Community Radio

Too difficult to make happen.

ACMA have already told us don’t ask for a power increase, it won’t be approved, not going to happen, & we’re having enough difficulty to get ACMA to agree with a change in frequency at the current Somesby transmission site.

Things happen slowly or not at all with ACMA, unless you’re a commercial station.

It literally took HOPE 103.2 Sydney, 2.5 years to get ACMA to approve them being able to use the main FM (commercial) antenna 20m higher up the Artarmon tower, as an alternate during tower works (Station 2 on their licence).

Who knows how long (if ever) it’ll take to get ACMA to agree with a frequency change for CoastFM?

5 Likes

That’s extremely frustrating for you, the board, members, sponsors and audience.

A realistic outlook too.

Perhaps the new local MPs within the govt could more persuasively lobby ACMA?

5 Likes

Surprising the local pollies don’t view community radio stations like they do other community groups or schools/churches, that is, a rich source of votes in a local area. I have to admit I’m not familiar with community radio myself, but do the local MPs/Councillors ever get involved much, either promoting themselves on-air or with the organisations behind the stations?

1 Like

I heard a bit of 2WAY FMs history on 103.9 whilst in Port Macquarie today.

They have been on air for nearly 30 years, and the announcer recalled some of the options that were floated for the stations name back in 1992.

Among them were 2HCR (Hastings Community Radio). One of the less popular options was 2HCE, because it seemed a bit like the word "touche’. 2WAY got the nod because it was the most popular.

1 Like

Hawkesbury Aspirant Community broadcaster; Harmony FM had a small segment today shortly after noon where the local Mayor was interviewed.
Another aspirant Pulse FM (from same area) was heard with a much longer program with the announcer chatting with local gov or VIPs, mainly focused on the floods & local events a couple of weeks ago.

2 Likes

Speaking of a community radio station turning 30 this year, Coast FM on the Central Coast are celebrating their 30th birthday this month, in which they commenced full-time transmissions as 2CCC before becoming known on-air as Coast FM in 2006. 2CCC is still being used as the station’s callsign.

From their Facebook page:

4 Likes

Had a really cool first show back tonight… moved to the Wednesday night time slot 6-8pm (works out bec I am there paneling for the Ballarat Footy talk show afterwards)

Had top of the hour news from my good mate Leo over at 6 News. A much better day to do a program.

Music from the charts, lots of requests! Absolutely sensational. :fire:

5 Likes

you better get the webmaster to change the programs on ur website :smiley:

4 Likes

Yup we could get a program guide update… my show doesn’t really have a name lol

2 Likes

The Minister for Communications visited Braidwood FM a while ago, mainly for a photo op but also to acknowledge our bushfire coverage. There are also government grants we can apply for. However, community radio is generally more than arms length away from government- a good thing generally.

As to the substance of your question, I really don’t think community radio has much clout politically. Which is a shame; as I argued previously it should be a national treasure. At the end of the day many people think community radio is a luxury, a somewhat frivolous pastime for those involved. Certainly not in the same league as schools and even churches. I’d argue religious groups massage the ego more than community radio stations, but that’s my opinion only.

6 Likes

It does: The Darby Travers Show.

Simple as that.

3 Likes

Agree with your views @dxnerd.

Community radio perhaps needs to be more persuasive with lobbying.

You could analogise religious groups and community radio to that of the wine sector compared to all other alcohol categories who don’t have as favourable an ear with the govt.

4 Likes

Not to mention the gambling sector. Want a high powered horse racing station in a market where there are few FM frequencies available? No wuckers.

5 Likes

Wednesday drive with Darby Travers :joy:
Doesn’t really matter what I call it… got voiceovers that I can intro with

4 Likes

Interesting points, and I largely agree. I guess I’d just thought, the politicians I know/have worked with generally make a point of getting involved with or attending meetings at a lot of community groups - religious/education ones primarily, but also things like Probus/Lions clubs etc, mainly to get their face out there in voterland. I just wonder why local community radio stations with similar levels of local engagement (theoretically) might not gather the same attention politically.

1 Like

I suspect, $$$$$$$

2 Likes

Not to mention old blokes who didn’t make it in commercial radio living out their fantasies.

3 Likes

Maybe before but now its old blokes who commercial radio has burnt… Look around the community world, Heaps of ex-commercial radio announcers!

3 Likes

We have Pete Diskon ex 2EC; he also does a few shows on 2EAR FM. He is actually based in Batemans Bay.

2 Likes

Even some ex ABC people too. Debbie Spillane was with us at 2BBB for a few years.

6 Likes