if I can get onto someone but no luck…

Edit: I just saw @ozbark post,

Music FM has had an odd past, they went through a few different brands like Youth Radio FM, ZGen FM with FB pages just left in the dust.

1 Like

@TheChase, Lets just say that it is likely a management issue with all board that wanted to make the station good have progressively quit over the last year or so after meeting endless resistance and eventually giving up on the dictatorship (including bullying). The couple that are left clearly don’t know how/want to do radio, or community, (or boards as that makes it an invalid board), there are no “members”, no sponsors and I believe no AGM or board meetings in the last at least 2 years so it just seems held onto as a political/personal gain/vendetta or something :man_shrugging: which is a shame.

Also I believe ACMA has been investigating it for some time now so you could always add to that inquiry if you were that way inclined :wink: it’s not doing anyone any good being active currently.

4 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, it’s sad to hear that. It seemed, from looking over the old FB page, like a vibrant community station a few years ago.

If ACMA are investigating it, then we will probably see a result in about 10 years from now ;p.

5 Likes

Is Music fm at risk of getting the attention of ACMA? They are a jukebox service most of the time with no DJ’s or Southern Highlands programming, and yes they seem to be off air quite a lot.

I don’t know how they are getting sponsorship and staying financial.

I know this won’t happen and there is no provision in the Nowra LAP, but if 2UUU and Music fm were to merge, and 92.5 could be used At Knights Hill with similar specs to Power fm. The merged station could target a younger audience for the Shoalhaven and Highlands.
Music for You would be a good positioner.

If this was to happen Highlands fm would need to find a frequency to cover the Shoalhaven and Highlands from Knights Hill too.

2 Likes

It would probably need to be at lower specs to protect the 200 watt ABC Local at Gosford and maybe RN at Portland too.

3 Likes

No this would not be necessary considering i98 is at 40KW from Knights Hill towards the Central Coast, yes the CCI is an issue in conditions like today.

At 1.5KW like Power fm towards Sydney / Central Coast the CCI will be less.

1 Like

Power is supposed to be 10kw towards Sydney and Central Coast, the 1.5 kw is only towards Wollongong.

There have been complaints about 98.1 News Radio reception on the Coast due to Muswellbrook and Wollongong CCI and considering Local Radio is vastly more popular, the ABC wouldn’t want to risk any CCI on 92.5.

5 Likes

According to the Nowra LAP they are 10KW to 360’ which is around Camden according to MySwitch bearings. from 0-70 they are 1.5KW which is most of Sydney and all of the Gong.

3 Likes

89.3 2GLF have been having audio dropout problems all day.
The stereo pilot carrier also drops out leaving just the transmission carrier.

Is providing a bit of benefit for FM dx monitoring from 89.2 to 89.4MHz :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Alas, the Es season has seemingly gone the way of Lehman Bros.

2 Likes

Yes… though there’s still hope over the next 4 weeks or so for more openings, but would need to be better than my report below.

I did actually catch some extremely weak & brief Es from NZ around midday today.
Fortuitously first catch was 89.4 Newstalk ZB Auckland & next hour later same kind of reception pattern with 94.0, 93.2 & 91.6 from Hedgehope, Southland.

All the above my first Es since late December, but so weak & brief that it wasn’t worth reporting here. I did note around the same time 6 meter band openings between Sydney & NZ on the WSPR site, again proving its worth.

2 Likes

Well how bizarre are the following sequence of events.
2GLF started having audio/transmission problems & then very recently this event from posts yesterday & today from 2GLF’s Facebook page.

NB. Radio Austral 87.8 is also off air according to above post.
Monitoring 87.8 I no longer hear Radio Austral but I do hear some other station on 87.8 playing christmas songs. Does anyone have any ideas what this station is?

3 Likes