Community Radio

Is there any difference in WHCRs signal this week compared to the last few broadcasts?

3ZZZ breaches community radio broadcast rules in its coverage on Ukraine

The Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) has found Melbourne-based community broadcaster 3ZZZ in breach of community broadcasting rules in its coverage of the invasion of Ukraine by Russia.

An ACMA investigation found that content broadcast on 3ZZZ’s 'The Russian Program’ on 24 February 2022 breached rules around factual accuracy and also stereotyped and attempted to demean Ukrainian people.

During the program, which is presented in the Russian language, the host made a number of comments stating that Russian armed forces had not carried out any “missile, air or artillery strikes on the cities of Ukraine”. The ACMA investigation found this was not accurate at the time of broadcast, with credible evidence citing 24 February 2022 as the start of Russia’s missile attacks against Ukrainian cities.

The investigation also noted the program host made statements presenting the independence of Donetsk and Luhansk from Ukraine as fact. In assessing credible external sources, including comments from Australia’s then Minister for Foreign Affairs, the ACMA is of the view that these statements were inaccurate.

ACMA Chair Nerida O’Loughlin said rules around accuracy in community radio news are in place so that listeners can be confident that what is being reported is true and credible.

“Community radio, including in-language services, fulfils a vital role in Australia’s broadcasting landscape, providing access to content audiences may not otherwise be able to find. Therefore, it’s important that audiences can trust that the information presented is accurate.

“In this case, 3ZZZ has aired material that did not meet the accuracy standards expected of a community broadcaster,” Ms O’Loughlin said.

The ACMA also found the program included content that was demeaning towards Ukrainian people on the basis of their nationality, language and political affiliations. This included a song which mocks the Ukrainian government and people, presenting a stereotype of Ukrainians that attempted to undermine their dignity.

Following the findings, 3ZZZ has entered into a court-enforceable undertaking with the ACMA that will see it provide training for all relevant staff and volunteers on compliance with the Community Radio Broadcasting Codes of Practice. The station will also establish systems, processes and practices for the identification of geo-political matters and environmental sensitivities of a serious nature, so that these can be appropriately managed in broadcasts in the future.

4 Likes

Thanks @TV.Cynic, isn’t this the second time anti Ukraine sentiment from Melb community radio has come to the regulator’s attention since Putin’s illegal action began?

2 Likes

I think it is the same complaint. This is the outcome.

4 Likes

Listening to The Vibe atm. It seems like same weak signal…

2 Likes

Some one in ACMA must be able to understand Russian otherwise how would they know? A listener wouldn’t tell them because he would believe it was the truth.

They barely do anything over there… no one even announces who they are… what is their motivation to keep on with the same Charade after finding themselves in some trouble with their license breach situation… it will be interesting when the 6th rolls around that for sure.

1 Like

There would be plenty of dual English-Russian language speakers who don’t rely on just ZZZ as a source of news. They would realise from the Australian media what was untrue. Many would probably be anti-Putin and wanting to shut down potential propaganda.

1 Like

Thanks @TV.Cynic, appreciate as always.

i’m somewhat fluent in russian and as a native english speaker i certanlyl wouldn’t get my news just from russian languge newspapers or podcasts.

4 Likes

Very curious to get your thoughts on what gap it is they should target @crankymedia

I’ll admit it’s a hard sell doing what they do on AM, but even compared to the sub-metros it’s easy to forget they exist sometimes. Even when I do think to flick bands I seldom go north of 1116.

2 Likes

what made ABA, or ACMA or whoever it was then, think it was good sense to put a youth station on AM

5 Likes

They were lucky to get a community license at all. Sydney and Melbourne missed out on a community dance station largely because the ABA heard Nova’s concerns, as they had just paid a bucket load of money on their new FM stations, targeting the under 40s. I can understand their position.

2 Likes

There were only 5 FM Brisbane - wide community stations, and in 2001 the remaining frequencies were given to multicultural (98.1) and Christian (96.5) communities, so AM was a good consolation for Switch, especially now that they are on DAB.

1 Like

Hang on, 4MBS and ZZZ original FM community licences.

4AAA added in the 90’s, pre BSA legacy.

4EB given an FM conversion by ABA in 2001 LAP. Been around since the 70’s on various AM frequencies.

96.5 Family FM given the new FM community licence in 2001 LAP as ABA lobbied hard by MPs and other influential types keen to see god power triumph and also to reduce any competitive impact to commercial stations.

Hence why Wild didn’t get the Brisbane licence, the more stereotypical community looking Switch did yet on AM, the former 4GG frequency and the rest is history.

3 Likes

Sure thing @tamago_otoko, there’s a diverse range of music genres inadequately served by commercials, 4ZZZ or JJJ.

Add in connections with uni journalism of the three Brisbane unis and the radio degree offered by USQ Springfield within the licence area to provide content and you could have a winning formula to serve the youth demo, make a big dent in the 10-17, 18-24 and <30 surveyed station demos.

Station needs a lot more organisation and professional approach than present.

What’s your thoughts @tamago_otoko ? @Brianc68 , @TV.Cynic, @Karen_Cee1, what are your ideas? Anyone else local?

4 Likes

Great thoughts. I like the idea of tying it into a local uni - not a campus station as such, but giving those studying to go into the media a vehicle with which to rehearse for the big time. SYN in Melbourne is probably a good comparable example with its links to RMIT.

I still think being stuck on AM is a significant limitation for a station working in that space. Of course in a perfect world, 4EB could have stayed on AM and a wider-appeal music-based community station would have taken the FM frequency, which would have given Brisbane listeners better options. But of course that didn’t suit the commercial competitors.

Brisbane is, in my view, rather poorly served by community stations when compared to Sydney or Melbourne. Bridge, Bay and 101FM all play in a relatively similar space that’s fairly mainstream, and Brisbane City itself doesn’t have any local-area community stations like the other two capitals do. It’s our loss that we don’t too. You are right though that Switch, with a decent-powered licence, could do well to fill a bit of that void.

5 Likes

Re-posting what I said over on the Super Radio Network Thread

In my opinion that was when it failed the most, It went from the vibrant switch1197 to the dull and boring Brisbane Youth Radio with the heart that was switch cut out.

During that time websites were lost graphics and studios disappeared and it basically shut down.

I’m not however saying the current version of switch is any better, its nothing more then a name sake but still as lifeless as Brisbane Youth Radio.

They should really have a look at how Fresh927, Radio Metro or even Kiss FM Melbourne do things in connection with the community and take that to switch, add a bit of investment with a on-air/digital refresh and you will have a humming youth station.

PS.
Maybe the owner/manager should stop channeling funds into Switch FM (buying more frequencies and studios for that) and invest in switch1197.
(Yes its the same people…)

5 Likes

I tried to get involved with switch. I’d finished producing a show on 96.5. I’d also done some fill in shifts as well.

I contacted switch about it and was told about mandatory training that i needed to do, that only ran during working hours. I was just getting my feet in at my new (non radio related) job and i knew they were worried i was going to drop everything and go back to radio. i couldn’t just ask for time off for mandatory training so i never bothered, which is a shame as i loved my time on air on 96.5

4 Likes

So frustrating to read @Tejas57 and yet all too common, you’ve had experience in Brisbane, so what’s your thoughts on what format should be on the licence?