Community Radio

Don’t Apple and Google have some control over which apps make it onto their car platforms? I don’t think this is necessarily community radios fault.

1 Like

I don’t think that is the issue as it is already approved for the app store.

Their original release said the following

More features will be rolled out soon, where listeners will be able to access their favourite station through Google Nest devices, and in the car via Apple Carplay and Android Auto

4 Likes

Apple do control the apps that can be carplay compatible, but this mostly to ensure the apps don’t distract the driver, or require them to pick up there phone. the process is simple, you apply to apple, get the profile allowing you to add carplay in xcode create the app, and push it to apple. apple will than go tough the normal evaluation process, including checking the carplay part meets requirements than publish it.

Last time i applied for carplay entitlement it took a week for the correct profile to be supplied to me

3 Likes

Yup on the website it still says coming soon.
Either way mine and I’m sure a lot of other stations are getting onboard with promoting Community Radio +

3 Likes

Heading up to the big smoke of Mars Stadium for the first time tomorrow. It is North Ballarat hosting the travelling Bacchus Marsh Cobras in our Apple FM BFL Game Day coverage !

5 Likes

Bridge FM 99.7 is off air.

3 Likes

@TheChase wonder where WHCR are going to be broadcasting from today… they’re determined if they make it to air, I give them that :thinking::sweat_smile:

1 Like

This was apparently due to Optus Maintenance works at their transmitter site location (the shared Water tower) according to their Facebook.

1 Like

In Bendigo tonight.

It’s certainly well served for community radio, FOUR stations, though Fresh FM 101.5 (3BBS) struggles with reception in town. 1 kw from Mt Alexander (27 km away) isn’t really adequate.

The other three are also low power but have sites much closer to Bendigo town and thus have much better reception (KLFM 96.5, Life 105,1 and Phoenix 106.7). They all appear to be decent stations. KL is the only one with RDS.

1 Like

Very weak in Stanhope Gardens, much weaker then River.

If WHCR is owned by CAM they have two sites according to ACMA-

1349 Bells Line of Road and the Transgrid Tower at the highest point on Burralow Rd

It is only licenced to 50w towards Sydney and 32W towards the west.

@TheChase correct me if I am wrong.

1 Like

I believe they do have two transmitter sites however I don’t believe any are currently been used for transmissions that are going to air at the moment, but I haven’t spoken to Joe or been a part of them for a very long time so I cannot confirm.

2 Likes

This show is on Phoenix FM Bendigo right now.

It’s another great 80s music show airing on a number of our great community radio stations.

2 Likes

Braidwood FM airs ‘Totally 80s’ on a Thursday night at 8 PM. It’s an interesting listen as it’s from the UK, so you always hear stuff that didn’t chart here. And for the truely adventurous, there’s the venerable ‘Crap From The Past’ on at 9 PM right after Totally 80s.

2 Likes

Ping @dxnerd

4 Likes

Yes I knew you’d find that one Mr. Expert :slight_smile: I was going to go but they had enough talking 'eads there (and I wasn’t involved in the bushfire coverage anyhow). That’s Gordon at the back and ex 2EC jock Pete Diskon on the far right.

2 Likes

FBI is currently off air, and has been for quite some time now. @RFBurns are you aware of any maintenance at Gore Hill which would require all the other stations to use FBI’s antenna which would force FBI off air?

4 Likes
2 Likes

Nope, maintenance that would force that wouldn’t be done during the day, it’d be done overnight between midnight & 4am, it’d only be a critical main FM antenna failure that would cause that during the day.

If the other FM’s at Gore hill were to use the FBI antenna, the ABC’s/SBS would be low power & NOVA & Smooth would be off air, for NOVA & Smooth to stay on air, all Gore Hill FM’s would have to be at extremely low power, as the FBI antenna couldn’t handle the power otherwise.

Could actually be a FBI transmitter fault, but then they have a spare they can switch to, could also be a FBI antenna fault or there could possibly be tower works lower down the tower near the FBI antenna, so it needs to be off for safety, I’m not aware of anything though?

2 Likes

According to the ABC outages site, there’s overnight outages for the ABC FM’s at Gore Hill all next week starting Monday, so there could be some works at Gore Hill affecting things, but it’s not known what that might be by me, my sources aren’t revealing anything & I no longer work at TXA Sydney.

3 Likes

FBI has just come back on air. When it came back on their audio was dropping in and out and sounded like a dab+ signal breaking up.

Obviously the problem was at their end, what ever it was.

3 Likes